The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

It's good to be here

leviathan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Oct 1, 2016
I originally meant to write this post for the popular web design thread, but as I typed I realized it's place is right here.

My journey into the IT industry started about a year and a half ago. I had a business idea creating and printing coupons for discounts in restaurants and coffee shops that I worked with, and distributing the coupons for free to students from my student town. For that I needed a website, and later a smartphone app. Because I didn't had nearly enough resourses to buy a profesional website, let alone an app, I decided to learn web design by myself.

I learned HTML and some CSS, learned how to work with Bootstrap and downloaded a nice free theme that I customized into a lovely website.

My business endeavor lasted for three months :)
But what had turned out to be an even more valueable experience, I found something that I enjoyed doing, which is writing code and creting something out of nothing.

However, being the bookworm that I am, I totaly immenced myself in computer science and programing and couldn't find the way out.

"A web design is fine, but an internet business website needs some strong backend. let's learn 100 different javascript frameworks and libraries along with some sweet ruby and python cherry on top."

"Oh but wait! It's 2016 and an internet product needs an app. Let's also learn java!"

It's making me cringe now, but this is how I actually though for the past year or so.
Suprisingly, this road didn't take me anywhere. I was running around in circles, becoming an amateur programmer in 10 different languages and dialects and not a single buck in my pocket. I guess the most valueable lesson I learned from this is that the academic approach is never useful in creating actual value for yourself and for others.

Anyway, I became so dissapointed that I turned to the slowlane, accepting an underpaid internship in a dead-end job at a local company. I'm a law graduate from Eastern Europe.

With that being said, I got very excited when I saw Fox's thread on web design. Beforemost because in a way it shifted me into focus on how an entrepreneur with a fastlane mindset looks at learning and then execution.
It made me take every skill I know about webdesign (that I once deemed not enough) and start executing the best I can. I am activly searching for clients in my region. I am making unsolicited websites for large companies here just for practise for now, but later I might offer them.
I see things with a new focus now, and I am much more confident on where I'm heading.

Thank you very much @Fox
You have my undying appreciation.

Greeting to everyone on the forums. :tiphat:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...