The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it worth your money....

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
Would y'all mind to buy a product that protects your car from getting over heated when parked in sun for too long as it usually gets.

It's price would be 5000 rupees(68 dollars)
If not what would be your ideal price.

All opinions appreciated
Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
D

Deleted85763

Would y'all mind to buy a product that protects your car from getting over heated when parked in sun for too long as it usually gets.

All opinions appreciated
Thanks!
What is it that does that? I live in a hot place for months a year and lots of people would pay far more than US$68 if it really works.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany

All opinions appreciated
Thanks!
Currently, I have a job as a software developer at BMW in Germany. When BMW creates new vehicle prototypes, it is important to not only protect the cars from the sun, but also from the competitors so that they do not copy the prototype.

If you manage to create such a product that not only protects the car from being overheated but also from being visible from anywhere (including satellites), you could probably increase the price to ten thousands of dollars.

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
What is it that does that? I live in a hot place for months a year and lots of people would pay far more than US$68 if it really works.
I was studying online about some thermoelectric power generator and thought about that how it can create electricity from heat accumulated from a parked hot car. You will not need any external power source after buying it, it will generate power on its own and power a small fan attached. I am still researching more and more on it and finding ways to reduce its surface area more and more and making it more efficient. But funny thing is that pricing more than 68 usd maybe won't work with my country's middle class. If price more than 68 usd is allowed I can create it highly efficient and also save your fuel consumption from AC when u turn it on as soon as u get in a parked car.

Last edited:

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I was studying online about some thermoelectric power generator and thought about that how it can create electricity from heat accumulated from a parked hot car. You will not need any external power source after buying it, it will generate power on its own and power a small fan attached. I am still researching more and more on it and finding ways to reduce its surface area more and more and making it more efficient. But funny thing is that pricing more than 68 usd maybe won't work with my country's middle class. If price more than 68 usd is allowed I can create it highly efficient and also save your fuel consumption from AC when u turn it on as soon as u get in a parked car.
Impossible idea.
To understand why, you must invest time into learning thermo dynamics.
The TL; DR; version;
- a parked car under the sun wont get so hot that a TEG would produce a current
- the temp flux will be far too low
- you have no way of dissipating the heat without expending more energy than you get

This idea is born dead.

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
Impossible idea.
To understand why, you must invest time into learning thermo dynamics.
The TL; DR; version;
- a parked car under the sun wont get so hot that a TEG would produce a current
- you have no way of dissipating the heat without expending more energy than you get

This idea is born dead.

Please check this article. I might be wrong and wouldn't mind if I am but I checked if this can work and this article says all about it. Please revert me with an answer if you still think it won't work I am genuinely curious, thanks!

Last edited:

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

Please check this article. I might be wrong and wouldn't mind if I am but I checked if this can work and this article says all about it. Please revert me with an answer if you still think it won't work I am genuinely curious, thanks!
So lets look at a few things first:

1. All data is shown limited to 60 minutes, that alone should tell you something is off, given that they have the option to run the experiment for multiple hours.

2. The TEG they claim they used is this one: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/292/Nextreme_eTEG_HV37_Data_Sheet-982.pdf
Notice the operating range and the Delta T. At minimum 15 C.
So thats the minimum temp flux you have to keep to have any voltage.

3. They dont mention anything about heat sinks, cooling of the TEG, or how exactly they are dissipating the heat.
Nor do they have calculation about how much heat must be dissipated to get 280 watts from a TEG.
Ambient temperature is not a constant. You cant just dump heat in the surrounding air all you want.
That hot air needs to go somewhere so that cooller air can again cool the cold side so that Delta T is maintained in operating range.
Also if the element is inside the roof, where its hottest, then the other side of the TEG, where the heat sink should be, would be exposed to the outside temperature.

The calculation is simple and explained, to get 100W of electrical power, you need to disipate around 1900W of heat energy.

So for their rediculous claim 280W of electrical -> 5.3kW of heat.
In short, to have the TEGs in their operation range, the heat sinks must disipate ballpark 5.3kW per square meter to account for the very low Delta T.

This is where this BS starts to fall appart, and this is why I said:

Lets assume the ideal case.
The car is both in a very sunny place, with LOTS of heat and LOOOOOOOOOOTS of wind so that it can blow over the heat sinks.

Where does this 280 watts of energy come from exactly?
Peak solar energy per square meter is around 1kW -> What is a peak sun hour? What are peak sun hour numbers for your state?
That is just how much photon energy roughly reaches the planet surface.
Half of that you loose right away due to reflection.
Neither the car roof nor the heat sinks can absorb all the photon energy, the minum loss is 50 percent.
If they could, there would be a black spot, where the car should be.

So now you got 500W to work with.
At best you have the Delta T to work with, because the rest of the photon energy is already in heat and will stay in the car regardless of what you do.
Meaning you cant get energy out, if the ambient temp matches the inside.
How much W is that then?
Well this depends very much on the specific heat capacity of materials, but metals, air and organic stuff generally dont absorb much.
Lets say that its a one to one for the sake of argument.
So if your car is heated from ambient to some high number during the day, its because of those 500 watts that get absorbed (IDEAL case)
Great, so lets say that we cover the bare minimum of 15 C Delta T and lets say that 500 watts is what made this 15 C increase. Lets also forget that these 500W also heat the surronding air.
What you immediatly notice is that in each case temperature tappers of with time.
Meaning that you get a thermal equilibrium between the outside and the inside with the car doors, body, seats and other parts acting as the thermal conductors between the heat inside and the heat outside.
So why isnt the temperature going down then?
Why does it stabalize at a temperature high enough to sustain the TEG?
Well the answer is simple, the TEG isnt pulling enough energy out of the system.
At best it may be pulling 1-2%.
Which is 1-2% of 500 watts.
Which is what? 280 watts?
Laughable...

Lets look at it in another simpler way.
If the TEGs could pull 280 watts out of 1 square meter where the energy is coming from the sun, then their efficiency would be 28%.
In ideal conditions, where the flux is over 150C, the cold side is actively cooled, expensive TEGs can barely get to 7%.

Like I said, the idea is born dead.
You cannot cheat thermo dynamics, no one can.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
P.S.
I`m not trying to discourage you.
Overheating cars in sunny climates may very well be a problem.
But you know what?
Its far easier, more efficient and cheaper to cover the car in a reflective surface when parked, then it is to engineer an overly complicated generator solution which would be very expensive and useless for lowering the car heat.

If you want to innovate in this direction and are interested in solving the problem with overheating cars, this is the better way:

1. Paint additive that makes the car surface vastly more reflective.
2. Car covers which are cheap and easy to fold and reflect the sun rays.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Are you talking about a windshield sunscreen?

If yes, then there's already a market for that. And people are already buying them.

I'm not sure where you're from but here in the U.S. they are popular (depending on where you live). In Arizona here, during the summer, you see them on every other car.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
They also already make a solar fan and uses a solar panel and a fan that circulates the air inside your car through a partially open window while parked.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

All opinions appreciated
Thanks!
We're going into our winter now. Our problem is that cars get too cold. Cold kills batteries. We all have block heaters installed on our vehicles so we can start them. And those block heaters are usually on timers.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
They also already make a solar fan and uses a solar panel and a fan that circulates the air inside your car through a partially open window while parked.
I thought of the same product.

easy, quick, and quite effective

Sarthak_Tyagi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Feb 23, 2021
It takes very long time for solar panels to charge so I think it might not be effective in a way maybe.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.