The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction - Differentiation question

Maria

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Nov 29, 2011
Hi Guys!

I have read the book and found it awesome and very pragmatic. I would love to introduce myself right now, but I think I will let you discover more about me on your own by helping me at the same time. I would like to see whether my branding works on not.

Here is how you can help:

I have a fitness website (www.fitnessreloaded.com). I want to know whether someone who accidentally gets into my website understands what is different about my website vs. other websites.

So I would like you to go to my website and check it out for up to 30 sec. Please don't devote more time than that, as most internet users have a very short attention span.

Then please come back here, and tell me how long you spent on the site and what you understood about me. This way you will help me understand whether I communicate my message clear enough, or whether I need to work more on it.

Thanks!!!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
Didn't get the gist of it. Seemed like the style of workouts from Shape magazine or another women's mag. Is that the aim?

I like when blogs have the "Popular Posts" bar at the right. A quick launch point for me to start reading what is deemed some of the better posts on their site. In you case I'd suggest having these be launching points to vids that convey your workout/fitness/diet (whatever is in there) philosophy and general guidelines, as they aren't apparent right now. At least I think it would help.

Maria

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Nov 29, 2011
Didn't get the gist of it. Seemed like the style of workouts from Shape magazine or another women's mag. Is that the aim?

I like when blogs have the "Popular Posts" bar at the right. A quick launch point for me to start reading what is deemed some of the better posts on their site. In you case I'd suggest having these be launching points to vids that convey your workout/fitness/diet (whatever is in there) philosophy and general guidelines, as they aren't apparent right now. At least I think it would help.

Thank you winch. I will wait to get some more feedback before I reveal the actual differentiation. Thanks again!

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I'd agree with winch, it feels like a 'relaxed' fitness website like something like Shape magazine.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'd agree with winch, it feels like a 'relaxed' fitness website like something like Shape magazine.

I also agree. At first glance it just looks like another fitness website that I would expect on Shape or some other mature woman's magazine.

For me, the differentiation with "fitness minimalism" wasn't strong enough to convey any difference. With a retooled design, this can be improved. How has your website users responded to the site? Have they given you feedback? Or none at all? The market whispers...

BTW, FitnessReloaded is a great domain name.

Welcome to the forum Maria.

Maria

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Nov 29, 2011
I also agree. At first glance it just looks like another fitness website that I would expect on Shape or some other mature woman's magazine.

For me, the differentiation with "fitness minimalism" wasn't strong enough to convey any difference. With a retooled design, this can be improved. How has your website users responded to the site? Have they given you feedback? Or none at all? The market whispers...

BTW, FitnessReloaded is a great domain name.

Welcome to the forum Maria.

Thank you all for your feedback.

So here is the differentiation:

I am focusing on the long-term view of fitness rather than the short term. Most fitness sites tell you "Get ripped in 3 months", "Get a bikini body", etc.

My aim is not to get you a bikini body, and then let you stop exercising and lose everything you strived for. My aim is to help you build the right foundation, build an exercise system that works for you, so that you will exercising for the rest of your life!

To do that, I am incorporating a lot of behavior change elements...Start with small steps that you can tackle, slow down if something feels overwhelming rather than stopping, etc.

I use minimalism because it helps on focusing on what actually matters and on learning to do more with less. Consistency matters, fast results don't.

Exercise can happen anywhere, not just in the gym. You should not be dependent on anything else other than yourself to exercise. That's why all my workouts are at home, at the airport, at the hotel room, etc.

Plus, I am using equipment that I can find at home: sofa, table, backpack with books instead of dumbbells etc.

I guess none of that was obvious, right? I don't know how to make it more obvious though! I'd love to hear your thoughts about it! :)

Thanks!!!

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
One tip I just read from the guy who wrote truth about abs that stood out (as I'm also a fitness nut and studied it in college - yes it's a major) was...

Sell people what they want, but give them what they need.

this is how he stood out from the other fitness products out there. he sold them abs b/c that's what most people are searching for, however he gave them a complete fitness (physical and mental) program that they could follow for life.

so if your goal is to do that then i'd say great site and you're on the right track - just add a little more of a marketing spin to it to increase interest, differentiation and conversion

joe

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011

I am focusing on the long-term view of fitness rather than the short term. Most fitness sites tell you "Get ripped in 3 months", "Get a bikini body", etc.

My aim is not to get you a bikini body, and then let you stop exercising and lose everything you strived for. My aim is to help you build the right foundation, build an exercise system that works for you, so that you will exercising for the rest of your life!

To do that, I am incorporating a lot of behavior change elements...Start with small steps that you can tackle, slow down if something feels overwhelming rather than stopping, etc.

I use minimalism because it helps on focusing on what actually matters and on learning to do more with less. Consistency matters, fast results don't.

Exercise can happen anywhere, not just in the gym. You should not be dependent on anything else other than yourself to exercise. That's why all my workouts are at home, at the airport, at the hotel room, etc.

Plus, I am using equipment that I can find at home: sofa, table, backpack with books instead of dumbbells etc.

I guess none of that was obvious, right? I don't know how to make it more obvious though! I'd love to hear your thoughts about it! :)

Thanks!!!

I'm into this type of stuff, so my input might not be from the perspective you're looking for. Though, I'd personally go less for the "what if exercise was so easy you wanted to actually do it" headline and more along the lines of what you really want to accomplish. In your case very effective, efficient workouts. How to do this right now? I'm not sure. I could be way off base with that suggestion for your demographic, but those are just my thoughts.

I see Shape and I think lame exercises and workouts that make people feel good because they think they exercised. But it ends there. Ultimately, the workouts have no coherence, aren't very hard, have no progression, and are ineffective in the long term.

I think royemunson raised a great point when he mentioned the tip "Sell people what they want, but give them what they need". You know what they need, which is consistency, progression, full behavior changes (diet, etc.). If those nuggets and pushes in the right direction are on your site now, I wasn't made aware of it.

Do you have a daily workout people can follow? A lot of people have jumped on the Crossfit bandwagon of WODs (Workouts of the Day). Many follow the same intense approach though. Not all want, or are capable of, busting a$$ like some of those workouts require. Many require equipment most don't have and won't buy. So on and so forth, you see where I'm going I hope.

Maybe you can do something like a daily workout that incorporates more behavioral changes. You could make a workout with a small chunk of time to a workout, a small chunk to conscious relaxing and/or diet logging, or SOMETHING. Someone out there may be doing this now, but not doing it with visibility. You have a catchy name going for you.

The collection of fitness websites out there are cluttered with lots of guru-ism and basically pure crap. There's a few gems out there, but for most its hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. And a lot don't easily tie everything together for beginners. You have a good nutrition guy here, a good workout guy there, a good overall guy here. A couple are good at the big ticket items, but now are they as easy to find/identify? Are they hand-holding people like most probably want/need--at least in the beginning? No.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I'm going to stop in hopes that I got my point across by now.

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
I got that it's aimed towards people that either 'hate' regular workout or doesn't have the time for it...

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
I saw your review of Art of the Pole on some earlier posts. I see a lot of reviewers post reviews of a product and think provide an affiliate link to purchase the product elsewhere, to make a commission from the sale. I notice you didn't do this; the first link goes to the product website.

This DVD series exists on Amazon. You're pitching the products, why not try to make some $$ off your reviews?

Maria

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Nov 29, 2011
I saw your review of Art of the Pole on some earlier posts. I see a lot of reviewers post reviews of a product and think provide an affiliate link to purchase the product elsewhere, to make a commission from the sale. I notice you didn't do this; the first link goes to the product website.

This DVD series exists on Amazon. You're pitching the products, why not try to make some $$ off your reviews?

Hi winch! Thanks for your feedback.

I don't want to sell affiliates. My site is still small (1,000,000 global ranking on Alexa) and I don't think it would make sense to monetize yet. Plus, I am preparing towards releasing my own products...

I see SHAPE and think of lame as well. I will devote some time in December and January to connect my workouts to each other, so that it's easier for people to have a program to follow. Up until now I was focusing on actually having workouts to show, and on explaining the philosophy behind the site.

After all my site is not just about getting results, it's about getting results that last. :D

I asked about differentiation because I know the design of my website could be improved to better convey my message, but I am unclear on how to do so.

I tried working with two designers, but their approach would actually hurt my website (too girly, or other critical mistakes like light yellow fonts on white background...), so I am not sure where to turn to for feedback.

Btw, I don't intend to market the website to girls only. Its targeted to both guys and girls who have a hard time incorporating exercise in their lives.

So if you have any advise on how to change the design (incl. the tagline and the text involved) to better show my differentiation I would deeply appreciate it.

Thanks again!

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
Hi winch! Thanks for your feedback.

I don't want to sell affiliates. My site is still small (1,000,000 global ranking on Alexa) and I don't think it would make sense to monetize yet. Plus, I am preparing towards releasing my own products...

I see SHAPE and think of lame as well. I will devote some time in December and January to connect my workouts to each other, so that it's easier for people to have a program to follow. Up until now I was focusing on actually having workouts to show, and on explaining the philosophy behind the site.

After all my site is not just about getting results, it's about getting results that last. :D

I asked about differentiation because I know the design of my website could be improved to better convey my message, but I am unclear on how to do so.

I tried working with two designers, but their approach would actually hurt my website (too girly, or other critical mistakes like light yellow fonts on white background...), so I am not sure where to turn to for feedback.

Btw, I don't intend to market the website to girls only. Its targeted to both guys and girls who have a hard time incorporating exercise in their lives.

So if you have any advise on how to change the design (incl. the tagline and the text involved) to better show my differentiation I would deeply appreciate it.

Thanks again!

I see your point on affiliate. I'm not a blogger, so it was just something I thought about as I've seen that done before.

BTW, as I said I'm not a blogger, so--as always--take my advice with a grain of salt. I am very much into fitness and am usually reading about health-related stuff for the sake of it (because it's interesting, and sometimes humorous to see what some writer's conclude).

I honestly do think creating a "system" or sort--you said connecting the workouts--is a good idea. Anytime someone takes smart programming and make it easy to follow (read "spoon feeds") for newbies that's a plus to me. Disclaimer, from my view if you can't figure out how to fit exercise into your daily life you're A) Lazy and won't workout anyway or B) New to the game and therefore need some guidance into the right direction.

Note: If you end up doing daily workouts, I'd make them succinct and on a separate page from your articles or discussion-related postings.

I don't see any of this giving you immediate visibility, however. If people start doing it and talk about it, that's obvious. How do you get them there though? I don't know. As I said, I'm no blogger. Do you participate at all in the web fitness community? How are you getting your message out right now?

With that... What IS your message?

I'll say this. Anytime I see a fitness website with pink on it, I don't think it's for guys. And if it has easy, my alarm goes off and I usually navigate away. That's just me. Working out is easy (we all know results require going outside your comfort zone at times). But actually just doing any kind of activity is the easy part. Doing it with consistency, a smart progression, and in an enjoyable way is the hard part for most IMO. Does your approach address that?

pstchaseki

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 18, 2011

THAT's what you NEED to emphasize right way!!! Not only are you dealing with public's short attention span, but things have to be CLEARLY DEFINED. YOU do it for them. Simply put, approach it like you're dealing with STUPID SIMPLE (remember that rule?) short attention spanned people.

My first impression was, "Just an ordinary women's health & fitness home program." I remembered your 30 sec rule, so I started scrolling down, got to your "about" pic and clicked on it. When reading your bio, that is where I clearly saw that anyone (incl me) could relate right away. And that's when I said to myself, "Hey maybe this person is onto something, I want to know more!"

I hope my few pennies was at the least helpful!

Cheers & Best

Maria

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Nov 29, 2011
Ok, I think am starting to get a picture on how I should change my design to better talk about long-term and results that last, vs. short-term.

One final question...

Most of have mentioned that it strikes you as a women's blog. Why is that?

Is it because "Fitness Reloaded" is in pink?

Is it because I am a girl, and you see a woman doing all the exercises?

Or, maybe, cause I am not talking about power and six packs (what guys are mostly attracted to), but about "easy exercise"?

Or, maybe something else?

Thank you all!

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
One tip I just read from the guy who wrote truth about abs that stood out (as I'm also a fitness nut and studied it in college - yes it's a major) was...

Sell people what they want, but give them what they need.

this is how he stood out from the other fitness products out there. he sold them abs b/c that's what most people are searching for, however he gave them a complete fitness (physical and mental) program that they could follow for life.

so if your goal is to do that then i'd say great site and you're on the right track - just add a little more of a marketing spin to it to increase interest, differentiation and conversion

joe
THIS!

As great as it sounds to get lifetime fitness via behavioral change, that's not what many people are looking for. They're looking for quick, easy wins. Which is why there are so many "successful" companies out there selling these magic pills and 30 day results - they are marketing to what people WANT.

I like the concept, of using minimalism, which obviously a lot of people are into these days, and making it easy. BUT, you don't sell the true benefit - THE RESULTS.

First, I would have a "Welcome" page that details your philosophy, etc. People who stumble upon the blog have to try to hard to figure out what it's about. You should be pushing people to this welcome page at the top (at least for new people with no cookie history from your site).

On this welcome page, I would start by going after all the things these people have probably tried before.

Tried to use magical pills that "guarantee" weight loss only to see minimal results?
Sick of disgusting meal replacement shakes that leave you feeling hungry?
Burnt out on intense 90 day workout programs that aren't sustainable?

Then I would say what I do different, how it's easy and natural, thus sustainable unlike the yo-yo diets the readers have done in the past, etc.

This will naturally lead into the benefits of this type of diet. "By making small decisions to eat healthier and get in quick, easy workouts you'll benefit by living a healthier life, with a smaller waist, lots of energy, and more confidence than you've ever felt before!"

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Ok, I think am starting to get a picture on how I should change my design to better talk about long-term and results that last, vs. short-term.

One final question...

Most of have mentioned that it strikes you as a women's blog. Why is that?

Is it because "Fitness Reloaded" is in pink?

Is it because I am a girl, and you see a woman doing all the exercises?

Or, maybe, cause I am not talking about power and six packs (what guys are mostly attracted to), but about "easy exercise"?

Or, maybe something else?

Thank you all!
All of the above! Which is fine, you can't appeal to everyone. I think you are better off appealing to a smaller market (just women) at first, and you can expand to include men later.

Plus, as a woman, you're going to do a better job of marketing to women than you will men. Surpisingly, men seem to prefer watching other men workout instead of women if they have to copy the moves. That means no matter how hard you try to appeal to men, it won't work with you in the videos, and you'll just end up pushing women away - lowering your business' appeal and results.

I would rather see something 100% for ME, than something that maybe could appeal to me, but maybe more suited for someone else.

Once you are successful with women, you can have a seperate page for men for women to refer their husbands, boyfriends, fathers, etc. That page can have a man's voice and personality to it, with guys in the videos.

Maria

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Nov 29, 2011
Switching to women only is a question I have been struggling with. However, I decided it's better for me to stick to targeting both sexes.

For example, check bodyrock.tv . The founder is a woman and is very successful with both sexes. Of course, she is also selling sex, which I am not.

However, since my target market are people who are struggling with exercise I think I can serve both sexes really well. I guess a guy who wants to get to a 400 death lift wouldn't check my site, but he is not the target market anyway.

I think I need to change my tagline...and make the benefits more prominent. I have to think about it.

Thank you for your feedback.

AnthonyKrese

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
May 10, 2011
I'm a bit of a branding nerd, so I can't help myself:

Of course (as it's been said above), people want the quick fix. No doubt. I think
you can play both angles (quick and easy + long term commitment)...how about something like this:

Five Minute Fit
"It only takes five minutes, every day."
"Just give me five minutes, every day, and..."

(I think this domain name is actually available: fiveminutefit(dot)com)

I could see you attracting a following of females...but I could also see Five Minute Fit - For Men
eventually as well.

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
Is the belief that it really only takes 5 minutes a day, every day? Or is that just the hook?

I'd like to see the transformation a person gets from working out a total of 35 minutes per week. Assuming they do it 7 days a week.

AnthonyKrese

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
May 10, 2011
Is the belief that it really only takes 5 minutes a day, every day? Or is that just the hook?

I'd like to see the transformation a person gets from working out a total of 35 minutes per week. Assuming they do it 7 days a week.

I saw this quite a few times on her website: "Got five minutes?"

Yeah, haha, obviously she can't sell transformation like that. It seems like her brand
is more about busy people getting some exercise every day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...