The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

IP Feasibility?

pikehunter

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 20, 2012
Hello. I am a new Fastlaner and recently read MJ's book. I feel fortunate to have an idea that could fill certain key entrepreneurial requirements (i.e. provide to many, easily delivered product, demand etc.). However, the idea is essentially intellectual property which I have found to be one of the more difficult areas to protect/define.

Basically, I have an idea for a product that would be sold in a digital format (delivered through internet/PC) through the website of a very well established company with a huge customer base. Additionally, the product has a strong likelihood of consistent regular purchase (not a 1-time buy). The product would basically be an "add-on" purchase for this very well established company and sold through their website.

My problem is I am unsure how to propose the idea to anyone (even an IP lawyer) without it being stolen. Can anyone offer any advice in this area? I feel like I can develop a plan to propose this to the company in question if I can just be sure the idea is protected.

Thank you very much for any help. I'm happy to be in the forum.

-Pike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
i have the same idea too.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Most of the members treat threads like this sarcastically and for good reason. But since you have not read through the forum, let me give you some advice.

Let go of your obsession with getting your idea stolen because it's probably already been done. Everything is intellectual property. You don't have to tell us what it is but sometime down the line, you're going to have to tell someone. Your idea simply isn't good enough to get stolen, no matter what it is. If Mark Zuckerberg told Mark Cuban about his crazy idea to build a social networking site for college students, Mark would have been like 'Cool idea, I could see where the need comes from' and would have left it alone.

Also, Vigilante's thread. https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/inventing-innovating-licensing-authoring/39983-licensing-game.html

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

pikehunter

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 20, 2012
Most of the members treat threads like this sarcastically and for good reason. But since you have not read through the forum, let me give you some advice.

Let go of your obsession with getting your idea stolen because it's probably already been done. Everything is intellectual property. You don't have to tell us what it is but sometime down the line, you're going to have to tell someone. Your idea simply isn't good enough to get stolen, no matter what it is. If Mark Zuckerberg told Mark Cuban about his crazy idea to build a social networking site for college students, Mark would have been like 'Cool idea, I could see where the need comes from' and would have left it alone.

Also, Vigilante's thread. https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/inventing-innovating-licensing-authoring/39983-licensing-game.html

Hi J. I appreciate the heads up on this forum's edicate. It seems sarcasm and flaming have become a national pasttime, but I do understand the need to correct OP's that post easily searchable advice/suggestions. Anyway, while I do understand your take on IP, my situation is so specific that I honestly feel it's a special case. The reason is that this idea is specific to one company. While that may make this seem like a disadvantage, I truly feel it is not due to the specificity of the idea and the recurrent sale potential. This will only work with this one large company.

In this sense, I am very much in search of accurate IP advice/guidance because the implementation of the idea would be so ridiculously easy for this large company, that a leak (knowledge of the idea) to the company without some sort of "protection" could mean bye-bye to the idea very, very quickly.

So, while I may be looked at as paraniod and/or over-valuing my idea, I think my paranoia is inline with the ideas value. I honestly don't have any idea how to go about this because the area of IP seems to be so vague. I'm not even sure how to approach an IP attorney without giving the idea away.

I was basically just looking for advice on the "mechanics" of idea protection, use of IP attorneys, how to do things right to protect yourself etc.

Thanks,
-Pike

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads