The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction and First Post, From Bao

baobie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 3, 2022
Hello everyone, I am Bao from Malaysia. I just finished reading “Millionaire Fastlane ” and can’t wait to join this forum.

First, I would like to thanks MJ for crystallizing his experience and wisdom in the book. I am sure the book benefited a lot of people. (I finally read it after someone promotes it to me, I ran into the book a few times in bookstore but didn’t pick it up as the title of the book is too catchy and sounds like another “get rich quick” or should I call it “get rich easy” book).

Now I promote the book to my close friends who would want to be fastlaner. I am driving in the Fastlane albeit the journey is bumpy. But as I am driving on it, I can see unexpected opportunities. Indeed, Fastlane doesn’t have a very clear map. Transition from slowlane to fastlane is full of uncertainties, but I am glad I made the transition and have more time for my family and myself. I wish to learn and continue driving on the fastlane and do not want to go back to the slowlane. For Heaven's sake, I am not trading my 5 for 2 and I don't want to spend 30 years in a office cubicle.

Lastly, if you would allow me some of your time, I would like to share some of my mistakes and observations:

Some mistakes that I made:
  • Pursued a master degree just for the sake of a higher pay, which did not work out well because in nature, job is time consuming and I did not like it.
  • Buying some products start up sale kit, be an insurance agent ect. Which I do not have control over the product and the terms. And there was no barrier of entry. Competition is fierce and I did badly and quit after a few months.
  • Do not have control over my first business. When I formed my first company, the company shares is 50:50. Whenever we have a disagreement, it is perpetual duel and no decision can be made and action taken. In the end, divorce is inevitable but a painful process.
  • Not courageous to make purchase decisions. Initially, I did not buy some vital machineries and opt for renting it from external parties, which I have no say of the rental rate and terms, and got ripped off. Now I do a buy or lease analysis for the vital machineries. My priority is to buy.
  • I am still running my business in a sole proprietary and partnership form, I did the paperwork and all new businesses in going into the new private limited company now. But I am still expose to unlimited liability risk.

Some observations that I would like to share:
  • Fastlane do not have a clear map. You might think your destination is A but you ended up with B and C plus a little of A. When I first started, I rent machinery for production purpose. Slowly I bought more and more machines. Now I rent them out to collect monthly rent. Gee, I prefer the rental business than the production business (human resource business). Less time needed to manage the rental business too!
  • You have to have control of your business. Now I am the majority shareholder and managing director.
  • Be wary of bad customers and bad business partners. MJ had discussed them in the book already.
  • Stay liquid, make your monthly instalment on time and maintain a good credit record. Then bank is willing to fund your business expansion at a cheap rate. Then you can leverage your business without equity financing, which can be much expensive than debt financing.
  • Focus on improving your business. Experiment and adopt new production techniques for cost saving/quality improvement purposes.
  • Listen to your customers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome.

I ran into the book a few times in bookstore

You saw the book in a book store in Malaysia? English or another language? I wasn't aware it was selling in Malaysia.

baobie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 3, 2022
Welcome.

You saw the book in a book store in Malaysia? English or another language? I wasn't aware it was selling in Malaysia.
English. That was a few years back, MPH bookstore or Popular bookstore, I couldn't remember. I buy books at Google Book now.

Your book is famous among Mainland China and discussed in several forum like Zhihu too.

(I am a Chinese diaspora so I can understand Chinese too.)

Below is the link of Popular Bookstore which sell Millionaire Fastlane , Chinese version.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...