The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this a fair deal ??

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
If it was me at this point, I would say the following:

"You developed this on the company time and the company dime and now you are asking for more each time? This shit just isn't right. I am going to hire an attorney to get some legal advice and I will get back with you on how I want to proceed."

And I would do just that. Find out where you stand legally, because in the end that's where your leverage is.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JMBgroup

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 23, 2016
You still never answered my original question, which is at the crux of all this:

Who or what owns the IP surrounding the patent?

Hopefully this is covered in prior agreements or your company's Operating Agreement.

Without knowing that, it's impossible to recommend reasonable next steps...

Just found out yesterday only his name is on the Patent. \However there are paper trails of evidence and witnesses that this was done with company resources. There is also no agreement in place between us that requires the company to own thr invention. However if he did use company resources the correct thing to do was to put his name on the patent as the inventor and the companies name on the application

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Just found out yesterday only his name is on the Patent. \However there are paper trails of evidence and witnesses that this was done with company resources. There is also no agreement in place between us that requires the company to own thr invention. However if he did use company resources the correct thing to do was to put his name on the patent as the inventor and the companies name on the application
It's been my experience with patents that while in a company's employ, anything you create & want to patent will be owned by the company...if it is at all related to the employer's industry. That paper trail you mention is important. It's common knowledge amongst engineers that if you have an idea you want to patent yourself, you can not develop it while employed in the industry...even if the development is done on your own time. Don't even make a sketch! Now this may be related to my industry, or my specific employers, but my understanding was that this is the common practice of patent lawyers??? I could be wrong though. You definitely need to get a good lawyer ASAP!!!

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Search for precedents when this kind of input has played a role in patent owner reconsideration.
Currently you have very weak chances to turn the tide, you dramatically overestimate your role and you will have trouble time changing things to work for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.