The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Job choices

Anything related to matters of the mind

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
Hi,

Recently my game dev startup failed.
I want to make another attepmpt but there is one problem. I was looking for a job and im grateful that I found one but after work Im too tired and stressed out to start developing another game. Working in IT is killing me, I started to think about finding some nobrainer job to keep me saine and got strenght to make something after work.
Should I
1) stick to IT ultradetailed job and get back to work and stop finding excuses.
2) or find some different job, maybe some computer shop, or selling icecreams, something really different.

Main objective is to get a job but to have energy to do my own thing after work. What do you think? What was your last job just after your business worked out?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Hi,

Recently my game dev startup failed.
I want to make another attepmpt but there is one problem. I was looking for a job and im grateful that I found one but after work Im too tired and stressed out to start developing another game. Working in IT is killing me, I started to think about finding some nobrainer job to keep me saine and got strenght to make something after work.
Should I
2) or find some different job, maybe some computer shop, or selling icecreams, something really different.

Snag a job as a bartender or waiter. You'll make bank, get to stay active, and don't have to think too terribly hard to do it.

I think you need to analyze why your monsters game didn't work out the way you wanted it to before you jump into another one. The game, the execution? It was GREAT. It's REALLY fun to play.

Look at all these games in the Google Play store that are in the "monster" category:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=monsters&c=apps

Fact is, only 4% of those companies were able to scrounge up enough in advertising or sales revenue to actually form a business. You can't just make a "good" game and start rolling in the dough, there has to be an insanely well executed strategy that puts your game in the > 99% of awesomeness compared to the rest of the market. Being better than 96% of the games out there means you will be able to afford another month of Top Ramen. Being better than 98% of the market means you'll be able to make a decent living, but about the same as you would make as a software developer in the enterprise industry. It's not until you break that 1% that you're into BIG money.

Goodluck! Keep at it. Rovio spent 10 years making 50 games at the 96% better mark where they just barely got by to afford their Ramen. Angry Birds was their 51st game.

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
bartender sounds ok I will think about this.

For that game Im talking to publishers, when I made my last tech demo they in seconds gave me feedback what they think, I will just keep making concepts and talk with them, they have "spider sense" what could work out, so basicly thats my plan after work but i need something not IT related or I will fall into depresion entirely.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
bartender sounds ok I will think about this.

For that game Im talking to publishers, when I made my last tech demo they in seconds gave me feedback what they think, I will just keep making concepts and talk with them, they have "spider sense" what could work out, so basicly thats my plan after work but i need something not IT related or I will fall into depresion entirely.

Who are the "publishers"? And it doesn't sound like you even read my advice haha.

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland

Clayton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 9, 2012
San Diego
Personally, I'd rather work part time in my career field than work as a bartender. Money vs energy wise, that makes the most sense to me.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011

Hey man, long time no see. Now...you will know best what's best for you, this is just my experience:

1. Unrelated jobs make me equally tired. By sticking to IT you keep your skills sharp, you stay "in the loop" with latest trends, and you might gain some useful contacts.

2. Even with a relatively easy and well paid job, I still couldn't find enough extra strength and extra focus to stare at the monitor some more.

My solution was...making sure I have enough backup money to live for 2 months off of it. And then quitting the job and fully committing to my fastlane endeavors. And if it doesn't work out (as it didn't) then take any job available (as I did).

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
I think that working an unrelated job can be beneficial sometimes. My present job requires very little brain power and leaves me with plenty of mental energy for pursuing my next entrepreneurial venture.

Most of my jobs have been very technical and my mind was just too tired to do much thinking after problem solving all day.

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
a job where you have down time and can use your laptop...
-security guard
-school clerk
mmmmm

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
I'm in the same boat right now. I quit IT 9 months ago after 20+ years and I'm looking for something I can just leave at the end of the day.

Working 60+ hours a week at a day job while trying to work on entrepreneurial projects doesn't work for me. :bgh:

speedyexe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jun 23, 2011
Gdynia, Poland
I think that working an unrelated job can be beneficial sometimes. My present job requires very little brain power and leaves me with plenty of mental energy for pursuing my next entrepreneurial venture.

Most of my jobs have been very technical and my mind was just too tired to do much thinking after problem solving all day.

What kind of job are you doing right now if I can ask?

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Whatever makes money.

Don't be too selective with the job. Just get to work, get the money for the start-up and get started.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.