The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm abroad and need advice

Anything related to matters of the mind

PTFastlaner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 28, 2017
Europe
I've decided to change my life a while ago, build a business and control my life. Right after I made up my mind to give up my career and start something, I had to move to another country to be with my wife. The job pays OK (but not great, about 40000$ year) and we can have a job here for as long as we want but we want to go back to our country as soon as we can.

The problem is, back home getting a job is much, much harder, and won't pay as much. We're trying to save up as much as possible to be able to return more comfortably.
I'm been using this time to think about the business, do my research, but since we want to go back I can't start anything here. And even though still I don't have the one incredible idea for a business I'm certain I'll go with, the one I'm thinking of needs to be "Local", like have a physical place to provide services.

I'm 37 and I feel like time is running out. But I know when we go back, the money we'll need for a house/car won't leave much to invest in the business. Does anyone have any advice, for someone who is abroad?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, seemed appropriate.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Build a business that is totally online. Then that will give you the freedom to move as you choose and you break through the issue of looking for a job back home.

Sounds like if you can build something that earns as much as you earn now you will be sitting pretty back home as that money will go a lot further if employment is tough where you are from (is home still in Europe?)

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Does anyone have any advice, for someone who is abroad?
Well, I was going to say enjoy the food, but.

While you're here, why not source some locally made products that you could sell online or even in your own country when you return?

Or visa versa.

Use your time abroad to find unique niche products that don't get exported or look for opportunities to import or sell to the country you're in.

PTFastlaner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 28, 2017
Europe
Build a business that is totally online. Then that will give you the freedom to move as you choose and you break through the issue of looking for a job back home.
Use your time abroad to find unique niche products that don't get exported or look for opportunities to import or sell to the country you're in.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I'm European. The two issues are I never thought of selling online as a business model I'd excel at. I'm not good at making anything that I could sell. And the other, in western Europe I can't really think of anything that isn't imported/exported that could scale into something really profitable. I mean I can think of some food products that could sell here, but I'm thinking very small margins.

I'm wondering if there's more I could do with my time while I'm here, except for keep reading, and also should I keep saving for longer or just go back as soon as possible.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Move your mouse over the countries and click and then move your mouse over the industries and you will start to see what gets imported and exported to and from the UK and it's annual financial value.

It may take you a few minutes to see what I mean by the above instructions.

So which country are you from and you will see what we send and receive from them.

Dan

PTFastlaner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 28, 2017
Europe
Move your mouse over the countries and click and then move your mouse over the industries and you will start to see what gets imported and exported to and from the UK and it's annual financial value.

It may take you a few minutes to see what I mean by the above instructions.

So which country are you from and you will see what we send and receive from them.

Dan

Thank you very much for the tip, fantastic tool.

I really hope it doesn't sound like I'm making excuses but I'll expose my concerns. Which might very well be a result of my inexperience. I might also provoke, but to try to learn.

It seems like the majority of imported goods I couldn't simply sell online to final consumer. I would need a proper operation, instead of a ran from home online store. And if they are being imported to the country already, why would they need me as mediator/distributor?

PTFastlaner

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 28, 2017
Europe
I'm sure if you worked this angle a little more, you could find a number of things.

Assuming there is, isn't importing/exporting and distributing a big operation, requiring a full-time job? How could that fit as a side job?

I mean, I can see dropshipping as a viable possibility, but I get the feeling that what was suggested was a direct online store.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.