The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this the best way for a business leader to correct his employees????

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
As the title of the thread indicates I would like to know if this is the best way to correct his employees. where (pharmacy) I mount guards the company manager corrects his employees in public when they make a mistake, in front of his customers. And not in private. And often, when he (the Chef) is not there, outside the pharmacy his employees (the serving girls) often criticize him for that. they say they are never comfortable when he is inside the pharmacy.and when I asked them why he (the Chief) does this in public, they told me this: that he said if he corrects them in public they will learn the lesson of their mistake more than if they correct in private.

Now, is that really the best way to do it???? any answers/opinions would be appreciated. I would like to know what you think of this behavior towards its own employees. Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
'Praise in public, reprimand in private' or variations of, is a pretty universal saying. There is a reason.

The boss in your example is doing it to show how important he is (in his mind) to other staff and customers.

Working for people like that is not a great idea.

Dan

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
'Praise in public, reprimand in private' or variations of, is a pretty universal saying. There is a reason.

The boss in your example is doing it to show how important he is (in his mind) to other staff and customers.

Working for people like that is not a great idea.

Dan
Thank you for your reply. It confirms what I believed.

andrewhook

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Oct 22, 2016
Italy
There are just 5 employees in my company, so maybe I'm not the best person to tell you but I'll report my case.

I'm building our foundation almost 100% through Ray Dalio's Success Principles.

I've read his book at least 25 times (also repeating the audiobook while I sleep) and I definitely recommend it.

Long story short:

A company should be based on "Idea Meritocracy" and "Radical Transparency".

It's pretty impossible to summarize it here, so I'm leaving two YouTube videos that perfectly explains it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7hNda9DVxo

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KqyXF9f1dc

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
As the title of the thread indicates I would like to know if this is the best way to correct his employees. where (pharmacy) I mount guards the company manager corrects his employees in public when they make a mistake, in front of his customers. And not in private. And often, when he (the Chef) is not there, outside the pharmacy his employees (the serving girls) often criticize him for that. they say they are never comfortable when he is inside the pharmacy.and when I asked them why he (the Chief) does this in public, they told me this: that he said if he corrects them in public they will learn the lesson of their mistake more than if they correct in private.

Now, is that really the best way to do it???? any answers/opinions would be appreciated. I would like to know what you think of this behavior towards its own employees. Thanks
A quote from "Tiny Habits" author and PhD BJ Fogg: "You change best by feeling good not by feeling bad"
In the context of his book, he means that you'd rather stick to a habit if you celebrate it and makes you feel good than if you beat yourself up because you failed to execute your habit. You can also apply this to your chief's situation.

A lesson/principle from Dale Carnegie's book "How to win friends and..." : "Always save face" aka "Don't put your another's status in shambles"
It means that you should never expose someone in public but tell them in private: save their faces. So to speak.

I have to agree with both these quotes/principles. They are usually the most effective and also kindest approaches.
I'm not saying that both of these always work though. In this situation though, it seems like it would work well.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018

The boss is wielding shame to make his correction more intense.

Notice how you feel gross at just witnessing the boss's behavior? You're not even the person he's correcting. But even as a bystander, you feel it. You instinctively know that this is out of bounds. It's unnecessary. It's a low blow.

Is it effective? Sure, at some level. But kicking a guy in the nuts is effective, too, and we all know that's a scummy thing to do. The boss doesn't need to stoop to that.

The fact that he's choosing to behave this way says a lot about his character.

There's a proverb that says,
"Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses." [Proverbs 10:12]

He's not operating in love.

He's operating in hatred.

So therefore, everyone around him is walking on eggshells. They're nervous. They're not happy at work. They're tense. They perform worse when he's around.

How much different it could be if the boss was operating in love. He would be the kind of leader that his employees love in return. They would do more. They would light up when he's around. They would perform better. There would be less mistakes. And if there was correction needed, it would be done in a safe environment where the person was corrected appropriately in private and then restored to good standing based on their response.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.