The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it a good idea to show a potential web developer your flowchart/mockup?

Idea threads

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well.

I've finished creating a flowchart and a mockup for a website idea that I've validated with potential paying customers.

I plan to use Drupal for the site since it's perfectly suited for what I need the site to do.

Right now I wanted to get an estimate of how much it would cost to have a quick MVP up and running to get feedback from my first paying customers.

I'm about to begin looking for a developer, but I'm uneasy about showing them my flowchart and mockup seeing as they're very detailed.

So I wanted to get your advice guys. Is it ok to present my flowchart and mockup to potential developers?

Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
In general, it still takes a lot of time to develop software, even if you have it laid out.

The question is, will you meet someone zealous to steal your idea? I seriously doubt it. Since it is a risk you incur by contracting freelancers however, you could opt to avoid passing along a digital copy.

Madd

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 24, 2015
Well, mockups are only showing functionalities and no design.
So when you want to give this to a developer, he needs to know
a) how it should like (design)
b) what the functionalities in this mockup are

The scope needs to be clear for a developer and you have to avoid that he thinks it is a button, but you mean dropdown (for example).
Of course, if you only need a clickable dummy, neglect the design (in hope the customer has so much imagination;) )

What I would do is to bundle a package for a developer with:
  1. Mockups
  2. the related and detailed user stories (description of functionality and expected behavior). E.g: "As a user I want to click the button to delete the from". Then just put some acceptance criteria to it, which means the story is completed by saying Yes to each point like: When clicking the button, the form is erased.
That's a very very short description about requirements engineering. But otherwise you will burn money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.