The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

if a book publisher is dissolved and the author is dead, can I digitize the book and sell it?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
So this company has been dissolved

There's one particular rare book they published decades ago, the author has since died, and the book is out of print as far as i know for decades.
i wanna buy it and make an ebook out of it.

Is it legal to sell the ebook?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
This isn't about the Hong Kong government but about the legitimate owner of the copyrights. They probably now belong to the author's family and it's their asset. By selling this book without their permission, obscure or not, you'd be essentially stealing from them.

Your question was if it's legal to sell it. No, it's not.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
This isn't about the Hong Kong government but about the legitimate owner of the copyrights. They probably now belong to the author's family and it's their asset. By selling this book without their permission, obscure or not, you'd be essentially stealing from them.

Your question was if it's legal to sell it. No, it's not.

The author died without children or family, the publisher is long defunct.
Perhaps this is a victimless crime lol

Maybe i could do a kind of small hustle, buy the book, create ebook out of it, and peddle it for 10 bucks on relevant forums or something. Of course someone can end up releasing it online for free and the jig's up.
but i dont care.

its a super expensive rare book that costs hundreds of dollars online, i think lots of people would love to get a chance to read it.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Someone still owns the copyrights. If there are no surviving relatives, then it probably passed to the government. If anyone finds out you published it without their permission, they can sue you. It's not a question of whether they care. They're legal owners and only they have the rights to distribute it (or not).

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019

There's one particular rare book they published decades ago, the author has since died, and the book is out of print as far as i know for decades.

Is the book "the craft of power" by any chance?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
If it's not in the public domain, then don't do it. You may not be aware of any heirs, but that doesn't mean there aren't any, even if Wikipedia says so. There could be an unknown or unacknowledged heir, in which case it is theirs, not yours.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

If you could do it, then anyone else could do it?

Someone can just upload for free with no consequences if no ones owns it.

Smivs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Nov 2, 2019
Personally, I wouldn't do it. It seems like a bad decision that could catch up with you later on down the road. If that's something that you can be ok with then that has to be your own decision.

Good luck either way.

Lucky Lu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Nov 2, 2019
Newport Beach, California
Every country has different lenght periods for proprietary rights. After that stipulated period usually and in most jurisdictions the work becomes public domain for the benefit of the society all. Make sure that is the case and the period expired and you are good to go. Otherwise the righs are owned by someone or in many countries if there are no heirs or next of kin, the rights belong to the governement (state or nation domain depending on the country) and some times they enforce them.
Get advise on the law in Hong Kong before proceeding.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.