The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jumping From Idea to Idea & Multiple Startups

Idea threads

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
On this journey, you're going to run into obstacles.

They are a normal part of the process, but what you do when you face them determines your success or failure. When I began my journey, I used to think of obstacles as a bad thing. I had dream and desires to have quick success, and when I ran onto a roadblock, I stood in my tracks.

The feeling, the frustration of not knowing what to do next, and the desire to reach my goal now left me not knowing what to do.

I was left with two options:
  1. Push through the frustration, put in the hard work to figure out how to do something I've never done before, or
  2. I could jump to the next idea that seems like it will lead to success.
In the past, I actually thought the second choice would be the best option. I mean, every bit of energy inside of me screamed to jump to the quick win, to take the path of least resistance. It just felt like the right idea.

So I did just that: When I faced an obstacle or struggle, not seeing success right away, I told myself "It wasn't meant to be" so I jumped to the next idea...and then the next....and the next...and the next.

Little did I know at the time that these obstacles we faced were not only a normal part of the process, but actually a sign that we are on the right path.

Each time you lose your focus, you're back at the very beginning.

It's like building a sandcastle.

Imagine going to the beach and your goal is to build one massive, giant sand castle.

You walk down near the ocean, an you put down a bucket of sand. It's messy, it's sloppy, and it looks nothing like what you want. You want the big sand castle, but its not here! So what do you do?

You walk ten feet down the beach. "This looks like a better spot! If I build THIS sand castle, it will happen faster!" You tell yourself.

So you put down a bucket of sand and you realize you didn't achieve your goal yet.

Somebody else comes along and tells you that there is an amazing place to build sand castles down the beach. The way he described it made it sound easy, and your desire to take the path of least resistance has you leaving all your work behind, and you're back from the start.

What happens when you get there?

The same exact thing. All of a sudden, you have hundreds of buckets of sand laying on the beach, with no real progress to show for it.

You remain exactly where you are when you keep jumping from idea to idea.

I like to view the world in terms of energy.

Imagine that each grain of sand represents a unit of energy.

The more energy you put into the dream that you're building, the larger it gets.

You put one bucket of sand down...and then the next, and then the next. You don't see results right away, but this is actually normal. While everybody else is out there jumping from idea to idea, and seeing no progress, you now know you have the focus and commitment to focus on ONE thing for an extended period of time.

While other people are trying to build multiple "projects" at once, every ounce of sand...every ounce of energy they put into the thing that is not their ONE, LARGE, ENORMOUS goal...is energy wasted, and energy scattered.

Do you want to know what happens when you start building that ONE big sand castle?
  • A seagull will poop on it.
  • Kids will come over and kick down the walls to your castle.
  • The tide will come in and the waves may come knocking it down.
And do you know what you do?

You keep pushing forward with your ONE goal, and continue to put all of your energy into this ONE thing until it become what you want it to be.

All of a sudden, you'll have this best selling book, you'll be the singer on stage performing for thousands of people, you'll have that big business that makes millions of dollars...and you will look back.

You will look back and see other people on this journey try to build a hundred of different things, jumping from one idea to the next when they don't see results right away. You will see those out there who promise the quick path to riches, wealth, and fame...and people will fall for their lies.

When they jump from idea to idea, and take their focus off of the ONE thing they need to be putting 100% of their mental and physical energy into, they will continue to be stuck where they are.

And what would you want to tell them? What would you tell a past version of yourself who didn't that one of the "secrets" for massive, lasting success is to focus all your energy on one massive thing, pushing through the obstacles and failures along the way!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016
ok i get what you are saying and i too had a similiar question. But also sometimes the best thing would be to chose option 2. If you saw a gap in the market and had the opportunity to act on it, where do you draw the line between toughing something out or jumping on to a "once in a lifetime opportunity?" I guess that's life?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
ok i get what you are saying and i too had a similiar question. But also sometimes the best thing would be to chose option 2. If you saw a gap in the market and had the opportunity to act on it, where do you draw the line between toughing something out or jumping on to a "once in a lifetime opportunity?" I guess that's life?
I choose my path wisely before walking down it. I set my destination/goal for the future (Lake Tahoe house on the water)

I then discover my core values (what is important to me with the bussiness I start) and then I run full speed ahead, adjusting for things that come up along the way.

I see Opportunities as abundant, not once in a lifetime. I could make $50,000 per month on Amazon by the end of the year - all my friends do it, and I have what it takes to do it too. It's a current opportunity in the market

But that's taking energy away from my long term vision and not core values.

The opportunity takes you down a path to your end goal (travel, house, lambo, etc) - I reached the point where i grew tired of teleporting back to the bottom of the mountain because another trail seemed easier and quicker

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

I'd look at your reasons, first and foremost.

There are lots of reasons to pivot (or jump completely), including:
  • This product is losing demand and the industry is dying. (macro)
  • Customers don't like the solution I've provided, despite selling multiple. (micro)
  • I legally cannot offer this solution anymore. (either)
If you're just thinking "I'm only making $50/month with this business, I could make way more with another!" then you need to think harder.

Why are you only making $50/month? How many customers do you have? How big are your competitors? How much do you spend on acquiring customers? Do you spend anything on acquiring customers? How many hours a day do you put into the business (and I mean REALLY put into the business)? How much of your time is spent acquiring customers? What are customers saying about your solution (hate it or love it)?

What are your profit margins? Is there anything you can do to grow them (increase price, decrease cost)? Is there anything else you can offer to customers that they might want?

And can you REALLY make way more with the other option? What makes you think you can? Do you have experience in that other business? Are you an expert? Can you offer something truly unique to the other one that you can't offer to the current one?

If you simply can't find the answer... don't jump. Stay the course and put more effort into your business. The answer will become clear in time. And no, there's no right or wrong. If there was, this shit would be easy and you know what they say about easy... :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
I have to tell you, I've experienced a lot of this and the only time I've ever been successful in my life was when I focused on 1 thing.

Awesome post!

On this journey, you're going to run into obstacles.

They are a normal part of the process, but what you do when you face them determines your success or failure. When I began my journey, I used to think of obstacles as a bad thing. I had dream and desires to have quick success, and when I ran onto a roadblock, I stood in my tracks.

The feeling, the frustration of not knowing what to do next, and the desire to reach my goal now left me not knowing what to do.

I was left with two options:
  1. Push through the frustration, put in the hard work to figure out how to do something I've never done before, or
  2. I could jump to the next idea that seems like it will lead to success.
In the past, I actually thought the second choice would be the best option. I mean, every bit of energy inside of me screamed to jump to the quick win, to take the path of least resistance. It just felt like the right idea.

So I did just that: When I faced an obstacle or struggle, not seeing success right away, I told myself "It wasn't meant to be" so I jumped to the next idea...and then the next....and the next...and the next.

Little did I know at the time that these obstacles we faced were not only a normal part of the process, but actually a sign that we are on the right path.

Each time you lose your focus, you're back at the very beginning.

It's like building a sandcastle.

Imagine going to the beach and your goal is to build one massive, giant sand castle.

You walk down near the ocean, an you put down a bucket of sand. It's messy, it's sloppy, and it looks nothing like what you want. You want the big sand castle, but its not here! So what do you do?

You walk ten feet down the beach. "This looks like a better spot! If I build THIS sand castle, it will happen faster!" You tell yourself.

So you put down a bucket of sand and you realize you didn't achieve your goal yet.

Somebody else comes along and tells you that there is an amazing place to build sand castles down the beach. The way he described it made it sound easy, and your desire to take the path of least resistance has you leaving all your work behind, and you're back from the start.

What happens when you get there?

The same exact thing. All of a sudden, you have hundreds of buckets of sand laying on the beach, with no real progress to show for it.

You remain exactly where you are when you keep jumping from idea to idea.

I like to view the world in terms of energy.

Imagine that each grain of sand represents a unit of energy.

The more energy you put into the dream that you're building, the larger it gets.

You put one bucket of sand down...and then the next, and then the next. You don't see results right away, but this is actually normal. While everybody else is out there jumping from idea to idea, and seeing no progress, you now know you have the focus and commitment to focus on ONE thing for an extended period of time.

While other people are trying to build multiple "projects" at once, every ounce of sand...every ounce of energy they put into the thing that is not their ONE, LARGE, ENORMOUS goal...is energy wasted, and energy scattered.

Do you want to know what happens when you start building that ONE big sand castle?
  • A seagull will poop on it.
  • Kids will come over and kick down the walls to your castle.
  • The tide will come in and the waves may come knocking it down.
And do you know what you do?

You keep pushing forward with your ONE goal, and continue to put all of your energy into this ONE thing until it become what you want it to be.

All of a sudden, you'll have this best selling book, you'll be the singer on stage performing for thousands of people, you'll have that big business that makes millions of dollars...and you will look back.

You will look back and see other people on this journey try to build a hundred of different things, jumping from one idea to the next when they don't see results right away. You will see those out there who promise the quick path to riches, wealth, and fame...and people will fall for their lies.

When they jump from idea to idea, and take their focus off of the ONE thing they need to be putting 100% of their mental and physical energy into, they will continue to be stuck where they are.

And what would you want to tell them? What would you tell a past version of yourself who didn't that one of the "secrets" for massive, lasting success is to focus all your energy on one massive thing, pushing through the obstacles and failures along the way!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.