The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If I come up with an idea that will create a new stream of income for a company I work for, who owns the idea?

Idea threads

HoustonRealtor

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Feb 2, 2021
Houston, Texas
If I come up with a business idea, and the company I work for is in the same industry, is it "mine" or the "company's" intellectual property?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
If I come up with a business idea, and the company I work for is in the same industry, is it "mine" or the "company's" intellectual property?
Talk to your attorney. It should be based upon State law and your contractual arrangement with your company. Your handle as "HoustonRealtor" hints that you are an independent contractor -- which may be your way out. You must also ask yourself how aggressive your boss and your company are at enforcing any right they have. Your attorney can advise you on moving forward. Have you thought about a joint venture with your company? That's another possibility. If it is RE related, I'm not sure that there's much left that hasn't been tried in the past...

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
What kind of contract do you have with the company? Does it say something about intellectual property?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Felix Dennis talked about this in his book, the company will own the idea, not you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Felix Dennis talked about this in his book, the company will own the idea, not you
That's most common - basically if you have idea even when you got it "after hours" its still company's.

But maybe there are some local laws in Houston that regulate that as @WJK said.

If you already work for them and already have that idea then try to talk to boss -
they own the idea so all you can do is to get involved in executing it and ask for a share of additional profits based on friendly agreement.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.