The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Java V Python: Which is better (for entrepreneurship)

Akaushra

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Apr 15, 2023
Hey, so a pretty simple question: Which is better (to know) in terms of entrepreneurship? I have no idea what it's used for but I have an opportunity to learn it at school, and there are 9 days left of school. Which do I do and why?

Thanks so much for responding and helping me, by the way.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2022
Hey, so a pretty simple question: Which is better (to know) in terms of entrepreneurship? I have no idea what it's used for but I have an opportunity to learn it at school, and there are 9 days left of school. Which do I do and why?

If I were you I would learn both because they are used for different things. Python is used for stuff like AI and data while Java is used to help speed up making apps. Try to make time for both. If you can't then just do reasearch on what you think would be better

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Nov 21, 2016
Python is objectively better if you're talking about best for it's role with the most use cases. For all the things that Java would be better at than Python, C or C++ is better or more marketable than Java. The only reason you should choose Java over Python is if you plan to get into software development (particularly Android app development.)

mnsh

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
May 1, 2023
I would go with python, since it can do a lot of things. Websites, automation, ML, you name it.
I don't have much experience with java ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

9w13cky7

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 26, 2023
Brussels, Belgium

This might sound harsh - remember I don't know you, I mean no offence, and all of our time is valuable, so short = sweet.

First, close your gap in what programming can achieve. The reality is that you are better off knowing what programming is useful for in general rather than learning a specific language. Programmers are (relatively speaking) cheap; creatives that can see an entrepreneurial use for a computer are not; your time is better spent working out *what* to do rather than *how* to do it (as in, with which tools).

Second, if you have closed (1) and are looking to get your hands dirty - and that's a brilliant way to get started, just bear in mind my comments in (1) - I would go for Python. Java was built on a write-once-execute-anywhere model, which is great in theory, but much overrated in practice, in my experience (ATM, payments gateways, video game design & development).

(For those who claim Java is better for building mobile apps, you may be right, but I'm playing with Kivy at the moment, and it seems to be perfectly serviceable for building out MVPs, which is, I guess, really what the OP wants.)

Finally, learning any programming language teaches you a disciplined way of breaking down problems and creating solutions (there are usually at least n+1 solutions to a given programming problem) so if you're not training to do something really specific, pick the one that has the best *teacher*. That's invaluable; I once had a really (really, really) poor programming teacher and learned a lot of nasty habits that I'm still trying to stamp out, including some really stupid thinkos in the design methodology.

Go for it; and good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.