The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this a real problem for programmers and wordpress users?

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
Currently when you make a change to the code of a plugin or theme on wordpress and then need to update that theme or plugin all the changes you made will be lost. That means you need to keep a backup file with the changes and then manually change the code after every update.

So the question is, would any programmers, coders, wordpress users see any value in a software or plugin that removes the need to update the code of a plugin or theme manually every time the plugin or theme is updated?

NOTE: I am not actively pursuing this idea, at least not right now. I just wanted to get an opinion from someone who has more experience with programming and coding than me and to also start a discussion.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheKeywordsGuy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Aug 20, 2018
Currently when you make a change to the code of a plugin or theme on wordpress and then need to update that theme or plugin all the changes you made will be lost. That means you need to keep a backup file with the changes and then manually change the code after every update.

So the question is, would any programmers, coders, wordpress users see any value in a software or plugin that removes the need to update the code of a plugin or theme manually every time the plugin or theme is updated?

NOTE: I am not actively pursuing this idea, at least not right now. I just wanted to get an opinion from someone who has more experience with programming and coding than me and to also start a discussion.
1. Using a child theme will fix the issue with changes being lost when you update the main theme
2. There's a reason any changes YOU did to a plugin yourself SHOULD be lost when it updates, and that's because the changes you did might break the updated plugin if kept.
3. Anyone looking to edit their own themes and plugins will probably shrug these issues off as irrelevant as there are easy workarounds. You shouldn't even be editing plugins by yourself as it poses a security risk, and if you do, you definitely shouldn't keep updating them, and my guess is that everyone who knows what they're doing understands this.

Mike Stoian

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Dec 24, 2019
1. Using a child theme will fix the issue with changes being lost when you update the main theme
2. There's a reason any changes YOU did to a plugin yourself SHOULD be lost when it updates, and that's because the changes you did might break the updated plugin if kept.
3. Anyone looking to edit their own themes and plugins will probably shrug these issues off as irrelevant as there are easy workarounds. You shouldn't even be editing plugins by yourself as it poses a security risk, and if you do, you definitely shouldn't keep updating them, and my guess is that everyone who knows what they're doing understands this.
This.

If your changes are lost when updating then probably you didn't do the changes properly. You should to the changes in a separate place ( child theme or custom module or whatever way there is for whatever CMS or software you're changing ). I've personally never had that issue and probably most other developers are the same.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gabbe18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 16, 2020
Sweden
Thanks for the info!

I am working on a website for a client and they asked for a very specific change. I didn't know how to make that change so I contacted the plugin's creators and they told me what I wrote in the post above.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.