The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Information Product

ksam

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jun 20, 2011
Toronto
Hello,

I'm looking into selling an information product and I'm hoping to hear from some of the more experienced people here.
:smxF:

The product I'm selling is some of sort of programming training package and a job guide on finding jobs in the field. I created a faked landing page and did get some decent response so I believe there is a demand there. I got some questions that hopefully some of you can help me out.

1) Any general advices on selling an information product? What are the key items that need to be checked it off before I start creating the product?

2) My product will include 2 parts: a 10-15 short video clips training materials on the programming training and a job guide on finding a job in the field (e.g. industrial background, keywords to put on resume (which I find them very valuable when finding jobs), how to prepare for the interview of the programmer job, some real-life practice projects + answering section).

I am debating whether I should give out the whole training material for free and only charge for the job guide OR I should only give out the first 3 chapters of the training material so I can charge more for the whole package. The first option will probably allow me to spread the words better. For those who have experiences in selling information product, how do you determine how much free material to give out??

3) How should I determine the pricing of the product? Should I just go out and ask people how much they are willing to pay or there are better alternative?

Feel free to drop me a reply. This is the first time I'm looking into these type of business so the more people I can hear from the better :notworthy:

Sam

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Sam,

I have ZERO experience in this are but am subscribing so I can see what insight others will give you.

I am interested in this as well as I would REALLY like to start something with information products.

I always seem to think of physical products but would like to change that.

JDIII2007

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 10, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking into selling an information product and I'm hoping to hear from some of the more experienced people here.
:smxF:

The product I'm selling is some of sort of programming training package and a job guide on finding jobs in the field. I created a faked landing page and did get some decent response so I believe there is a demand there. I got some questions that hopefully some of you can help me out.

1) Any general advices on selling an information product? What are the key items that need to be checked it off before I start creating the product?

2) My product will include 2 parts: a 10-15 short video clips training materials on the programming training and a job guide on finding a job in the field (e.g. industrial background, keywords to put on resume (which I find them very valuable when finding jobs), how to prepare for the interview of the programmer job, some real-life practice projects + answering section).

I am debating whether I should give out the whole training material for free and only charge for the job guide OR I should only give out the first 3 chapters of the training material so I can charge more for the whole package. The first option will probably allow me to spread the words better. For those who have experiences in selling information product, how do you determine how much free material to give out??

3) How should I determine the pricing of the product? Should I just go out and ask people how much they are willing to pay or there are better alternative?

Feel free to drop me a reply. This is the first time I'm looking into these type of business so the more people I can hear from the better :notworthy:

Sam

Not an expert but have some book learning in this area. If I were you, I would look at some of the products that Alex Jeffreys does. His niche is internet marketing but his promotion method is in line with what you are looking for. Take a look at his stuff on the warrior forum for a good value on one of his products. I would post a link but want to comply with the board's rules.

That being said, you will want to create a sales funnel here. So yes, you will want to be giving away something for free that has value to get people to sign up to your mailing list. Then, you can pitch them the full product and decide if you want to have any upsells, downsells or have a continuity program. Basically, your goal will be to get them on your email list and then you can send them a number of emails to pitch them on the service.

I would also suggest that you start a blog that builds your name up as an expert in this area. This will help get your name out there and can be another way to pitch your product. This blog should have useful information in this area or explain how you rose through the ranks and are now a subject matter expert. Its goal is to build credibility and some name recognition.

Another thing you will need to think about is whether you will have a product launch or are going to quietly build up steam in SEO and elsewhere for this product as it becomes live. It is too lengthy to get into here but if you can get some JV partners to help promote your product to their lists, this can be very helpful to you.

As far as the pricing of the product, I would imagine a price from around $27 to $47 would sound about right. You could also create a nice upsell to pump up the price more perhaps with more elaborate videos. This niche sounds like it could be one to build a continuity program to where people could join a membership forum where you convey new tips and information each month or whatever. You could charge $30 a month for this or something similar. One thing you want to keep in mind is that you want to have a good enough profit margin to where affiliates could eventually promote this product and you will have to give them about a 50 or 60% commission rate to do that. One trick you can use if you get to that point is find similar products out there and see all the websites that are promoting those products. Then, you contact the website owners of those sites to possibly see if they can promote your product. Since they already are promoting a similar product, they will be more inclined to promote yours than the average affiliate.

Long story short, the information you are looking for is out there but you aren't likely to have it handed to you here. Be willing to spend a little money to get detailed information in this area. It will be worth it.

ksam

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jun 20, 2011
Toronto
That's some awesome info JD. They seem to have some good stuff there on the warrior forum too. Can't believe I'm missing it out till now.

Finding a JV seems intriguing to me. I always wanted to outsource some heavy duty stuff so I can keep on sipping Piña colada on the beach while keeping the cash coming in :smx9: Any tips or precautions when looking for a JV?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.