The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

is this a good idea

Idea threads
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 10, 2012
hey guys i want to start living life in the fast lane and found a business venture i am considering and was wondering what you thought of it. becoming a partner with my friend who owns a store.

Pocket Billiards (pool) is my passion my friend owns a billiards store i have been going there and buying for about a year. I asked him and he said his business is not going good and hasn't cut himself much of a pay check in 4 years. I see opportunity. The problem i see is not the business but the owner. My friend is a phenomenal pool player (like pro level) a nice personable guy and knows a lot about pool but is a bad business man. The little i talked about the business he seemed like a side-walker. i see many ways he can improve such as.

1. doesn't have a website
2. there are pool leagues in the area he could play in and advertise himself.
3. can bring in money from advertising the league
4. could take his store online
5. store disorganized and a mess.
6. possibly could make custom cues which is where the real money is.
7. More...
lets just say i see a lot off room for improvement

lastly i look at how ford made his name well known by winning a race and I think he an I are good enough to become well known by winning a major tournament and expand the business.

i think this is a good idea because I get to work in the sport I love, could flip the business, live in the fast lane and don't have to spend all the to start from the ground up.

what is you opinions?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EnemyMind

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 23, 2011
Washington DC
This seems like you are signing up for a job and a challenge rather then something that throws money at you.

Just break out an excel sheet and project your profits with all the increase work it would take, tally the projected hours and profit, and divided by whatever share he would give you.

I cannot imagine it would be enough to warrant doing it from a money sense. If its what you love however go for it. I wish you luck and hope to hear you are the most wealthy pool product purveyor in the world.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 10, 2012
This seems like you are signing up for a job and a challenge rather then something that throws money at you.

Just break out an excel sheet and project your profits with all the increase work it would take, tally the projected hours and profit, and divided by whatever share he would give you.

I cannot imagine it would be enough to warrant doing it from a money sense. If its what you love however go for it. I wish you luck and hope to hear you are the most wealthy pool product purveyor in the world.

well i would be signing up to become partial owner of a business that i think i can flip and think i could make some money instead of building a business from the ground up.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
hey guys i want to start living life in the fast lane and found a business venture i am considering and was wondering what you thought of it. becoming a partner with my friend who owns a store.

Pocket Billiards (pool) is my passion my friend owns a billiards store i have been going there and buying for about a year. I asked him and he said his business is not going good and hasn't cut himself much of a pay check in 4 years. I see opportunity. The problem i see is not the business but the owner. My friend is a phenomenal pool player (like pro level) a nice personable guy and knows a lot about pool but is a bad business man. The little i talked about the business he seemed like a side-walker. i see many ways he can improve such as.

1. doesn't have a website
2. there are pool leagues in the area he could play in and advertise himself.
3. can bring in money from advertising the league
4. could take his store online
5. store disorganized and a mess.
6. possibly could make custom cues which is where the real money is.
7. More...
lets just say i see a lot off room for improvement

lastly i look at how ford made his name well known by winning a race and I think he an I are good enough to become well known by winning a major tournament and expand the business.

i think this is a good idea because I get to work in the sport I love, could flip the business, live in the fast lane and don't have to spend all the to start from the ground up.

what is you opinions?

My opinion is, you are wasting your time.

You are trying to make him a star in his profession, if he is not already doing the things you mentioned at this point there is no reason for you to join him. You will have an uphill battle trying to convince him to do anything.

I am also trying to find the flip angle, what is there to flip? Seriously, if he goes out and does all those things, gets HIS name out there, who is going to buy that? He would have to stay in the business to make it work. meaning no matter what is going to happen he will probably never be able to sell out which would equal no payday for you.

The only angle you have is the pool supply online business or custom cues.. Custom cues, he can build them, Does he have a name? Cause seems to me you are looking at years to get him to be a name in building cues. Years.

So online store is the only flip-able part. My thought is why would you need him? You don't.

I wish you well in whatever you decide.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 10, 2012
My opinion is, you are wasting your time.

You are trying to make him a star in his profession, if he is not already doing the things you mentioned at this point there is no reason for you to join him. You will have an uphill battle trying to convince him to do anything.

I am also trying to find the flip angle, what is there to flip? Seriously, if he goes out and does all those things, gets HIS name out there, who is going to buy that? He would have to stay in the business to make it work. meaning no matter what is going to happen he will probably never be able to sell out which would equal no payday for you.

The only angle you have is the pool supply online business or custom cues.. Custom cues, he can build them, Does he have a name? Cause seems to me you are looking at years to get him to be a name in building cues. Years.

So online store is the only flip-able part. My thought is why would you need him? You don't.

I wish you well in whatever you decide.

thank for the advice maybe flip is a bad word mores i want to make it very successful and reel in the money not really make him a star but jut get the business well known in was i think it could which it is not.

D

DeletedUser2

thank for the advice maybe flip is a bad word mores i want to make it very successful and reel in the money not really make him a star but jut get the business well known in was i think it could which it is not.
you dont need him.

build a store, drive traffic, (he is not needed for that) build up sales. reel in the money. not one bit requires him.

if you want to do it faster yet, Go to the top 4-5 guys in the space, video them, get them to teach courses, give the courses for free. THEN you will have REAL pro names behind your store, sell MORE stuff, give them a cut. More, and Better reeling!

:)

Z

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
you dont need him.

build a store, drive traffic, (he is not needed for that) build up sales. reel in the money. not one bit requires him.

if you want to do it faster yet, Go to the top 4-5 guys in the space, video them, get them to teach courses, give the courses for free. THEN you will have REAL pro names behind your store, sell MORE stuff, give them a cut. More, and Better reeling!

:)

Z

lol ... Billy 101?

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
First thing firsts. You probably won't like hearing this, but pool is a dieing/dead sport/hobby. I can count 10 pool halls in my area that have gone away in the last 15 years, one of them being my fathers friends pool hall. It's just not as big as it once was, i cannot tell you why.

2nd---what Jack said

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
NaPal... in the meantime some of the ecommerce pool table sellers make over 10m non funded. That business is still alive IMO.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.