This is my recent lesson learned (again).
Soon after I began to hear whispers of the US Dollar potentially failing and that people might be looking for a safe haven to protect their wealth I had an idea. It was to provide lead generation for gold selling stores locally and hopefully nationwide a la limos.com. It hinged on the eventual rush into gold that would take place as faith in the US Dollar degrades. Had the following not been true this would have been quite a cash cow. But...
My mother to pointed out to me that she could just go onto the internet and find a place that sells gold on Google Places. She also pointed out to me that I wasn't adding any value to the process, only complicating it for the people who are looking to buy gold. As I looked at my idea critically I realized that the acquisition of gold on the part of buyers is not a problem. That gap has been adequately filled by any number of other businesses.
Because I did not think about it clearly, ask the right questions, and pull in the proper data at the start I am out a little cash and up a domain name. I have found another use for the domain, but this is a lesson that I am glad I learned the 'easy' way.
I have no process for this kind of research and as I understand it everyone comes at it a little different. My plan of action for the future is to write out a simple process to follow when looking at the practicality and feasibility of my ideas.
What process do you use when you look at an idea?
In short my answer to the thread topic is 'yes'. What is yours?
Soon after I began to hear whispers of the US Dollar potentially failing and that people might be looking for a safe haven to protect their wealth I had an idea. It was to provide lead generation for gold selling stores locally and hopefully nationwide a la limos.com. It hinged on the eventual rush into gold that would take place as faith in the US Dollar degrades. Had the following not been true this would have been quite a cash cow. But...
My mother to pointed out to me that she could just go onto the internet and find a place that sells gold on Google Places. She also pointed out to me that I wasn't adding any value to the process, only complicating it for the people who are looking to buy gold. As I looked at my idea critically I realized that the acquisition of gold on the part of buyers is not a problem. That gap has been adequately filled by any number of other businesses.
Because I did not think about it clearly, ask the right questions, and pull in the proper data at the start I am out a little cash and up a domain name. I have found another use for the domain, but this is a lesson that I am glad I learned the 'easy' way.
I have no process for this kind of research and as I understand it everyone comes at it a little different. My plan of action for the future is to write out a simple process to follow when looking at the practicality and feasibility of my ideas.
What process do you use when you look at an idea?
In short my answer to the thread topic is 'yes'. What is yours?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
