KiwiBoy2011
PARKED
A big Kia Ora (Greetings) to everyone from all over the World,
My name is Aaron, 26 years old, originally from New Zealand.
Done the whole 4 years of business school, majored in HR and Marketing (Have little interest in either) - worked 2 years for the Government back home and got sick of barely earning enough to survive on.
I have always been business minded but have lacked the confidence in recent years to really put myself out there. Im surrounded by a pessimistic Girlfriend and Family members and I haved always seemed to lean towards high risk endevours.
Before I left NZ, me and a friend had a go at importing a product from China. We imported 20 worksite quality wheelbarrows (as a trial) at around $19USD a unit and intended to sell them via a NZ website called TradeMe (Ebay doesnt yet exist in NZ) - The first obstacle was getting the product through NZ Customs - A very pricy and time consuming experience, and then there was the associated importation levys and other related costs which resulted in us both having to fork out extra cash. The wheelbarrows didnt sell as we had envisaged and my Friend couldnt handle the feeling that we had failed (in his mind) so pretty much pulled out of the whole deal.
Considering it was only 20 wheelbarrows, I had always seen the whole operation as a learning curve and I did learn alot.
I wanted to leave my job in NZ and start earning the Aussie Dollar, so thats what I did. Last year I moved across the tasman and got a job paying 20K more than I was earning in NZ. I was so happy about this, if I converted my new Aussie Salary to $NZ I would be earning over 90K - alot of money for a Kiwiboy in his 20's!!! But then I thought about the sort of boring, uninspiring industry that I am working in. I am Happy, but we have a huge mortgage back home and living costs in Sydney are high.
I have an entrepreneurial spirit inside of me that just wants to be let loose and I think Sydney is much like New York (for a Kiwi LOL) in that you can make anything happen!!
People seem to have much higher disposable incomes over this side of the tasman and this is quite easy to understand given the larger economy and how well it has sustained itself through the recessionary years.
Anyway instead of harping on, I believe I have a few things that I could work on:
1) I have a knack for humorous poetry - If I am given enough information about a person/event or object, I can use words/rhymes to write a poem. Many people have this talent but I believe I have something unique in that humour is my speciality and I believe this could be harnessed for greeting cards/marketing/TV or Radio ad's. I would be happy to give anyone a Trial of the type of poetry that I create - just send me details - I would appreciate honest opinions.
I thought about setting up my own website creating custom made poems for different occassions - there are a few that currently exist on the internet but the sites are boring and he poetry bland/not contemporary. If I created a website and marketed it properly I could maybe make something out of it.
That is just one of my ideas, obviously I love to keep an eye on the Sharemarket and wish I had money to play around with investing in IPO's or Venture Capitalism endevours but at the moment, Im trying to work with what ive got.
Thanks for reading this far, I look forward to being a part of this community and learning further from the forums!
Aaron
My name is Aaron, 26 years old, originally from New Zealand.
Done the whole 4 years of business school, majored in HR and Marketing (Have little interest in either) - worked 2 years for the Government back home and got sick of barely earning enough to survive on.
I have always been business minded but have lacked the confidence in recent years to really put myself out there. Im surrounded by a pessimistic Girlfriend and Family members and I haved always seemed to lean towards high risk endevours.
Before I left NZ, me and a friend had a go at importing a product from China. We imported 20 worksite quality wheelbarrows (as a trial) at around $19USD a unit and intended to sell them via a NZ website called TradeMe (Ebay doesnt yet exist in NZ) - The first obstacle was getting the product through NZ Customs - A very pricy and time consuming experience, and then there was the associated importation levys and other related costs which resulted in us both having to fork out extra cash. The wheelbarrows didnt sell as we had envisaged and my Friend couldnt handle the feeling that we had failed (in his mind) so pretty much pulled out of the whole deal.
Considering it was only 20 wheelbarrows, I had always seen the whole operation as a learning curve and I did learn alot.
I wanted to leave my job in NZ and start earning the Aussie Dollar, so thats what I did. Last year I moved across the tasman and got a job paying 20K more than I was earning in NZ. I was so happy about this, if I converted my new Aussie Salary to $NZ I would be earning over 90K - alot of money for a Kiwiboy in his 20's!!! But then I thought about the sort of boring, uninspiring industry that I am working in. I am Happy, but we have a huge mortgage back home and living costs in Sydney are high.
I have an entrepreneurial spirit inside of me that just wants to be let loose and I think Sydney is much like New York (for a Kiwi LOL) in that you can make anything happen!!
People seem to have much higher disposable incomes over this side of the tasman and this is quite easy to understand given the larger economy and how well it has sustained itself through the recessionary years.
Anyway instead of harping on, I believe I have a few things that I could work on:
1) I have a knack for humorous poetry - If I am given enough information about a person/event or object, I can use words/rhymes to write a poem. Many people have this talent but I believe I have something unique in that humour is my speciality and I believe this could be harnessed for greeting cards/marketing/TV or Radio ad's. I would be happy to give anyone a Trial of the type of poetry that I create - just send me details - I would appreciate honest opinions.
I thought about setting up my own website creating custom made poems for different occassions - there are a few that currently exist on the internet but the sites are boring and he poetry bland/not contemporary. If I created a website and marketed it properly I could maybe make something out of it.
That is just one of my ideas, obviously I love to keep an eye on the Sharemarket and wish I had money to play around with investing in IPO's or Venture Capitalism endevours but at the moment, Im trying to work with what ive got.
Thanks for reading this far, I look forward to being a part of this community and learning further from the forums!
Aaron
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
