The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Blockchain really going to change things?

Anything related to bitcoin, crypto, blockchain

martinz1995

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jan 12, 2022
So the whole blockchain revolution has been regarded by many as a way to bring back control to society away from big tech companies (who are often platform business models part of the sharing economy) e.g. Uber, Amazon, Airbnb, Etsy.

Many complain that these big tech companies are the middleman in transactions as they take a large portion of the profits e.g. Uber takes about 27.5% from each driver. This is obviously just the nature of all business, to generate profit through the workforce.
Now the blockchain revolution is claiming that this problem will no longer exist - because big tech companies will be replaced by blockchain transactions.

However the blockchain that is developed to carry out the transaction must have some incentive correct? No one just goes out to develop a blockchain software/platform for the fun of it.
So when people claim that blockchain will remove the platform/centralised nature of big tech companies - I think this would just lead to another form of centralisation. I mean sure Uber is not as centralised as a taxi company where the owners take 40-50% of profits but it makes up for this in scale. Now imagine a blockchain for taxi rides. Ultimately won't the blockchain technology control the entire transaction, giving it ultimate power?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stridone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jan 13, 2012
Proper blockchains (Bitcoin, Ethereum) are decentralized. There is not going to be a "blockchain" for taxi rides, this would be a decentralized app on the Ethereum blockchain. That app can run without anyone's permission or interference.

oasis1frog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 15, 2021
Many complain that these big tech companies are the middleman in transactions as they take a large portion of the profits e.g. Uber takes about 27.5% from each driver.
The mob aka blockchain takes $20, $30 'gas fee' everytime I move my small amount of Ethereum, either to purchase or transfer to hardware wallet ?!

Last edited:

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
The mob aka blockchain takes $20, $30 'gas fee' everytime I move my small amount of Ethereum, either to purchase or transfer to hardware wallet ?!
L2fees.info

Never let anyone spoon-feed you a narrative without checking it yourself.

Attachments

• L2fees.png
    L2fees.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 15

oasis1frog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 15, 2021
L2fees.info

Never let anyone spoon-feed you a narrative without checking it yourself.
Whats that ?? 1, 2, 3 cents to send a ETH ?!
No there was no "spoon-feed" & I didn't just check, I paid for it, if you bothered to read. Never assume anything.
$25 fees on $4,967.55 ETH. To a consumer/investor it make no difference if the fees actually charged by the miner or blockchain or the brokerage, still the cost to transact crypto.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thus far crypto has been the perfect place to take advantage of the uneducated.

The SEC website is littered with scammers who are being busted. For every 1 who gets caught, there are 100 others who are still under the radar.

Here's a tip -- instead of "investing" in crypto, seek out and expose the scammers. The SEC will pay you millions to do so as a whistleblower.

For anyone who is a crpyto expert, this is where I'd be making my "investment", not sitting around waiting for some coin to go asymmetrical.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
So the whole blockchain revolution has been regarded by many as a way to bring back control to society away from big tech companies (who are often platform business models part of the sharing economy) e.g. Uber, Amazon, Airbnb, Etsy.

Many complain that these big tech companies are the middleman in transactions as they take a large portion of the profits e.g. Uber takes about 27.5% from each driver. This is obviously just the nature of all business, to generate profit through the workforce.
Now the blockchain revolution is claiming that this problem will no longer exist - because big tech companies will be replaced by blockchain transactions.

However the blockchain that is developed to carry out the transaction must have some incentive correct? No one just goes out to develop a blockchain software/platform for the fun of it.
So when people claim that blockchain will remove the platform/centralised nature of big tech companies - I think this would just lead to another form of centralisation. I mean sure Uber is not as centralised as a taxi company where the owners take 40-50% of profits but it makes up for this in scale. Now imagine a blockchain for taxi rides. Ultimately won't the blockchain technology control the entire transaction, giving it ultimate power?

Yes - Decentralization. Validators, Nodes & Miners secure & confirm the transaction(s) & earn fees.

maverick

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Can you expand on what this is?
Yes Ethereum is seen as a layer 1 - which means it's so-called "settlement layer". All transactions are "settled" at this level. You can view the transactions on a block explorer like etherscan.io.

Because gas fees increase per usage, at times of peak usage the gas fees are high. To circumvent this a second layer is created (i.e. L2). On this layer effectively all user activity will occur. The settlement will be done by the L2 to L1 themselves. So the L1 fees are paid by the L2. You will pay for the L2 fees which are significantly lower and actually decrease when the number of transactions increases here.

maverick

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Whats that ?? 1, 2, 3 cents to send a ETH ?!
No there was no "spoon-feed" & I didn't just check, I paid for it, if you bothered to read. Never assume anything.
$25 fees on $4,967.55 ETH. To a consumer/investor it make no difference if the fees actually charged by the miner or blockchain or the brokerage, still the cost to transact crypto.
You moved 5k for a 0.5% fee and call that high. smh

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019
Yes Ethereum is seen as a layer 1 - which means it's so-called "settlement layer". All transactions are "settled" at this level. You can view the transactions on a block explorer like etherscan.io.

Because gas fees increase per usage, at times of peak usage the gas fees are high. To circumvent this a second layer is created (i.e. L2). On this layer effectively all user activity will occur. The settlement will be done by the L2 to L1 themselves. So the L1 fees are paid by the L2. You will pay for the L2 fees which are significantly lower and actually decrease when the number of transactions increases here.
Huh. I've been following crypto for a while and did not know this. Where can you access this L2? Metamask and all the other variations would be L1, correct?

RussRussman18

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 8, 2016
Louisiana
Blockchain will change nothing and gain no traction in the world markets.

What are the best selling phones in the world?

Iphones (Apple)

Apple was the most valuable company in the world at the beginning of 2022 (although it has now been overtaken by an oil company)

Apple products have the LEAST features, privacy, security and extensibility of any tech company.

They don't succeed in spite of this, but BECAUSE of it.

They KNOW what people want.

People don't want to learn tech skills.

They don't want responsibility

They don't want to personally deal with their security.

And, in the context of crypto and blockchain, the situation is identical.

People may say they 'hate' banking, but they like it much more than learning how to use these systems where you are in total control of your assets.

They like having this stuff taken care of for them.

DougRMR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 19, 2019

Iphones (Apple)

Apple was the most valuable company in the world at the beginning of 2022 (although it has now been overtaken by an oil company)

Apple products have the LEAST features, privacy, security and extensibility of any tech company.

People may say they 'hate' banking, but they like it much more than learning how to use these systems where you are in total control of your assets.

Crypto is still in the early stages, though. You or I don't know just how commoditized or easy it might get. Crypto has a very steep learning curve now, yes, but so did the Internet, so did buying stocks, etc.

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Huh. I've been following crypto for a while and did not know this. Where can you access this L2? Metamask and all the other variations would be L1, correct?
Yes - metamask will connect you to other layers & chains automatically when you connect your wallet.

oasis1frog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 15, 2021
You moved 5k for a 0.5% fee and call that high. smh
Another assumption ?! I had no opinion, now that you ask, or put words in my mouth. Of course, $3 fee for a $15,000 share trade, a coin can move multiple times, $50, $100 vs $3, smho.

Last edited:

maverick

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012

Iphones (Apple)

Blockchain will become ubiquitous.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.