The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm 100% committed to starting a countertop resurfacing company. Pleath let me you what you think.

Midas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 10, 2016
So I've always been the handy DIY type. I have degrees in Accounting and Graphic Design and the natural ability to build/fix anything. But I've found my passion in Home Improvement. This is pretty much all I've done for the last two years. Long story short, I've found a way to use my artistic ability to create some really cool countertop surfaces. I overheard a landlord in Home Depot months ago complaining about spending $1000 to replace laminate countertops after each tenant moved out. A light bulb went off in my head.

My initial target market:

-Landlords
-House flippers
-Home sellers

The good:

-Industry is wide open in my area and beyond
-Not too many people know this is an option(And a much better alternative to laminate surfaces)
-Home reno $42M industry but lack lower end options such as what I'm proposing
-Brandable since everybody who does this has a different style.
-There are other companies that do this successfully in the US but lack the marketing to make this a home brand
-Very inexpensive to do-typical cost less than $100(tints, stains, epoxy)
-Maybe 6 total hours to complete(2 day process though)
-scalable through franchising or contractor training

The Bad:

-I have zero references at this point. A complete neophyte!
-I'm only 80% confident in my ability to deliver amazing results so hopefully I initially attract those who would have trashed the old countertop anyway
-Would have to schedule jobs around my 9-5 until it takes off
-Training others on the design part would be kind of tricky so to divorce from time I would need to come up with a way to make it easy to replicate to produce consistent results. Perhaps offering only certain colors/patterns.

The Goal(Fastlane):

-Expand services to affordable full kitchen makeovers typically geared toward homes < $100k. Where it doesn't make since to spend $15k-$20k on a remodel when a makeover can be had less than $2500 and only take around 3-5 days. Subcontracting the cabinet and wall paint, and flooring.
-Have trained contractors across the US
-Franchise, franchise, franchise

The Marketing:

-Aim towards the lower end homes
-Eco friendly. I can do a full page on how traditional remodels fill the landfills with tons of remodel waste each year.

Ok, I'm tired of typing. Instead of waiting for the PERFECT time to launch I decided to just put myself out there and see what I can blow up!

Here's my current CL ad. I'm going to hit my friends and family on FB as soon as I gather enough moxy lol. Ad was flagged but see below.

4JYotEy.jpg

he9q1bV.jpg
YQGCacZ.jpg

znksIDc.jpg

Any and all feedback, idears, suggestions much appreciated guys and gals!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
So I've always been the handy DIY type. I have degrees in Accounting and Graphic Design and the natural ability to build/fix anything. But I've found my passion in Home Improvement. This is pretty much all I've done for the last two years. Long story short, I've found a way to use my artistic ability to create some really cool countertop surfaces. I overheard a landlord in Home Depot months ago complaining about spending $1000 to replace laminate countertops after each tenant moved out. A light bulb went off in my head.

My initial target market:

-Landlords
-House flippers
-Home sellers

The good:

-Industry is wide open in my area and beyond
-Not too many people know this is an option(And a much better alternative to laminate surfaces)
-Home reno $42M industry but lack lower end options such as what I'm proposing
-Brandable since everybody who does this has a different style.
-There are other companies that do this successfully in the US but lack the marketing to make this a home brand
-Very inexpensive to do-typical cost less than $100(tints, stains, epoxy)
-Maybe 6 total hours to complete(2 day process though)
-scalable through franchising or contractor training

The Bad:

-I have zero references at this point. A complete neophyte!
-I'm only 80% confident in my ability to deliver amazing results so hopefully I initially attract those who would have trashed the old countertop anyway
-Would have to schedule jobs around my 9-5 until it takes off

The Goal(Fastlane):

-Expand services to affordable full kitchen makeovers typically geared toward homes < $100k. Where it doesn't make since to spend $15k-$20k on a remodel when a makeover can be had less than $2500 and only take around 3-5 days.
-Have trained contractors across the US
-Franchise, franchise, franchise

The Marketing:

-Aim towards the lower end homes
-Eco friendly. I can do a full page on how traditional remodels fill the landfills with tons of remodel waste each year.

Ok, I'm tired of typing. Instead of waiting for the PERFECT time to launch I decided to just put myself out there and see what I can blow up!

Here's my current CL ad. I'm going to hit my friends and family on FB as soon as I gather enough moxy lol
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/hss/5877287916.html

Any and all feedback is much appreciated guys and gals!

I didn't read any of your post, but I can tell you that someone that says that they're "100% committed to starting...what do you think?" Isn't committed at all. First step is to be honest with yourself.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
First:
Read posts by AndrewNC on upgrading your thinking process. 80% will get you by...100% and you'll make a killing.
Read posts by SinisterLex and get an idea of copywriting.

Attention all landlords, house flippers, and house sellers. I'm about to save you a ton of money!!

Little Rock native Accountant/handyman/graphic designer but right now I am offering counter-top resurfacing for as low as a single rent payment for an entire kitchen surface! You may have seen similar companies try to replicate the natural beauty of stone but you haven't seen anything like this. What ever color scheme you dream up. DO NOT REPLACE THOSE BUSTED LAMINATE COUNTERTOPS!!! Call me.

The beautiful colors are embedded in a seal coat made of a very durable, stain and scratch resistant, 100% VOC free, odorless, commercial grade epoxy that can take a serious beating and will last a very long time.

-Upscale look for a fraction of the cost
-Stain and scratch resistant surface
-Easy to clean and maintain
-Attract higher quality tenants
-Sell you house faster
-2 day process that won't eat into your time
-You don't absolutely love, You don't pay, Period.

Would people want an accountant or graphic designer remodeling their kitchen?

Also, look into HTML formatting for you CL post so it's easier to skim.

Keep at it btw, you're headed in the right direction!

Midas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 10, 2016
First:
Read posts by AndrewNC on upgrading your thinking process. 80% will get you by...100% and you'll make a killing.
Read posts by SinisterLex and get an idea of copywriting.

Would people want an accountant or graphic designer remodeling their kitchen?

Also, look into HTML formatting for you CL post so it's easier to skim.

Keep at it btw, you're headed in the right direction!
You are right. "Accountant" adds zero value to my post so I removed it. I changed graphic designer to creative designer because the art is a huge part of the process. I'm looking for Andrews posts now. So much to learn. Much appreciated.

jesset17

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 23, 2016
Boise, ID
I agree with @ApparentHorizon to improve your copywriting skills add some formatting to your CL post. Bold <b> </b> and Big <big> </big> can really help emphasize your key points. Also double check for grammar/spelling.
***Sell your house faster

Lastly, I would like to see a better before and after. Show how ugly an old laminate countertop can be and how it can be transformed to look and perform like a beautiful high-end stone countertop.

Your work looks really good. I messed around with redoing an old countertop similar to what you are doing but with far worse results. Probably something I would do to some of my countertops if I was in Little Rock. Keep up the good work, go make a sale!

Midas

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 10, 2016
I agree with @ApparentHorizon to improve your copywriting skills add some formatting to your CL post. Bold <b> </b> and Big <big> </big> can really help emphasize your key points. Also double check for grammar/spelling.
***Sell your house faster

Lastly, I would like to see a better before and after. Show how ugly an old laminate countertop can be and how it can be transformed to look and perform like a beautiful high-end stone countertop.

Your work looks really good. I messed around with redoing an old countertop similar to what you are doing but with far worse results. Probably something I would do to some of my countertops if I was in Little Rock. Keep up the good work, go make a sale!
A dabbled in html back in the day it just didn't dawn of me to use it. Made the changes thanks to you and @ApparentHorizon. I didn't even know what copywriting was two weeks ago so I definitely have a lot to learn. Thank you for the feedback!

PurpleMonkey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Aug 17, 2016
As a thought, why don't you reach out to someone in your network who you believe would need your service. Do you have any friends or family members that rent out homes or are renovating (now or soon)?

You could ask them to cover your costs in materials and if they are satisfied they could be a reference for a service you launch. If your pleased with how it went and your confident in ability to deliver the service then you can start ramping up marketing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.