The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Kevin O’ Leary says investing $100 a week will make you a millionaire by retirement

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Keep in mind that a very small portion of the population thinks like we do. Kevin is not addressing us... he is talking to people that don't have it in themselves to build businesses.
A very good point SteveO. I wrestle with this frequently. I know a lot of people who want to do better but are not ready to go Fastlane. I know if I push Fastlane too hard they will shut down or ignore me. So I try to help them "do better" in the slow lane AND keep exposing them to Fastlane principles in the hope that they will decide to make the change or at least know there is another option if they have an FTE. I don't believe there's anything inherently wrong with this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Also he is answering the questions being asked. The interviewer didn't ask how to do what he did, or followup on that success when he briefly mentions it. When he's on Shark Tank etc.. he has no problem on talking about how to grow a business and make more money etc..

So the lesson I'll take is, try to ask the right questions! The interviewer has a multi millionaire that retired early and you are asking them how to make 1 million in 40+ years.

I know when I have improved aspects of my life, there is a moment of why isn't everyone doing this! and I would want to share with others around me how worth it the change was and how they could do the same etc... I learned quick people don't want to hear about change until they are forced to. So am sure O'Leary has experienced that on a magnitude much higher and sticks to appeasing people.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Keeping spending in check is never going to be something you regret later. Whether I think this $100 per week thing is stupid or not... Meh...

I think setting up an automatic withdrawal from my checking account to my investment account when it gets above a certain threshold was one of the best things I ever did to grow my net worth. Every penny over my threshold goes to net worth.

Then, if I want to buy something outside of my threshold... Which is rare... It forces me to seriously weigh the opportunity cost of making money flow the other way.

As @MJ DeMarco said, you are also fighting inflation. At least 70% of my holdings are not dollar denominated. I am certainly not advocating for a traditional portfolio managed by a 23 year old at Edward Jones.

I just got used to living on way less than I make. The cool part, investments are now responsible for a very large part of my annual income and it never even flows through the checking account.

Value I created years ago is not only still in my possession, but has also grown... I think that is super cool.

Last edited:

dennisgerik

Unemployable?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 24, 2015
Seattle, WA
I wonder if Kevin would be willing to donate his entire fortune and start over with $100 bucks, follow his strategy.

I bet the Snake Oil Salesman is afraid to take his own potion?!?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

There was a local businessman from my town who owned an electrical services company. A friend of my parents manages investments, he’s one of the typical “financial planner” guys - the electrical business guy was one of his clients (far wealthier than the financial planner).

He said this electrical business owner used to deposit a $100,000 check per week. That’s $5.2 million per year.

I’m not sure how accurate this is, and I don’t think this was something he compounded and did every year (some of it was just in CD’s and bonds) but this business owner ended up starting his own nonprofit organization after he retired.

So he had a business system (with many employees) but he was also investing regularly... but far more than “$100 per week.”

This guy also sat on the boards of a number of small banks in Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
He said this electrical business owner used to deposit a $100,000 check per week. That’s $5.2 million per year.

Exactly. Saving $100 a month is a futile exercise in reality, but it is a great exercise in principle. When you start earning the big money, then saving $50,000 a month won't seem so unusual. And don't forget the taxes on earning $100K/mo comes out to about $125,000 EVERY QUARTER. So if you aren't saving a lot of it (and instead are blowing it on cars and boats) you'll find yourself in deep doo-doo.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Exactly. Saving $100 a month is a futile exercise in reality, but it is a great exercise in principle. When you start earning the big money, then saving $50,000 a month won't seem so unusual. And don't forget the taxes on earning $100K/mo comes out to about $125,000 EVERY QUARTER. So if you aren't saving a lot of it (and instead are blowing it on cars and boats) you'll find yourself in deep doo-doo.
Spot on MJ. I've seen many a good company, of all sizes, falter/fail because the didn't save and weren't able to survive - or were severely crippled by - the inevitable hits: fire, hurricane, down turns, taxes, pandemic, etc. Saving is an important discipline no matter how much you're raking in.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
To be fair there is a section in Kevin’s book “Cold hard truth” titled “Don’t take advice from dilettantes” and says don’t listen to people unless they are self made millionaires. And his book does center around entrepreneurship.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Spot on MJ. I've seen many a good company, of all sizes, falter/fail because the didn't save and weren't able to survive - or were severely crippled by - the inevitable hits: fire, hurricane, down turns, taxes, pandemic, etc. Saving is an important discipline no matter how much you're raking in.
For sure. I think people really underestimate how much cash a business needs in the bank in case of emergencies, shortfalls and slow periods. Of course, even the best businesses couldn’t have enough saved for months of lockdowns due to Covid (except for the biggest companies in the world like FAANG).

Cash savings are vital to a business.

LloydVII

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Sep 7, 2017
pittsburgh
I think it’s also helpful to think about WHY so much BS is pushed through financial headlines. One of those reasons in my opinion is that of the central banking corporate partnership. Almost all media companies are private and it’s in their interest to push dumb headlines like: “Click here to read how this couple retired off credit card airline points!”

You wanna build wealth, copy the modus operandi of the institutions that push this stuff. And that’s to own and control infrastructure. You wanna participate in the infrastructure of any economy to build massive income. It can be digital or physical.

The funny thing is most central banks don’t give a crap about the money they loan out because it’s created out of nothing lol. Well they do, but they care more about the asset or infrastructure. That’s why they love long-term-asset-backed securities.
Pure facts, they want to keep the populous average or "in the rat race". The key is to learn what the %1 do, not what they say they do or tell us to do.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ DeMarco says if you save $100 a month for 50 years you will die in regret as you saved your youth away, and in 50 years, thanks to rampant inflation, your millionaire status will buy you only a brand new Chevy Malibu with a big trunk for your wheelchair. Some retirement chump!

G

Guest-5ty5s4

MJ DeMarco says if you save $100 a month for 50 years you will die in regret as you saved your youth away, and in 50 years, thanks to rampant inflation, your millionaire status will buy you only a brand new Chevy Malibu with a big trunk for your wheelchair. Some retirement chump!

Is there any chance of our economy becoming *deflationary* ?

That's the only thing holding me back from going balls to the wall with business loans etc.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is there any chance of our economy becoming *deflationary* ?

Right now I think inflationary pressure is kicking a$$ over deflationary pressure.

Housing is skyrocketing.
Labor is skyrocketing.
Raw materials are skyrocketing.
Oil has been on the upswing after years and years of lows.
Money printing is not slowing.
Gold and BTC, skyrocketing.

Deflation? Nope, not unless unemployment starts to tick back up.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Lost a lot of respect for some of the Sharks recently.

Daymond John teaming up ragingbull.com View: https://twitter.com/thesharkdaymond/status/1186642849003126785

Link to article on rb website.

Raging Bull currently have a FTC Case for *alleged* fraud for over $137 million

Kevin O'Leary is prostituting himself out on Cameo, damn near endorsing products for money.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3gH6zqjU-8

D

Deleted74925

In fifty years, $1M will be equivalent to $50K in today's money. Your "millionaire" title will be as worthless as a Zimbabwe or an Indian Rupee millionaire.

I almost fell off of my chair after reading this so I had to look at the present value. That seems so low!

$50k today will be 1.5M with a 7% inflation rate.
$50k today will be 570k with a 5% inflation rate.
$50k today will be 2.3M with a 8% inflation rate.

1612840035580.png

I'm ignorant about what a reasonable investment return would be over this time period.

Google says that the inflation rate is 1.8%/year. Then with interest at 5%, that would be about 7%. We should go a step further by discounting by probability as well as time. If the investment is higher risk, then the probability of a return is lower, and so the expected value is also lower.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Yessss invest in the rigged stock market. Yessss maybe one day you'll have a million dollars. Yessss don't factor in inflation.

Bruh the stock market is a$$.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I almost fell off of my chair after reading this so I had to look at the present value. That seems so low!

$50k today will be 1.5M with a 7% inflation rate.
$50k today will be 570k with a 5% inflation rate.
$50k today will be 2.3M with a 8% inflation rate.

View attachment 36707

I'm ignorant about what a reasonable investment return would be over this time period.

Google says that the inflation rate is 1.8%/year. Then with interest at 5%, that would be about 7%. We should go a step further by discounting by probability as well as time. If the investment is higher risk, then the probability of a return is lower, and so the expected value is also lower.

At 1.8% inflation, you would need $122,000 after 50 years to be equal to $50,000 today. It’s not a huge disparity if you could earn, say, 5% returns.

But is inflation *actually* only 1.8%? And is it really going to stay that low?
And how about stock market returns - are they “safe?”

Definitely not.

MJ is onto something with that. That’s my favorite takeaway from Unscripted , you can’t trust and depend on this slow lane investing stuff... And of course, in 50 years, the odds are you'll be dead or so old you can't do too much.
But, you can also build a legacy, which is something I look forward to doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I read this thread from start to finish. I agree. Just saving money every week is not going to buy much wealth very fast -- even if you start early. But, you must start somewhere...
I agree that you need to self-employed. Owning a business is one of the only way I know to really build wealth. But, you can also go broke fast...
IF you also don't have student loans, credit card debt, and other debts -- your chances of being successful are really enhanced. You also will weather downturns much better. But, then you can't use debt to jump-start your business growth and gain an education. BUT, the lack of available capital is the number reason for business failure...

Are you seeing a pattern here? There is NO right answer. There is no perfect path to success and wealth. There are sets of classic mistakes that will probably cause you to fall on your face. Failing is way easier than making it work. It's not magic. It's using resources to enhance one's personal future. It's gaining a useful education and making meaningful contacts. It's correcting and enhancing the path as you go.
Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.