The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this a good way to invest?

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
I would take time to do some research and analysis to back up my best probable case scenario & hypothesis. I would not blindly invest.
Yes most likely if the numbers add up in the correct way like getting a slice of a pie in %, not the whole

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yes, but it is highly risky and could take YEARS to see any returns.

I have minor ownership in some small companies, but have yet to see any dime of return from it.

In my view, it is truly more of speculative thing, than a true investment.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Yes, private equity can be fastlane. But we are talking about big barriers to entry. Where are you gonna get the $20 million in net worth?

The people who I know that do this take control of the board of directors and leverage strategic partnerships. And it’s usually very specialized fields like biotech.

Big money is made because there is a massive allocation of resources like skills and big money. Someone taking their coronavirus stimulus check and investing it in some crowdfunded chotchki product is kind of a tough thing because because you are really not creating a whole lot of value other than hoping it’s a hit.

Warren Buffett was pretty much a private equity investor. He didn’t get rich buying lotto stocks on his Robinhood account drinking a gallon of coke a day.

Think in terms of centralized and specialized allocation of resources and creation of utility and it starts to make sense why someone can turn $10 million into $500 million in a private equity deal.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser84644

Yes, private equity can be fastlane. But we are talking about big barriers to entry. Where are you gonna get the $20 million in net worth?

The people who I know that do this take control of the board of directors and leverage strategic partnerships. And it’s usually very specialized fields like biotech.

Big money is made because there is a massive allocation of resources like skills and big money. Someone taking their coronavirus stimulus check and investing it in some crowdfunded chotchki product is kind of a tough thing because because you are really not creating a whole lot of value other than hoping it’s a hit.

Warren Buffett was pretty much a private equity investor. He didn’t get rich buying lotto stocks on his Robinhood account drinking a gallon of coke a day.

Think in terms of centralized and specialized allocation of resources and creation of utility and it starts to make sense why someone can turn $10 million into $500 million in a private equity deal.
Well I'm talking about the average person investing some of their money on to the side in an equity crowdfunding platform like Wefunder. The SEC limits how much you can invest in such a campaign based off of your income. This allows you to invest into a private company without being an accredited investor.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Well I'm talking about the average person investing some of their money on to the side in an equity crowdfunding platform like Wefunder. The SEC limits how much you can invest in such a campaign based off of your income. This allows you to invest into a private company without being an accredited investor.

Yes it’s possible. Anything is possible.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
I personally don't touch these sort of things. My best ROI is investing in myself and my businesses.

That said, I've given seed money to two small businesses, and - MJ said it best - it's not investing, it's speculating.
(and I'm not a good speculator it would appear...)

I *think* the idea here is that you take $1000 and divide it into 10 investments.
You know 6 will go bust.
3 will maybe break even.
and you are hoping that 1 hits the jackpot.

That is sort of the SoftBank/VC route.
Lots of little bets, knowing most will lose. But, then you hope you hit a Snowflake and it that makes you look like a hero, even though the other 9 didn't work out.

--
I'd personally never try to pick one or two small companies I didn't control, to invest in.
It seems like trying to pick two stocks for your entire equity portfolio.
That doesn't sound like a sound/logical investment strategy to me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser84644

Yes it’s possible. Anything is possible.

I personally don't touch these sort of things. My best ROI is investing in myself and my businesses.

That said, I've given seed money to two small businesses, and - MJ said it best - it's not investing, it's speculating.
(and I'm not a good speculator it would appear...)

I *think* the idea here is that you take $1000 and divide it into 10 investments.
You know 6 will go bust.
3 will maybe break even.
and you are hoping that 1 hits the jackpot.

That is sort of the SoftBank/VC route.
Lots of little bets, knowing most will lose. But, then you hope you hit a Snowflake and it that makes you look like a hero, even though the other 9 didn't work out.

--
I'd personally never try to pick one or two small companies I didn't control, to invest in.
It seems like trying to pick two stocks for your entire equity portfolio.
That doesn't sound like a sound/logical investment strategy to me.
Well this won't exactly be my main of trying to build my wealth. A business that I own and control will, however that won't be the only thing I'll do either. I'll use multiple methods so greatly explode my odds of succeeding however way it happens.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
No this is not the stock market. I'm talking about investing in private companies through equity crowdfunding.
It could work out.
If you have control and know the industry you are investing in, your chances to recover the investment will be greater.
It sounds like you want to do some passive investment though.
Give someone, that you dont know, money and hope they succeed in a few years?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.