The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Introduction - and a request for advice

brtybit65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 1, 2016
Hi, so I am new to the forum. I thought I might as well do an introduction, as this place seems like such a valuable community to be a part of, and I'd also love some advice.

I'm a nineteen year old guy, and after one year at university I don't see myself returning. Too boring, felt like I was wasting time, my heart wasn't in it. I really just want to get out there.

Mid this year I really started researching how you can be an entrepreneur and live a life on your own terms. I read and finished the Millionaire Fastlane about a month ago.

Here is the situation. I have been offered a sales job that has long hours, but I should be able to make at least 80k US in the first year, that starts in January.

After reading the contract and thinking about it, I am just not sure. I'd love to earn an income doing my own thing online, copywriting, affiliate marketing, or whatever else, with the eventual goal being to earn a great income from writing novels.

I guess what it comes down too is do I want to take a slowlane job that has some fastlane aspects too it, or try jump into the fastlane with no large savings to back me up.

What would you do in my position?

I appreciate all advice and criticism. I just want to make the right decision. Thanks for reading this over.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Welcome! As far as writing novels, here's a thought, for what it's worth...

If that's your eventual dream/goal, you can get started regardless, whether you're still in school or holding down a challenging job. If I were your age, and writing novels were my ultimate dream, I'd probably do what it took to earn an income (or get an education), and simultaneously, I'd be researching and writing my a$$ off on the side, finishing and releasing novels until I had a breakout success, or until I had enough modest successes to support myself financially.

Good luck on whichever path you choose!

brtybit65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 1, 2016
Welcome! As far as writing novels, here's a thought, for what it's worth...

If that's your eventual dream/goal, you can get started regardless, whether you're still in school or holding down a challenging job. If I were your age, and writing novels were my ultimate dream, I'd probably do what it took to earn an income (or get an education), and simultaneously, I'd be researching and writing my a$$ off on the side, finishing and releasing novels until I had a breakout success, or until I had enough modest successes to support myself financially.

Good luck on whichever path you choose!

Thank you for your advice. That's true, you just really need to write if you want to do it. It's lucky because I developed a good work ethic for writing in High School during my breaks, and have written 3 drafts of a novel already.

I think an advantage with having good full time work would be I could use a lot of that money to get quality covers, editing, and advertising, so if I did launch a book it would be successful.

I'll think over what you said for sure, and try and make the smartest decision about my future.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
and have written 3 drafts of a novel already.
Awesome!!! Already, this puts you way out ahead of most aspiring novelists. This is a really good sign.

I think an advantage with having good full time work would be I could use a lot of that money to get quality covers, editing, and advertising
Very true!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
, so if I did launch a book it would be successful.
Drat! I should've clarified something: Great editing, a terrific cover, and extensive advertising, alas, can't guarantee a book's success. You probably realized this already, but I only mention this so you don't get discouraged if your first effort doesn't pay off.

I didn't see any real success until my seventh book. But hopefully lightning might strike faster for you. Good luck! :)

brtybit65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 1, 2016
Drat! I should've clarified something: Great editing, a terrific cover, and extensive advertising, alas, can't guarantee a book's success. You probably realized this already, but I only mention this so you don't get discouraged if your first effort doesn't pay off.

I didn't see any real success until my seventh book. But hopefully lightning might strike faster for you. Good luck! :)
That's true! There is a lot at play. If you find success in the end, well those other six books were worth it. I've read that books are one of the hardest things to sell, so we are in a tough market. Do you do other writing or have any other business ventures that generate income for you?

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
If you find success in the end, well those other six books were worth it.
Very true!

Do you do other writing or have any other business ventures that generate income for you?
Happily, I now make a nice living from novel-writing and focus exclusively on that. But before that, I worked for a looooong time as a writer in the private sector, mostly on the public relations side.

I wrote my first seven books on the side while I was employed, and I think that worked out well for two reasons: (1) I could write without financial pressure, since my day job paid the bills and (2) Those awful days at the office were just the thing to keep me motivated. "Must. Escape..."

brtybit65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 1, 2016
Very true!

Happily, I now make a nice living from novel-writing and focus exclusively on that. But before that, I worked for a looooong time as a writer in the private sector, mostly on the public relations side.

I wrote my first seven books on the side while I was employed, and I think that worked out well for two reasons: (1) I could write without financial pressure, since my day job paid the bills and (2) Those awful days at the office were just the thing to keep me motivated. "Must. Escape..."

I can understand the finical pressure thing. You wouldn't want to cheapen your work in any way just because you were starving for cash. Having a steady job while you do it on the side has it's positives, but I am just not sure if it would work for me. I'm really at a crossroads with whether I take this job or try my hand at generating an income online. In both situations, writing novels is the end-game.

Thanks for giving me such in-depth feedback. This is what I needed when I posted here.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
After reading the contract and thinking about it, I am just not sure. I'd love to earn an income doing my own thing online, copywriting, affiliate marketing, or whatever else, with the eventual goal being to earn a great income from writing novels.

I guess what it comes down too is do I want to take a slowlane job that has some fastlane aspects too it, or try jump into the fastlane with no large savings to back me up.

What would you do in my position?

Take the job. You'll learn a TON, and after a few years, you'll have some cash to start your own thing, some ideas, and some experience to make it work

Good luck! It sounds like a good opportunity for someone your age.

brtybit65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 1, 2016
Take the job. You'll learn a TON, and after a few years, you'll have some cash to start your own thing, some ideas, and some experience to make it work

Good luck! It sounds like a good opportunity for someone your age.

That is sound logic. I'd be learning and earning a decent income while doing it.

brtybit65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 1, 2016
Update:

I have had my friend who is studying law look over the contract. This is his summary: "On the whole, if you are able to make regular sales, the commission prices are decent. However, the contract is construed quite unfavourably towards you and gives the Company a fair amount of power but very little responsibility."

I think I'd be working super hard for my money, and might not have time to even work on the side.

C Scott

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Nov 21, 2016
Update:

I have had my friend who is studying law look over the contract. This is his summary: "On the whole, if you are able to make regular sales, the commission prices are decent. However, the contract is construed quite unfavourably towards you and gives the Company a fair amount of power but very little responsibility."

I think I'd be working super hard for my money, and might not have time to even work on the side.

Are there any other jobs that would free up more time at a livable wage? Also, do you write best in the morning or evening? Maybe that will help you choose a 9-5 vs evening job.

brtybit65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 1, 2016
Are there any other jobs that would free up more time at a livable wage? Also, do you write best in the morning or evening? Maybe that will help you choose a 9-5 vs evening job.

Yeah right now I have part-time work and some savings, and could find another job that would give me time to write if I needed too. All things to consider.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...