The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Invest in Your Products!!!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Do you know what's crazy?? What the ROI is on a small improvement of your product vs. the ROI on the original product. I've been researching products this past week and I've also ordered $300 worth of items on Amazon to see what my competition is like.

Here is what I noticed:

Let's call this a picnic blanket that sells for $30.

I ordered 4 picnic blankets from the top 10 results ranging from $15-$35. It's pretty safe to say that the $15 one was too thin. The $20 and $27 were identical. The $35 was noticeably thicker and waterproof.

Ok, after contacting a bunch of suppliers. The product sells for $5-$12 wholesale. Based on my research:

The $15 one, cost $5. Bare minimum product
The $20 and $27 one, cost $10. Better material. Thicker.
The $35 one cost $11. Thicker and coated to be waterproof.

ROI
$15 blanket - $5, sell for $15 = 200%
$27 blanket - $10, sell for $27 = 170%
$35 blanket - $12, sell for $35 = 191%

Looks like selling the $15 blanket is a better deal right?

Now, look at the numbers. If you are a cheap a$$ and want a cheapo brand. You go with the $5 one and race yourself down to the lowest price with the other cheap asses. Great ROI, large headache.

Most of you would go with the $10 one. But then you give it a cool brand name and 99designs logo , awesome photos and a bunch of reviews. This way you can sell it for $27 instead of $20. Decent ROI, easier to sell and get favorable reviews.

But look at the top. For an extra $2, you can get it waterproof coated. This results in an extra $8 in selling price. For $2, you gain $6 profit. That's 300% return on the $2. You would be crazy to not add this feature, but many don't. But that's not all. You also have a better product!

Ok worse case scenario, what if you can't sell it at $35 for the waterproofing. Maybe the current $35 blanket is a name brand and you don't have that recognition. AND you don't have any reviews.

So you need to lower your price to compete. You come down to $27. Now you are up against the $20-$27 competition with a lower quality product. You should be able to sell yours up against theirs no problem. Yes, you paid $2 more for this product, but you will save that in reduced PPC costs and having no need to do review giveaways.

BTW, these numbers are a little bit generalized. And I know that they don't illustrate my point that great. But I can tell you that in the real world. The added value is much much greater in ROI than my example above. We are talking about 1000% and more.

Many times the margins of the improvements are so huge. But we tend to look at how much we pay the manufacturer and try to get the lowest price. I have many products where a $2 increase in material quality results in an extra $20 of selling price. Or sometimes $1 more can get me double the amount of product (because the bulk of the cost is in the packaging and labor), which results in adding $5 to the selling price.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

napier

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Feb 14, 2013
@biophase - Thanks for the great post!

@AgainstAllOdds - Do you have experience in using custom packaging?

Do you recommend using your overseas supplier to make the custom packaging if they offer it? Or is it better to go with a company specializing in packaging?

I have found that the cost can vary significantly and it can get expensive. However, it seems to really make a product stand out and help separate it from the generics.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
Yes, Yes and Yes....

With absolute numbers (price times quantity) it would be a bigger example as it is now already. I would bet that the high priced-high quality one sells in the same quantity as the leaders in the other lower-priced-segments...

That makes more revenue if I'm right.

Quality >>>>> Price

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@biophase - Thanks for the great post!

@AgainstAllOdds - Do you have experience in using custom packaging?

Do you recommend using your overseas supplier to make the custom packaging if they offer it? Or is it better to go with a company specializing in packaging?

I have found that the cost can vary significantly and it can get expensive. However, it seems to really make a product stand out and help separate it from the generics.

You want a factory that specializes in packaging. Cut out the middle man.

Whatever factory you're purchasing from doesn't make their profit from packaging. But if you ask them to handle that part of the process, then they'll outsource, markup the packaging, and deliver packaging that's hit or miss.

In my opinion: find a factory that makes packaging for the big brands near where your factory is located: Ralph Lauren, Louis Vuitton, etc. Then, take full control over the packaging. And have them offer pricing with shipping to your supplier. Then, tell your supplier to package into those boxes. Unless you don't want your supplier knowing your brand ... in which case you'd separate the two.

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
Fantastic post my man!!

And also, you didn't even mention (but I'm sure you thought of) CLTV. If they come back AGAIN even once, then you make that extra 200% again on the money you chose to invest into value. You give them a better experience, and if you put inserts or superior packaging, you can drive them to your site, offer them related value, capture an e-mail and market more of the brand and perhaps make a loyal customer + word of mouth for years.

- Ev

DWX

Getting on with it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Nov 19, 2015
UK
Plus, by investing in higher quality products, you will see less refunds and complaints - a saving of both time and money.

Great post!

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
What I'm learning more and more from this forum is "don't play the price game . Up your value and you will win every time"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.