The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it possible to beat the failure mindset out of people?

Anything related to matters of the mind

comment

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 20, 2011
I'm specifically talking about my girlfriend here. With every topic I make, I state that I'm 17, which I'm sure bothers a few people on here, but I'm sure it helps me get accurate answers.

Shes got this mindset thats probably from her parents. Her parents havnt been too good with money, they were about to lose their house untill they came up with this idea of buying a ton of birds, mating them, and selling them all a year later. They just finished selling them all yesterday and they profited by like $1,000 because they didnt calculate or plan for costs or expenses at all.

I dont expect everyone to run out and start a fastlane business, because some people don't really have any interest in being wealthy, they just want to get by. The only issue I have with some people is they have this mindset I'm about to tell you about.

Shes 17 like me, and shes never had a job or even thought about her future plan, making money, getting by, ANYTHING. I figured after hanging around with me she would kind of adopt some of my ideas, but I guess not. I've been pressuring her to get a job so she can get her own car and her own place, and shes finally agreed she needs one. We were just discussing where shes going to apply and all she can come up with is Subway. I asked why and she says "well I like subway and no where else will hire me. and I wont work at fast food." I asked why she wont work at a retail store at the mall like Forever 21 or something, and her response: "I CANT!! I dont have the cool clothes to do it! I wont apply somewhere I know I wont get hired!!".

I argued with her for about an hour that its better to apply and get rejected than to not apply at all. She thinks that if she cant "dress cool" she cant work at a retail store, she acts like im insane when I tell her all she has to do is inquire about the dress code and follow it and shes golden. She wont work at other fast food places because she doesnt like to eat there..

What can I do to get her out of this? Her goal is to make money, but shes not willing to even try to apply cause she MIGHT not get accepted, and she wont work anywhere she doesnt like, because god forbid she does something that isnt fun and games. Like I said earlier, I don't expect her to run away and become a huge business owner, because that isn't what everyone wants to do, but this is just crazy.

Anyone have experience with beating the slowlane out of people?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

You cannot change others. You can change yourself and lead by example. Either they follow or they don't.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011

Won't work.

You can only prove them wrong by your results, and even then they'll think it's luck, temporary thing etc.
and will still hold on to the "sure thing".

It's cool to support your gf but don't ask people to be what they're not, enjoy your time together.

You cannot change others. You can change yourself and lead by example. Either they follow or they don't.

Exactly

PHD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Sep 5, 2011
Gold Coast, Australia

Sounds more like you have to beat the slow lane into this one before beating it out of her (figuratively speaking).

Perhaps one day she will realise she can't have the things she wants and needs and that may get her into gear. As suggested lead by example, if she notices you working hard, succeeding and reaping the benefits she may have a realisation.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
I definitely agree with leading by example. It's the only way to truly lead at all really, but nothing is more motivating than seeing someone catch fire and make awesome things happen. I honestly think anyone can cultivate a fastlane mentality, but you have to want it. Focusing on trying to change someone is the absolute worst use of your time.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada

It's not possible.

Anybody who is looking to do this has a lot of time to waste.

Search this forum. There have been numerous posts about hapless posters who have tried to do so. Waste of time.

Mike A.B.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 19, 2011
Amsterdam, Holland
Sounds like she's sitting on the sidewalk looking at cars slowly drive by...

Maybe it helps to make her look at what houses/cars/clothing/fun/life actually costs if you have to pay for it all by yourself, WITHOUT a credit card!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.