The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kindle Unlimited and Everything Else

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Hey everyone! I know that someone posted a thread a while back about Kindle Unlimited, but I wanted to see how everyone is doing these days in light of the $$ paid for each KU download is decreasing. I went from a 5k+ monthly income from last year to about $500... thankfully designing book covers have saved my bacon!

I know that it's not fastlane to depend on one particular thing (amazon) so I've been tossing around some ideas for a website that publishes romance/new adult/soft erotica since Amazon has been kicking a lot off. My problem is that I'm a writer and a pretty decent graphic designer... not a coder and have no start up capital for it... right now. So I'm working on finding a programmer that might want to partner with me or perhaps trade services for services. Anyway, that's what I have going on. How about you guys?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
@Rainy_TX. I'm still writing and still doing well. If you were able to make $5,000, you could make $10,000... $20,000, who knows? Though it's more difficult today than in years past, it's still achievable.

Andrew Ward

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 29, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Programmers get equity requests for development all the time. Typically it will be taken as an insult to ask.

The way around this is to put something into the equation that has high perceived value to your potential partner. For example let's say you have written a whole novel to publish through your platform and some indication of the market demand for it. This way going in to partnership looks more attractive.

If you do go into a 50/50 partnership and set up a company then make sure you put a shareholders agreement into place.

My view though: there is more value in your content than the website coding. It sounds like the coding you are after is a fairly common thing and it is actually the content that is your USP.

Check out themeforest.net . You may be able to find a theme that has been built to do what you want already. If you do then get some hosting, buy a domain, and pay someone to install it for you and be available for ad-hoc support if you need it (this shouldn't be too expensive, it is under an hours work, maybe two with the support time).

As long as you don't mind having to play around with setting it up yourself (you shouldn't need to code anything) then you are ready to roll.

Make sure the theme does what you want before you buy and install it though. Extending or changing features is where it becomes more expensive as you will need a dev to re-write how bits are done and it may not be as simple as you may think.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
It happens to everyone. Have you moved on from self-publishing?

Rainy_TX

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
It happens to everyone. Have you moved on from self-publishing?

No, not exactly. I have about 24 titles out, but I found that I like designing covers. Been doing decent at it until the other day where I stumbles upon THE forum to market my services. I've sold 18 custom cover designs since then! I am even looking at hiring a freelancer to help me with the designs so I can keep up. lol Perhaps I'll be up to that 6k again soon... and beyond. :) (Proving you right, once again) ;)

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
I've sold 18 custom cover designs since then! I am even looking at hiring a freelancer to help me with the designs so I can keep up.
That's great to hear. I don't know where I'd be without my cover designer. I'd pay three times what she charges, maybe more.

GiroudJD

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
361%
Dec 25, 2013
MPLS
KU has certainly killed a lot of people's incomes. Shorts are no longer lucrative like they were. It's all about novels these days. So unless you go wide, it's better to try and write longer works.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Rainy did you advertise on Kboards? People look for covers there all the time.

KU slashed my income in half I'd venture to say. But the basics are still there. I'm adjusting and going to break my previous record.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.