The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you can scale this, you can rule the world.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
A few years ago in college, I had a friend named M. He was hardworking, intelligent, and all around a great guy. But he was one of the stupidest smart people I know. He'd be the one who's always doing stupid things and would always make you laugh because of his actions. For all intents and purposes, he was the "fool" of the group. But the thing about M is that he's a lot more intelligent than he seems. People that don't know him would laugh, but he's probably one of the smartest people I know.

One day, he started to give people points. There were no tangible tokens he'd hand out. He'd just provide verbal statements.

If you did something good, he'd say "Oh, you just earned 100 points" or "1,000 points for you".
If you did something bad, he'd say "I'm taking 500 points" or "You just lost 1,000,000 points".

At first, no one cared and laughed it off. He would throw in random comments like "Hey B, A has more points than you now". And we'd laugh and tease B about it, but it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

After about 1 week, something interesting happened. The points started to actually have some sort of psychological effect on the group. You'd see people trying to please M to gain more points, or rat out others to gain an edge in points. It would actually shape the behaviors of some people (in a competitive way).

What makes it really crazy is that the points had no real-world value. They were just made up numbers given by a random person to random people. He would hand out millions of points to a person one day, while he'd hand out no more than 10 the next. It was VERY subjective.

So, you saw college students trying to please M over literally nothing.

All the while this was going on, M would laugh. Everyone playing knew it didn't exist, but they couldn't help themselves as they wanted to be #1.

What made it even better was that people outside of the game wanted in. They'd ask him to let them into the exclusive game. Sometimes he'd let more people in for free, while other times he'd give them a task like "Buy me food and I'll let you in with a starting point total of 5,000,000".

This started within a group of 5 people, but after a month had grown to about 40-50 people.

What can you take away from this? Well, if you want to rule the world, figure out how to scale this. And if you succeed, congratulations and remember who gave you the idea in the first place when you're handing out arbitrary points and titles.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BOTL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 15, 2014
Now THAT is a good one!

Might apply it in person first...

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Sounds like Nectar Points have already done it. www.nectar.com

You need loads of points to be of any real use but people will change their buying habits just because store A doesn't provide Nectar Points but store B does. There is no rational to it. They end up paying more for the same item in B than store A and the benefit of the Nectar Points doesn't cover anywhere near the price difference. They are suckered into collecting points for points sake.

So many people in this world never think things through it is unreal.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
You just described every video game and achievement system ever. :)

(In other words, loads of people have scaled this and are billionaires. They're game studios and developers.)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
You just described every video game and achievement system ever.

Yes after my post I thought of everything from Space Invaders in the 70's to Candy Crush today.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
I'm going to start giving out points in my slow lane and see how my co-workers react. This idea is hilarious

funkj25

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 5, 2011
But @jon.a I only know my real world value in relation to others based on my rep bank. I can clearly see you are 10x as valuable as me. (Which might actually be true). This point system helps me keep track of my reality and my self worth. I don't know what I'd do without it.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
ahh yes, I do my to do lists with points.

For example, when I go to gym or have a work out, I will get +5 strength points.
I think it has somekind of boost, but I haven't actually counted my points, neither I haven't given any rewards from it. :D

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
This is what every social media network is today.
The Likes, and the double taps, and retweets. Hell, even this forum.
People want to feel accepted, or show some physical proof to show that someone is paying attention to them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.