The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Improve Sales Skills

mmmoney

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Jul 15, 2009
One of the most important aspects of new small businesses is sales

I have never sold anything to anyone but would like to learn this skill

what can I do to learn this very important skill?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Anything ZigZiglar is great material. I enjoy Brian Tracey's the Psychology of Selling. Selling IMHO is one of those things that you really have to put into practice but also need excellent schooling in.

If it's possible, go to work for a company that has excellent sales training. And I don't mean a retail position. I mean something that forces you to reclose on the prospect or you lose. Re-closing is one of the more unnatural skill sets that you must develop. Most people are uncomfortable with it because re-closing is meant to be done at specific points and most people feel 'pushy'.

I got my sales training doing 3 months going door to door for combined life insurance. Then 3 months cold calling businesses for Aflac (and face to face stuff too). Then 3 months in a call center taking sales calls. Aflac has some of the best training but the opportunity to put it into play is far and few between. At the call center is where I REALLY sharpened my skills because you have no choice - you either take 42 calls a day and sell, or take 42 calls a day and sink.

My ability to recognize buying signals, ask the right questions that would allow me to personalize the solution, and how to re-close after a few tie downs is paramount.

Notice how I said "personalize the solution". Remember that. Selling is about learning their need and then giving it to them. But you have to stay away from generic solutions. Always try to personalize it and be specific to the prospect. That's the real key.

Ok, I'm done rambling now. I'm pretty passionate about sales :)

Really

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 15, 2009
Learn how to convince people about the benefits of yourp roducts.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
There are 1000 books out there for on how to sell something.

Let's take a step back for a second.

Selling is teaching. Assuming your product is needed/wanted then you don't have to sell it to people, you have to EXPLAIN it to people.

Now what all of those books do in one way or another is to teach you how to inform people about your product in a certain way in order to:
-Emphasize the benefits (goooooooooooooooooooood)
-Scare the shit out of you if you don't buy it (baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad)

So there are two reasons to buy: Because the product will make you happy (gooooood) or not having it will make you sad (Baaaaaaaaaaaaad).

Your job is a seller is to educate people on one or both of those so let's start simple - selling = teaching.

Think about the teachers who are effective - they make the information simple to understand, they make you laugh, they know that human beings have the attention span of a gnat and make their key points poignant and memorable.

I've heard fathers talk for an hour to a boy who comes to pick their daughter up for a date explaining all the reasons they should behave.

I glare once and say "Son, I'm not afraid to go back to prison".

So what are we selling today? Assuming it isn't fear of a painful dismemberment I haven't given you something you can use for your product other than theory....

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Most MLM/Network marketing companies have good sales material/training. For the small monthly fee or whatever it may be....it would probably be worth it.

I learned sales somewhat while doing credit card collections. When a sub-prime debtor is 6 months past due and probably already filed BK once in a past life....they don't have much motivation to pay...to say the least.

For me, it was being able to listen and think quickly. People will tell you how they want to be treated. Do they want to be babied because they had a stretch of bad luck....fine. I would tell them how I felt sorry for them, understood the situation they were in. Hell, in many cases....I would lie and make up stories about how I had went through the same thing and came out better on the other side for paying my bills! :coolgleamA:

But, I would do something either over the phone or in person to gain experience. Books are great (and I would read them as well) but experience trumps everything else.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Find out what someone's wants, needs and/or desires are.
Provide it for them the way they want it (to the extent possible)
Know your audience. E.g. One guy may need to be led to the closing table, while the other guy wants to hear what a strong decisive leader he is for making this decision so promptly. If he's weak, guide him. If he has an ego, stroke it.

And always remember that people do business with those they know, like and trust. Figure out how to be that person.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
If he's weak, guide him. If he has an ego, stroke it.

And always remember that people do business with those they know, like and trust. Figure out how to be that person.

SALES 101 in two lines!!! Works in ANY field.:hurray:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.