The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Impacting millions, unable to make a profit?

dinvesthk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 8, 2011
Social news websites like reddit.com and digg.com are impacting millions of people's lives (the first has 8 million while the latter has 5 million unique visitors per month), and yet reddit is barely breaking-even while digg is frequently reporting losses. Why is this the case? How can they turn things around?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The more profit you show, the more taxes you pay.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
until they generate revenues, IPOs will be harder and harder to get out strong. We're seeing more an dmore tech co. with IPO that are dropping in value as soon as they are out.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
They are adding some convenience, but not really creating anything new, recommendations to other pages. Not a lot of value and not solving a "painful" problem. That equals, not much profit.

C

chudnovsky

this is the way I understand this: their business models are flawed. they create these sites to provide a kind of "service", but with no idea of how to sell it. VC's and investors realize that some people are using these sites and they might become the "next big thing", so they inflate them with money with with the hope that they will find a way to squeeze money out of them, or that when they sell, their buyers will.

the Law of Effection works only if you impact millions from a business perspective. you must know how to make money: if you simply provide a service this way without knowing how to sell it, you might become the next youtube or facebook, or you might just be among the other 99% of the websites that fail big and you never heard of.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
this is the way I understand this: their business models are flawed. they create these sites to provide a kind of "service", but with no idea of how to sell it. VC's and investors realize that some people are using these sites and they might become the "next big thing", so they inflate them with money with with the hope that they will find a way to squeeze money out of them, or that when they sell, their buyers will.

the Law of Effection works only if you impact millions from a business perspective. you must know how to make money: if you simply provide a service this way without knowing how to sell it, you might become the next youtube or facebook, or you might just be among the other 99% of the websites that fail big and you never heard of.

You hit the nail right on the head. It's not about getting millions of visitors to your site; it's about monetizing them. Sites like Digg have a hard time being profitable because all of those visitors come with a bandwidth cost and the only way they can make money is through sponsored stories, which they don't get that much of. It's not like Amazon which gets tens of millions of paying customers every month.

Digg and Redditt just have millions of people using up bandwidth to read funny stories, only a few of which click on the ads. That's why it's better to have a few visitors who are paying for a service than millions of people who are just there to look at stuff for free. With the few customers you don't have to worry about bandwidth costs, and they give you money.

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
A whole lot of conclusions based off assumptions and dubious data being thrown around in this thread...

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
I agree with some of the things being said here. I have tried to shy away from businesses that can not profit from their first customer. While this may limit my scale and size of a company I can build... I feel more in control. You can see early on its not working and walk away. Now that doesent mean I won't run the first month or two non profit to get it going but I shouldent need investors to start making some roi from my advertising and word of mouth. Again I'm not saying this is the right way to do it at all it limits "thinking big" but unless I have investors lined up before I start executing a business plan it wouldent be very risky IMO.

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
I'm sure these sites make a profit. They might show a loss after all the big bonuses and payouts and crazy expenses but I'm sure the owners have become millionaires from them.

awjt

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 11, 2011
I'm not sure what the play is for these sites. One one hand, you could advertise becoming wildly profitable, due to very low staffing and high volume, and that might gain interest from potential buyers. Fluff up the feathers.

On the other hand, you could report low profit and high volume, yet on an individual affiliate level, you are always making money for them. Word gets out that you turn people a handsome profit, despite the woe-is-us publicity, and it attracts more affiliates and you grow your biz. Kind of like Bart Simpson, "All attention is good attention."

Remember, Amazon went years before turning a profit. Until they hammered out their distribution methods and achieved a critical volume, they suffered greatly. Or so they said...

Let me put it to you this way. No sane businessman would paint a negative picture about his own business unless there was a strategy. I don't know what Reddit or Digg's strategy is, or even if it's a good one, or if their handlers are sane, but I am certain there IS a strategy.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
A whole lot of conclusions based off assumptions and dubious data being thrown around in this thread...

well, if you know everything, instead of complaining maybe you should give us the facts and the real numbers:wave:

aug

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 26, 2011
well, if you know everything, instead of complaining maybe you should give us the facts and the real numbers:wave:

LOL

Read this from 2002 on Amazon.com Amazon posts its first net profit - CNET News they burned through hundreds of millions before making a profit.

The intrinsic value reddit adds to Advanced Publications is what matters and how they help further the company's business objectives. It's not always so cut and dry. There are loss leaders, competitive objectives, price dispersions, promotional value, etc... these are entire business cases that should be thought through before assuming that they are worthless because they don't turn a profit.

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011

I don't understand how you inferred that I had the facts and real numbers from that post. Having the actual numbers is not required to conclude that others do not have them when the information isn't publicly available.

Hey, if you want to go ahead and make conclusions of the viability of their businesses based off well, essentially nothing, don't let me distract you.

And for the record I'm not saying anyone is wrong either (as you astutely pointed out, I also don't have the facts), I was pointing out that the information used for analysis seems pretty weak.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
ah ok, then yes it's anybody's guess untill the copanies go public and show their reports.

but seeing the struggle of some companies before or after they go public, it's easy to conclude some of these companies have a hard time generating profits.. many IPOs are going down in value right after going public while others are postponing and postponing (think Groupon)

C

chudnovsky

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
well, if you know everything, instead of complaining maybe you should give us the facts and the real numbers
I don't understand how you inferred that I had the facts and real numbers from that post. Having the actual numbers is not required to conclude that others do not have them when the information isn't publicly available.

Hey, if you want to go ahead and make conclusions of the viability of their businesses based off well, essentially nothing, don't let me distract you.

And for the record I'm not saying anyone is wrong either (as you astutely pointed out, I also don't have the facts), I was pointing out that the information used for analysis seems pretty weak.

I don't think anyone is jumping to any conclusion because as you said, unless you have valid inside information, what you're talking about is just assumptions. on the other hand, you do not need facts and conclusions to have a discussion, and that's why we're here ;)

winch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 6, 2011
I don't think anyone is jumping to any conclusion because as you said, unless you have valid inside information, what you're talking about is just assumptions. on the other hand, you do not need facts and conclusions to have a discussion, and that's why we're here ;)

Well, yes, some conclusions were made. Hence the comment. Critical thinking/evaluation is benefited by having some evidence to back it up.

Your comment that we do not need facts and conclusions to have a discussion is completely valid. I agree. And in the context of your quoting me, I never said or implied otherwise.

Don't let me derail the discussion either. I was really hoping someone would post some numbers/articles/something in response (I don't care enough about Reddit or Digg to research them) that ultimately spawned some more discussion.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
Pet.com has a great story also about a company getting tons of money.. just to crash in an explosive way.

kahem89

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jul 20, 2011
Norway, Oslo
To first poster. I would just say impact millions, make millions is a term and there will always be expectations. You still need a business mindset to make money. If you have a concert for 10 millions and don't charge anyone you will still earn 0.

But maybe if u started charge 100 bucks u would have 1000 visitors which is a nice slump of 100k. If you told advertisers you sell banner adds for a 10 million concert you prolly would be paid allot more. The thing here is even impacting millions you still have to do business, and if nobody is willing to pay, its not a business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.