The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just a thought for future goals. Looking for all your thoughts.

Adam K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Apr 9, 2008
Born in Brooklyn NY, Living in Virginia
As everyone knows I purchased my first place in VA back in January of 2008. Ended up having to knock it down to foundation and rebuild it. I was going to live in the basement and rent the upstairs. The property is doing well btw I still have not rented it yet just because I still want to do a few things to be able to get more for rent. But im in the basement and am building my 30x30 2 floor garage now. I will add pics at a later dae.

Back to the point of my thread :eek:fftopic:. I have been looking in my area for quite sometime now that I live here. I am right next to the quantico military base with alot of military money. I am seeing alot of property up forsale mostly townhomes. In the 60k to 130k range mostly foreclosures. Since the foreclosures have gone up so has crime in this area. Mainly due to the boarded up houses they make easy targets. I know from a very good source that Quantico is going to be getting 50k more troops (with families) to this area and are already maxed out on there ability to house them all.

Now what I was thinking was going back to what Robert Kiyosaki stated in one of his books the ABCs of RE Investing. Sometimes revitalizing a neighborhood can turn a bad investment into a good one. (Probably not an exact quote but its close).

I am thinking about going a step further instead of just buying properties to rent in this area. Buying a larger property and building an apartment building in its place. I have one property possibility already its an old run down Inn that is used to house mostly enlisted marines, and in some cases hookers and drug dealers. The property is much larger than the inn with more than enough room to build a larger building than whats on it with more than enough parking.

Im thinking that taking this obvious drag down on the area. Building a large apartment buidling to not only help with the lack of housing for the military but also work on revitalizing the area. (And of course making a good profit for me)

Right now this is more a thought that I have only put a little time and effort into. So far I have spoken to the owner of the Inn not telling him any of my plans just engraciating myself apon him. (Fixed the computer at his house and the office at the inn.) The vibes I got from him is he is 55 years old and doesnt want to deal with the hookers and drug dealers anymore. Probably looking to retire soon so suffice it to say I could probably pickup the property for a good price under market value.

I have spoken to my Uncle that built my house for me to work up some ficticous numbers on how much it would cost to demolish the old building and put up a new 75 to 100 unit apartment building. I also spoke to a friend of mine who works for the county about permits that would be needed. Im still waiting for this information from them but I should get it within the next 2 weeks or so.

(Edited) Just thought of something else. As a second options just in case things dont go the way I plan. I could clean up the Inn update it give it a face lift turning it into a long stay type motel for the military personnel. So I could hold the property make some money off of it until all plans are finalized. I could raise the rents get a better occupancy rate (Better quality of tenants) doing this as you all know could raise the property value. Helping with the cost of building.

Anyone with any feedback, thoughts, concerns, or anything I havent thought of yet would be helpful.
Thanks!
Adam

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Re: Just a thought for future goals. Looking for all your thought

You need to start off by finding out for sure if there is a contract for more troops. Start off by contacting your local Chamber of Commerce and see what they know about it. Sometimes a contract for more troops can be delayed, canceled or spread out over a period of 5+ years. Obviously this is important to know if you are planning on providing housing.

Perhaps since these other properties are in foreclosure, you could get them in contract with a "subject to" clause.

As a side note, most Military need self-storage. You may want to consider researching demand in your area for it.

Keep us posted. :)

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)

I know from a very good source that Quantico is going to be getting 50k more troops (with families) to this area
How sure are you about this? I would surprised if military spending does anything but drop in the near future...

Edit: cross-posted Yves.

Adam K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Apr 9, 2008

Thanks for responses so far,

My information comes straight from a high level Marine 2 star General. I sold a car to him a couple months ago. During the transaction we started speaking about RE investing I told him about my goals and plans. He was the one who told me im pretty sure that he knows being he is head to the department that handles where the troops are sent.

He also said that there are 3 bases being closed due to budget cuts. Quantico is one of the largest Marine bases in the US and wont be closed only expanded. That is my only information source.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008

You should confirm the information before investing a lot of money. If he is wrong you lose.

Adam K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Apr 9, 2008

You should confirm the information before investing a lot of money. If he is wrong you lose.

I agree

I am just not sure who else I can speak to to get the right information. Besides the Chamber of Commerce is there anywhere else I can get that information from?

Thanks

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008

I don't know, I have never delt with a military base.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.