The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it wise to work for free in exchage of experience/insight?

Anything related to matters of the mind

NoPainNoGain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jan 13, 2013
Hello fellow posters.

In one of these threads it was suggested that one should offer to work for free (when you don´t have yet a valuable skill set) for someone who knows a great deal about the subject you want to learn and exchange for their experience.

However, the question is whether this person would be willing to take you and teach you something of value. How should I approach such person and make the offer “I will work for free in exchange for your experienceâ€.
How to convince him to take such deal as he could easily just brush it off as of no use to him?

I live in a small town. There are two factories here of about 500 employees each. I was thinking of somehow talking directly to both of the factory head manager and try to offer to work for free in exchange for the intership/mentorship. I actually need the intership to receive a engineering degree as there is a certain minimum amount of hours I need to put in ir order to be eligible to get the degree.

Where I live interships get a small financial compensation, but I would only work for free if I get to be working directly for the head manager, because I offer that to people in lower positions they probably would get me to do drone work for free and I would get no valuable insights at all in exchange.

So, any suggestions?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes. Experience from a mentor or a person really skilled in their field or venture is priceless and worth more than gold.

NetNinja

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jun 18, 2013
Do whatever it takes to gain experience. However small town with 2 small factories means that they employ 90% of the towns population. What happens when one factory closes down? Can those factories be outsourced overseas? Prepare your exit strategy as soon as you get your internship and tell no one of your plans. It was my advice to my young Marines as soon as they came into the Corps.

Jun 22, 2012
Yes it’s good to work for somebody if you are getting experience in a desired field or position which will later be beneficial for you to work in the same position. If the company has a requirement for interns then it’s a good chance to learn & work with experienced people. Even if you are ready to work for free the company also should have the policy to accept such people and let them work at desired position.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.