The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Importing from my bedroom

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
Hello,

Im 34 single guy living in New York. I was a software engineer for about 9 years (I was vp in inc 500 ecommerce, then consultant for corporations), getting comfortable salary. Last year October, I started to importing on the side, after 4 month, I was doing 100 orders and about $1500 a day in sales on ebay and amazon (mostly ebay), probably 30% is profit. So I quit my job as I was making pretty much same as my job. finally. I wanted earlier but I came to this country alone when I was 18 and took damn 16 years to get green card, and couldn't own my company during the time. so I was finally free. I was unhappy as shit, my well-being here was at mercy of a company who sponsored my visa for years (if i get laid off, i would be out of country) anyways. I fought with damn immigration system for 16 years. So I quit a job after I got green card and my side gig was taking off. but after 30 days of quitting, my ebay got shut down, I was told forever banned. Ok, lesson learned. I then went on amazon and started going crazy, after 5 month there, I was doing 70 orders a day both dropshipping and importing goods. then my performance went down, Now again, I was shut down, told forever banned again.

So after 30 days after that, I set up vps and new company and everything else, went back on both market place. It's been 2 weeks, I am doing about 20 orders a day. Just like anybody else, I am still looking for profitable products. I think I have uncreative generic products now, I feel like a trader. Every night, I look for products and ideas. I am pretty much back to start now. Having no job kinda fires me up. Headhuners call me but I am not interested in going for interview a job. I do this all day from my bedroom( I like to separate my space from the rest of my house, and I had to let go a warehouse guy when my acccount got shut down). My story may be not that interesting as others. however, I will share my progress here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Hello,

Im 34 single guy living in New York. I was a software engineer for about 9 years (I was vp in inc 500 ecommerce, then consultant for corporations), getting comfortable salary. Last year October, I started to importing on the side, after 4 month, I was doing 100 orders and about $1500 a day in sales on ebay and amazon (mostly ebay), probably 30% is profit. So I quit my job as I was making pretty much same as my job. finally. I wanted earlier but I came to this country alone when I was 18 and took damn 16 years to get green card, and couldn't own my company during the time. so I was finally free. I was unhappy as shit, my well-being here was at mercy of a company who sponsored my visa for years (if i get laid off, i would be out of country) anyways. I fought with damn immigration system for 16 years. So I quit a job after I got green card and my side gig was taking off. but after 30 days of quitting, my ebay got shut down, I was told forever banned. Ok, lesson learned. I then went on amazon and started going crazy, after 5 month there, I was doing 70 orders a day both dropshipping and importing goods. then my performance went down, Now again, I was shut down, told forever banned again.

So after 30 days after that, I set up vps and new company and everything else, went back on both market place. It's been 2 weeks, I am doing about 20 orders a day. Just like anybody else, I am still looking for profitable products. I think I have uncreative generic products now, I feel like a trader. Every night, I look for products and ideas. I am pretty much back to start now. Having no job kinda fires me up. Headhuners call me but I am not interested in going for interview a job. I do this all day from my bedroom( I like to separate my space from the rest of my house, and I had to let go a warehouse guy when my acccount got shut down). My story may be not that interesting as others. however, I will share my progress here.
What type of stuff do you import? Why were you banned from ebay and amazon?

Travis.I

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 11, 2014
Washington, US
Man.. I can agree with you that it sucks being banned from both Amazon and eBay, but to add on top of that I am blacklisted from Paypal.

Ever since all of that happened, it's been a struggle for $$.

Happy to see just creating new stuff on a VPS works for you..

Justin.p

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 10, 2014
Austin, TX
For those of us that don't want to ever face a Amazon, eBay, or Paypal ban - what is your advice? Is there a significant challenge to it or rules that aren't widely known people end up violating?

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
There's got to be a reason why you got banned from both places. Are you selling shady products?

Absolutely, yes.
What type of stuff do you import? Why were you banned from ebay and amazon?

The reason I got kicked by eBay was because then I had a guy who used to sell my products through his account as well (he actually had his account since 90s, he used to argue with meg whitman on the phone when she was starting up lol), but his account got shut down for matrix, they linked me and shut mine down. Also, At that time, well I was completely novice, found the product that was selling like a hot cake on amazon on alibaba. It was a clone vaporizer. I bought them like crazy. Even though, I was not caught for it, I have a feeling that that was something to do with it. karma i believe.

Amazon is a performance, I used 10 % dropship but late shipment kicked in one day from manufacture, and it took defect rate to above 1%.

Now I read up all the basic things of researching products and do alot of research on IP right and customer review, I try to stay away from complex products and try to carry products as simple as possible.

Last edited:

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
Man.. I can agree with you that it sucks being banned from both Amazon and eBay, but to add on top of that I am blacklisted from Paypal.

Ever since all of that happened, it's been a struggle for $$.

Happy to see just creating new stuff on a VPS works for you..

There is a grey line in how amazon and ebay operate in terms of the law. According to the us law, corp is a separate entity and business has to treat it like such. You just need to be creative and find a way to get back legit and never make the same mistake again. It's not the only way to make money on ebay and amazon anyways.

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
For those of us that don't want to ever face a Amazon, eBay, or Paypal ban - what is your advice? Is there a significant challenge to it or rules that aren't widely known people end up violating?

I guess just do the most basic things and do what's right.. Do research on products and give the absolutely best customer service.

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
There's got to be a reason why you got banned from both places. Are you selling shady products?

One was a clone vaporizer but that was ebay alone and never really got caught for it. "I didn't know and eveyrbody else was doing it" doesn't save anybody. I stopped selling it all together. But the problems were some defect items and customer service. I had about 30k worth of inventory in my bedroom. and just plain bad products to sell, low margin. Every day, it was pain to pack for the most of the day time. Now, I almost got rid of those products. I don't want to sell generic stuff just to compete on price. I am trying to be creative and customize items, find a good products with higher margin. I am also going to use FBA for all the channels I have, so to get away from my bedroom and work anywhere.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I used to sell lifeproof cases (copies) on eBay. Averaged 4-5 orders a day... Got banned too for up bidding my self...

Anyways, changed my internet, now I'm back in the game. One thing that's stopping me from importing and shipping myself is the ridiculous shipping rates in Canada... I paid $13 to send a dog collar to a city 15 minutes from where I live in Toronto...

Anyone know a cheap way to ship products? Any good dropshipping services that deliver fast? My supplier will dropship but he'll do it through chinapost which takes 15-30 days.. If he does it through DHL, the shipping will cost more than the product since it's only 1 product at a time. Any suggestions?

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Welcome! Gl on your next venture. Selling replicas/clones/fakes is easy money, but it never lasts..not worth the investment in time. I'm sure everyone's thought about it and has even sold some at one point...hell, even I sold a crapload of counterfit jerseys for cash in the area many moons ago, I would never do it online on ebay or amazon that's for sure. Stick around, this place is where you want to be.

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
Yea, at the peak I sold about 200 of vapes a day, thrill was great, but never do that again. I don't recommend using dropship like that at all.

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
Well not much has happened since last post, I signed up for a import web meeting at startupbros. I am still in the middle of liquidating my products in the bedroom.. 10 to 15 orders a day now. I sold about $5000 on ebay this month. Oh, amazon linked my account to my old account, so it got suspended..(fxx me) There is no second chance for them, well fine. (google chrome remembered my old login and i accidentally logged in from my remote computer) I just did $1000 order, and I had a perfect feedback.

I am working on a couple of things now. Importing/ distribution of optics line (I am an usa agent, so I actually talk to usa guys who contact through alibaba, hehe funny. I also made a usa version package for their products. I worked with their team at night on skype meeting) / Make a magetno with healthcare goods ( i plan to use ppc on this )

Well I am not making enough profits now. so I still live off my savings from my bedroom like a caveman. I have 2 clients who I work for now (from my bedrrom), they use my order management web based system. I get paid about 3k from that a month. but one of them is retiring. So I gotta ramp up my online sales.

Tomorrow, I am opening up an account with a usa manufacture. I am thinking that will open up some doors.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Well not much has happened since last post, I signed up for a import web meeting at startupbros. I am still in the middle of liquidating my products in the bedroom.. 10 to 15 orders a day now. I sold about $5000 on ebay this month. Oh, amazon linked my account to my old account, so it got suspended.. There is no second chance for them, well fine. (google chrome remembered my old login and i accidentally logged in from my remote computer) I just did $1000 order, and I had a perfect feedback.

I am working on a couple of things now. Importing/ distribution of optics line (I am an usa agent, so I actually talk to usa guys who contact through alibaba, hehe funny) / healthcare goods distribution ( i plan to use ppc on this )

Well I am not making enough profits now. so I still live off my savings from my bedroom like a caveman. I have 2 clients who I work for now (from my bedrrom), they use my order management web based system. I get paid about 3k from that a month. but one of them is retiring. So I gotta ramp up my online sales.

Tomorrow, I am opening up an account with a usa manufacture. I am thinking that will open up some doors.

5k a month is excellent progress bro! Just a question, I'm averaging 2-3 sales a day on ebay, but I just made my account.. I have 1 feedback rating but I've sold 4 more products since that.

Any tips on how I would attract more customers to my listings? I have a set of well designed templates I use. I even put my
Prices so that I only make $5 profit, just so I can build a customer base and get some feedback.. I tried buying feedback from fiverr, but all everyone is having troubles adding them to my account... No clue why.

Wish you all the best! Hoping you hit the 10k mark soon!

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
I also found a tenant for my house in long island new york. rent is $2500. so it covers the mortgage. I need to get rid of my stocks in bedroom by September. I need to build 2 years of renting record to get a second house. so this will work. I am looking for an apartment in Manhattan (to another bedroom)...

Harley

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jun 9, 2014
I used to sell lifeproof cases (copies) on eBay. Averaged 4-5 orders a day... Got banned too for up bidding my self...

Anyways, changed my internet, now I'm back in the game. One thing that's stopping me from importing and shipping myself is the ridiculous shipping rates in Canada... I paid $13 to send a dog collar to a city 15 minutes from where I live in Toronto...

Anyone know a cheap way to ship products? Any good dropshipping services that deliver fast? My supplier will dropship but he'll do it through chinapost which takes 15-30 days.. If he does it through DHL, the shipping will cost more than the product since it's only 1 product at a time. Any suggestions?
Agree with the Canada shipping. It's Crazy! I imported a product thought would cost about $5 to ship, only weighs a couple hundred grams - $17 shipping within Canada!

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Agree with the Canada shipping. It's Crazy! I imported a product thought would cost about $5 to ship, only weighs a couple hundred grams - $17 shipping within Canada!
lol I swear.

Why don't we open something like USPS in canada to eliminate these ridiculous shipping costs?? Hey, we can take canada post out of business!!!

Where are the entrepreneurs in canada? Let's do this!

I'm seriously going to do my research and see if it's possibles to do such a thing. I don't understand why canadian shipping is so expensive.

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
5k a month is excellent progress bro! Just a question, I'm averaging 2-3 sales a day on ebay, but I just made my account.. I have 1 feedback rating but I've sold 4 more products since that.

Any tips on how I would attract more customers to my listings? I have a set of well designed templates I use. I even put my
Prices so that I only make $5 profit, just so I can build a customer base and get some feedback.. I tried buying feedback from fiverr, but all everyone is having troubles adding them to my account... No clue why.

I heard of this guy... He makes ebay acount and sells it for 2 grand.(that's all he does for a living supposely) he sells bunch of cellphone case for a dollar to build a feedback. Try that. buy phonecase for 50 cents from alibaba. and sell it for $2.99. or $1.99. You should build a feedback. but I don't know if feedback matters that much. It should come naturally.

Last edited:

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
I also need to find a fulfillment center. As amazon kicked me into exile, I have to find another fulfillment center. with bonanza and ebay, I pack 20 orders a day. I hate packing!! My goal is $50,000 profit a month!

Last edited:

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014

Thanks man, Well I have 15 days left, so I think I will do 10k. but more importantly it's a profit that matters.. Cheers

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
So yea, this keeps me accountable, so I write. Since then I took a break on importing a bit.

I contacted about 5 usa manufactures and opened up an account. I hired a data entry/scraping/exporting guys from freelancer.com. It only costs me $150 to create a magento site. I hope the site to be up in 2 weeks from now. On this one, I got ppc expert that will help me. He actually just sold his company inc 500 one. he wants to partner with me on this one.

On Ebay, it keeps me busy packing. Many things I will not reorder, it's time to change the way I think and try something different. I did try retail arbitrage as well and it works well. I have to keep the rating high, which I have to hire customer service soon. I got another amazon account. I know some arbitrage products where I can take advantage so I will trade. I want to automate everything, arbitrage will make money but not the firstlane, but it raises cash.

I am going to contact company such as wayfair.com to push my binocular lines about 40 different products. I am not going to pay this in cash, maybe 30%, manufacture gave me a term for the rest. I have no idea, how the response will be. but I will dropship the binocular for the retailers. I have to give them enough margin as well as my share.

I am going to move to Brooklyn ny by September. I haven't been out much or doing socializing. Especially my girl left like 2 weeks ago. Tough love, well, she was a stripper so who am I kidding?

Well, I try to keep my focus, it's hard to stay jobless. I am determined to make it though, and I will keep pushing.

Last edited:

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
One thing right now is I try not to do work myself that burns me out. I have 2 guys working virtually for me right now for data entry. Even though I was a programmer for 10 freaking years I am going to avoid any programming or design, nor data import.

I have to fly to California next month for my client. I do amazon automation for them, they do like 100 orders. I am doing this

1. well they pay me so I can bootstrap myself.
2. They are a manufacture and they can open up some accounts for me.

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
Also, this is my 2nd month on this fresh ebay, I just got limit up to $25000 a month. A friend of mine who started working for a manufacture got $250,000 limit for his fresh account .I was surprised. He showed them the inventory sheet that they carry and they granted it. I thought it was a great idea for me to use it as well.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Also, this is my 2nd month on this fresh ebay, I just got limit up to $25000 a month. A friend of mine who started working for a manufacture got $250,000 limit for his fresh account .I was surprised. He showed them the inventory sheet that they carry and they granted it. I thought it was a great idea for me to use it as well.
How much feedback do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
How much feedback do you have?

Also, how did you get your limit up to 25k on your second month? My limit is only $2k or 35 items... Any suggestions?

debitandcredit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 15, 2014
Also, how did you get your limit up to 25k on your second month? My limit is only $2k or 35 items... Any suggestions?

i did 300 order and made 85 feedbacks ( real feedbacks from selling) in a month. You need to hit the mark first and call yahoo. tell them you have either a hit products nobody carries ( you should back up with some evidence ) or tell them you have so many skus you carry (you should make it sound you are a company not an individual )

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.