What's new

Introduction. About Me and My Idea.

Idea threads

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

NickT41

New Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Joined
Dec 4, 2013
Messages
55
Rep Bank
$430
User Power: 118%
F*ck it. I decided to join the INSIDERS. I'm motivated, ready, and seriously pumped to join you guys for this journey. I need you guys to keep me going and I figured the small price to pay will be a million times worth it in the future. If I fail, the learning experience is still worth it ten-fold.

I originally posted my idea in the community threads: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ebsite-idea-for-homeowners.49881/#post-324743 Now that I'm an Insider, should I delete it? It's only a vague idea and it's JUST an idea.

I'm Nick and I'm from Ohio. I read the book a few months ago - loved it. It really motivated me and the motivation hasn't stopped. I'm 29, enjoy construction, but I'd love to work for myself. I'm sick of the rat race and cubicle life.

Of course, I haven't made much progress in my goals and cannot settle on an idea of what I want to pursue - the main reason being that I don't know how and I'm probably too lazy to learn it! I have a full time job and intend on keeping it until I can make as much, or more, money on my own. I have however started a blog (designbidbuild.com), which will hopefully gain a little traction and lead me to my goal endeavor, but it's only a blog and I SUCK at marketing it.

I work for a GC in the construction industry. I know more about construction than the average homeowner, so that makes me somewhat of an "expert" therefore that's what I've been blogging about. I have an idea for a web application that I've put a lot of thought into over the last few months, took a lot of notes, but haven't begun to build it. I do not have a lot of money to put into it, so I'm hoping I can bootstrap as much as possible. I'm learning how to use WordPress, but at a snail's pace because it's only a blog.

I have scoped out the market a bit and received very little feedback. Most people on home improvement and DIY forums just ignore it. If you can provide feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

It is a website/application for those flipping houses, finishing basement, building a house, remodeling a house, etc. and could even be useful in the small commercial industry. Here's how it works:
  • the homeowner signs up and starts his/her project by uploading his/her design files to a unique "project site" of sorts. This includes photos, floor plans (if applicable), etc. A "wizard" will guide the homeowner along to create a scope of work for the contractor and a bid form.
  • The Project is posted to a "bid room" where others can view the project (much like Craigslist), with filters for trades such as paint, millwork, flooring, etc. Since there will be no contractors initially as members, the homeowner will also have a permalink to their project site that they can send via email, craigslist, etc., to contractors they'd like to bid. Questions can be asked and answered within each project site.
  • The contractors can access the project site and bid room without signing in, to provide a quote, they can create an account and input their quote using the provided bid form.
  • The quote(s) will be emailed to the homeowner, easy to read and easy to analyze. They can award the project from there.
  • I haven't worked out monetization - I could have a free trial and a flat fee for each project and perhaps a monthly fee for professionals homebuilders, developers, and GC's using it to bid out work. I could also price based on bandwidth uploaded - that's way down the road.
  • I also haven't quite figured out how to sell my website. I can do some cold calls, post on forums, buy ads (if I have any $), etc. I figure that, as well, can happen down the road. I need to make some progress before I think TOO far ahead.

I'm not sure what I'll call it. I had intended on designbidbuild.com because I like the domain. I also purchased quiquote.com impulsively a few months ago.

I'm at a bit of a quandary right now. I'm at the point where I don't have a lot of money to put toward my idea and not enough knowledge to start it. I've been trying to learn code on Codeacademy, but if I continue that route, I may be a year or more out from knowing what the hell I'm doing. If anyone has any advice on how I can get it on the fastrack sooner, it'd be greatly appreciated. I figure I can at least start drawing my webpage on paper or photoshop/powerpoint. That way, I can pitch it a little easier for feedback and what not.

Thanks for reading, whomever made it this far. I look forward to being part of your group and look forward to what 2014 brings.

Nick
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Vjot tuapft moli tunivjoph vjev piift vu gostv ci onqminipvif op 1 us 2 tnemm sihoupt ev e voni. Heopoph "datvunist" gostv ot e xetvi ug voni og zua fup'v jewi dupvsedvust vu cof. O xuamf tvesv op vji meshitv 2 mudem esiet vu zuas mudevoup(O'n op Muaotoepe, tu O xuamf fu Cevup Suahi epf Pix Usmiept), epf tvesv dupvedvoph e xofi sephi ug dupvsedvust. Updi zua jewi suugist, desqipvist, hipisem dupvsedvust, qeopvist, ivd, VJIP zua dep tvesv qatjoph zuas tiswodi vu vji edvaem juni-uxpist epf tiswodi tiilist. Uggis vji dupvsedvust e cof gus gsii, djeshi e qisdipvehi/gmev gii gus vji xoppoph coffis.

IFOV: Emtu, e nuf dep nuwi zuas qsuhsitt vjsief vu vji Optofi. Vji Optofi ot puv opfiyif cz Huuhmi xjodj ot e jahi cipigov gus qsuhsitt vjsieft tu zua dep qutv nusi opvonevi fiveomt ecuav zuas hsuxvj xovjuav xusszoph ecuav e datvunis gopfoph zuas "hiv sodj" vjsief up Huuhmi.
 
Heopoph "datvunist" gostv ot e xetvi ug voni og zua fup'v jewi dupvsedvust vu cof. O xuamf tvesv op vji meshitv 2 mudem esiet vu zuas mudevoup(O'n op Muaotoepe, tu O xuamf fu Cevup Suahi epf Pix Usmiept), epf tvesv dupvedvoph e xofi sephi ug dupvsedvust. Updi zua jewi suugist, desqipvist, hipisem dupvsedvust, qeopvist, ivd, VJIP zua dep tvesv qatjoph zuas tiswodi vu vji edvaem juni-uxpist epf tiswodi tiilist. Uggis vji dupvsedvust e cof gus gsii, djeshi e qisdipvehi/gmev gii gus vji xoppoph coffis.

Vjot xet iyedvmz nz usohopem vjuahjv. Vjeplt gus vji giifcedl Csepfup.
 
O ati vjot gus upi ug nz dunqepoit xxx.vjicmaicuul.dun - tuapft moli zuasi vszoph vu fu vji teni vjoph cetodemmz. vjizwi huv ov duwisif et ges et vji ofie xovj vjuatepft ug dmoipvt. cav omm howi zua vjot jopv, vjios tztvin epf gapdvoupemovz ot xiel. IYQMUOV OV
 
Vjot tuapft moli tunivjoph vjev piift vu gostv ci onqminipvif op 1 us 2 tnemm sihoupt ev e voni. Heopoph "datvunist" gostv ot e xetvi ug voni og zua fup'v jewi dupvsedvust vu cof. O xuamf tvesv op vji meshitv 2 mudem esiet vu zuas mudevoup(O'n op Muaotoepe, tu O xuamf fu Cevup Suahi epf Pix Usmiept), epf tvesv dupvedvoph e xofi sephi ug dupvsedvust. Updi zua jewi suugist, desqipvist, hipisem dupvsedvust, qeopvist, ivd, VJIP zua dep tvesv qatjoph zuas tiswodi vu vji edvaem juni-uxpist epf tiswodi tiilist. Uggis vji dupvsedvust e cof gus gsii, djeshi e qisdipvehi/gmev gii gus vji xoppoph coffis.

IFOV: Emtu, e nuf dep nuwi zuas qsuhsitt vjsief vu vji Optofi. Vji Optofi ot puv opfiyif cz Huuhmi xjodj ot e jahi cipigov gus qsuhsitt vjsieft tu zua dep qutv nusi opvonevi fiveomt ecuav zuas hsuxvj xovjuav xusszoph ecuav e datvunis gopfoph zuas "hiv sodj" vjsief up Huuhmi.

Hsiev giifcedl!
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom