The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Info on B&M distribution business model?

Garthog

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 8, 2015
So I find plenty on sourcing, dropshipping, FBA and such, but for the life of me can't find anything on the actual Brick & Mortar (B&M) distribution aspect for those looking to go that route.

My potential partner has been importing and exporting for years, but he's kind of a hustler without organisational (or internet) skills. I don't want to give the wrong impression, but think of importing stock liquidations from first world markets and exporting them to... less-than-obvious international markets. Nothing shady, he just has the right connections and experience in those markets.

We intend to start an import-export business to automate what he already has going on and expand that with an online brand for B2C and B2B distribution.

For that we need to lease a warehouse and start your typical warehousing... stuff?

Are there any sources on setting up the processes around a B&M warehouse? I'm looking for checklists, what the day-to-day operations look like etc.

Of course I can start like anyone else here, but I believe the physical warehouse can give me a leg up. My potential partner's business can cover the overhead, so that's not the problem. I just don't know where to educate myself on this aspect.

Any help?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I've worked in distribution. What specifically do you want to know?

It's simple enough to find real estate to lease - though an under-utilized and cheaper tactic would be to find an established distributor and see about sub-leasing some space.

Once you have space, put up racks. When inventory comes in, put it in the racks. Set up a UPS account. When you get an order, use UPS to ship it out. When you are just starting out, that's all you need - no fancy picking system or cycle count procedures. That stuff will develop over time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.