The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

judge CANCELS $500k mortgage in judgement

MBinMT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Nov 4, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Suffolk Judge Jeffrey Spinner Cancels Couple's Mortgage Debt

If this clown doesn't get his decision overturned, you can forget about ever again getting a mortgage thru a bank. It will destroy lender/borrower agreements. Is this how personal responsibility gets treated by a judge in the new, better, broken economy?

UNBELIEVABLE! :coco:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I don't know if I find it unbelievable-- judges are notorious for doing things like this to "send a message" to plaintiffs or defendents. They know it will get big media play, and they know their ruling will be overturned by a higher court.

They don't do it because they think their judgement will stick.

They do it because they want to start a discussion-- and to give the media something to get that discussion started.

Actually, I applaud his decision. Not because he erased their mortgage-- but because he's trying to send a message to banks that they have to be a bit more "give and take" with their loans. In other words, if a borrower comes to you and tries to work out a solution-- and is earnest-- the lenders need to work w/their borrowers. Instead of treating them like mushrooms.

-Russ H.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I would love to hear what the bank did that was harsh, repugnant, shocking and repulsive.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 28, 2009
Did anyone else actually read the details surrounding this case? The couple refinanced their home using a sub-prime lender back in 2004 to apparently support the husbands online business, and deal with some increased health care cost. Not sure which was more of a pressing issue at the time. Irregardless, the bank sued back in 2005 for failure to pay, and only just received "permission" to foreclose on the property last January. So that means conceivably this couple could have been living here for free or near free for the last 5 years!

Now, I'm not one to be cold and I also don't know the details concerning the gentleman's medical condition, but it is hard for me to see what the bank could have done that was so reprehensible as to garner this type of reaction from the judge. The man involved even said himself that it seemed more of a personal vendetta. I can understand empathy, but this seems almost a near reckless decision by the judge involved.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 28, 2009
That's odd. My username is showing up as my email. Guess my browser auto-completed the name, as the name I wanted starts similarly. Could you fix this for me MJ?

Brief aside: long time lurker and reader of the forums. Find myself coming nearly daily so I figured I might as well join :wave:

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
I don't know if I find it unbelievable-- judges are notorious for doing things like this to "send a message" to plaintiffs or defendents.

They do it because they want to start a discussion-- and to give the media something to get that discussion started.

Actually, I applaud his decision. Not because he erased their mortgage-- but because he's trying to send a message to banks that they have to be a bit more "give and take" with their loans. In other words, if a borrower comes to you and tries to work out a solution-- and is earnest-- the lenders need to work w/their borrowers. Instead of treating them like mushrooms.

-Russ H.

Right on !!! The banks not only need to be made to work with these borrowers, but they are totally incompetent in working out the details!:eusa_clap:

Now, I'm not one to be cold and I also don't know the details concerning the gentleman's medical condition, but it is hard for me to see what the bank could have done that was so reprehensible as to garner this type of reaction from the judge. The man involved even said himself that it seemed more of a personal vendetta. I can understand empathy, but this seems almost a near reckless decision by the judge involved.

See above !!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That's odd. My username is showing up as my email. Guess my browser auto-completed the name, as the name I wanted starts similarly. Could you fix this for me MJ?

Brief aside: long time lurker and reader of the forums. Find myself coming nearly daily so I figured I might as well join :wave:

Update the thread "user name changes" in the Intro forum to your desired name and I can change it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.