Leigh Farrell
New Contributor
Hi fastlaners,
I've been having a disagreement with my slowlane fiance.
One of my dream cars is a nissan 300zx. Last year i purchased one as a rolling shell with the intention of building it from scratch with my two sons (aged 5 and 1) over the years as a hobby we can share together.
To pay for it, i service an extra client (i own a house cleaning business) every second saturday for $275. I buy parts after saving up the cash for them and nothing is purchased on credit. I service the client myself. I give my fiance the opposite saturday to do with as she pleases while i look after the boys.
My business does reasonably well and pays all of our bills, while giving me enough time to spend with my family and study around 20 hours per week.
My fiance thinks I'm being selfish and that i should spend the money on improving the house or paying down our mortgage.
In my opinion, i'm training myself to stay away from instant gratification, teaching my boys the value of saving, building something we can enjoy as a family when it's finished, and doing it all after everything else is finished. Of course there is also the selfish motive of doing something for myself, but i dont believe i'm being unreasonable.
What are your thoughts?
I've been having a disagreement with my slowlane fiance.
One of my dream cars is a nissan 300zx. Last year i purchased one as a rolling shell with the intention of building it from scratch with my two sons (aged 5 and 1) over the years as a hobby we can share together.
To pay for it, i service an extra client (i own a house cleaning business) every second saturday for $275. I buy parts after saving up the cash for them and nothing is purchased on credit. I service the client myself. I give my fiance the opposite saturday to do with as she pleases while i look after the boys.
My business does reasonably well and pays all of our bills, while giving me enough time to spend with my family and study around 20 hours per week.
My fiance thinks I'm being selfish and that i should spend the money on improving the house or paying down our mortgage.
In my opinion, i'm training myself to stay away from instant gratification, teaching my boys the value of saving, building something we can enjoy as a family when it's finished, and doing it all after everything else is finished. Of course there is also the selfish motive of doing something for myself, but i dont believe i'm being unreasonable.
What are your thoughts?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
