The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Idea for a tourism/retreat business (does not exist but I'd be a customer if it did)

Idea threads

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
I've written the below in a way that sounds like an advert because the idea is best explained like that. I want to reiterate, as far as I'm aware, this does not exist. I came up with the idea after a meditation retreat that I thought would have been a better experience had they included some other elements. That's not the point of what they were doing there but it got me thinking and that led to this.

I would absolutely love to hear your thoughts on it all. Thanks!!!

Transformational Trekking: A Journey on Philosophy, Travel, Nature, and Self-Discovery.
Embark on a journey where the ordinary concept of travel transcends into a profound experience. Led by expert guides, these intimate group retreats take you to stunning mountainous landscapes, offering not just a physical adventure but a deeply transformative process.

What Sets Us Apart:

Holistic Retreats: Our multi-day hikes blend adventure, cultural immersion, and luxury indulgence. Picture challenging mountain hikes complemented by guided meditation, gourmet cuisine, steam and cold water immersion therapy. The contrast of physical and mental challenges against wellness and spiritual practice creates a balance that is both intensely difficult, rejuvenating, and rewarding.

Exclusive Cultural Insights: Immerse yourself in local culture and gain a genuine sense of place with fireside talks by significant local figures; think local Michelin-starred chefs, Indigenous Community Leaders, Conservationists, Social Entrepreneurs, Local Authors, Poets, and Craftspeople. Gain privileged access to wisdom and perspectives not easily found on regular tourist paths.

Extreme Challenge: Timed hiking sections and orienteering challenges, guided by former special forces operatives, push you physically and mentally beyond your comfort zone. Overcoming these challenges leads to a heightened sense of accomplishment, confidence, and personal growth.

Small Group Size: Keep it intimate and personalized. Our small group sizes ensure every retreat is tailored to participants, fostering a strong sense of camaraderie and shared accomplishment, and mutual experience.

Spiritual Wellness: Balance the extreme with moments of introspection through guided meditation, breath-work, and yoga. The retreat is a holistic journey that challenges and enriches every facet of your being. Our journeys offers an opportunity for self-transformation through a disconnect from the everyday and complete immersion in nature, culture and the self.

At Transformational Trekking, we're not just about reaching mountain peaks; we're about reaching new heights within yourself. Join us on a journey that's more than a trek—it's a philosophy, a transformation, and an exploration of your true potential.

------------------------------

Okay - the wording is a bit cheesy in parts but hopefully you get the general idea.

Thanks for reading :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Spiritual retreats are very common and you'll find lots of weirdos organizing them and even more weirdos joining them to "release their traumas" and achieve wholeness or whatever. You need to be a guru, hire one, or be fine selling desperate people BS. 99% of spirituality is pseudoscience and deceit.

Extreme challenges are also a thing. SEALFIT organizes Kokoro: SEALFIT Kokoro - Navy SEAL 50-Hour Crucible | SEALFIT There's probably plenty more. You'd need to hire tough motherfuckers to run it or it won't make sense, though.

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
Spiritual retreats are very common and you'll find lots of weirdos organizing them and even more weirdos joining them to "release their traumas" and achieve wholeness or whatever. You need to be a guru, hire one, or be fine selling desperate people BS. 99% of spirituality is pseudoscience and deceit.

Extreme challenges are also a thing. SEALFIT organizes Kokoro: SEALFIT Kokoro - Navy SEAL 50-Hour Crucible | SEALFIT There's probably plenty more. You'd need to hire tough motherfuckers to run it or it won't make sense, though.
It's not a spirituality retreat, it's like 80% mountain hiking in say the Alps, Patagonia, or the Himalayas, coupled with guided meditations, cold water therapy, breathwork, and talks from people who understand the place deeply and have a unique perspective on it. The aim is to push people physically and mentally in a way that is appropriate and creates a lasting impact on their sense of confidence and ability while giving them a week of incredible active luxury travel.

In essence, it's a tour operator, offering posh fancy things alongside trekking.

Last edited:

smackenzie

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 10, 2012
Sydney Australia
Transformational Trekking: A Journey on Philosophy, Travel, Nature, and Self-Discovery.
Embark on a journey where the ordinary concept of travel transcends into a profound experience. Led by expert guides, these intimate group retreats take you to stunning mountainous landscapes, offering not just a physical adventure but a deeply transformative process.
I'd go. I'm moving toward working on myself and love to go for a long walk any time I can.
I like the idea of including some cultural and inner health aspects with the trekking. I'm not too crash hot on trying to do timed legs etc. I feel like I could gain more with distance rather than speed or exertion.
I feel like it would need to be somewhere pretty special to entice people to attend though. It couldn't be any random country track.

Do you have any particular person in mind beside yourself that this should appeal to?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It's not a spirituality retreat, it's like 80% mountain hiking in say the Alps, Patagonia, or the Himalayas, coupled with guided meditations, cold water therapy, breathwork, and talks from people who understand the place deeply and have a unique perspective on it. The aim is to push people physically and mentally in a way that is appropriate and creates a lasting impact on their sense of confidence and ability while giving them a week of incredible active luxury travel.

In essence, it's a tour operator, offering posh fancy things alongside trekking.

It could work though it's an extremely complicated business:
  • You need to find very qualified guides who will ensure safety.
  • You need to get super comprehensive insurance if anything bad happens.
  • IF anything bad happens (common in such high mountains), you'll probably still lose your business due to loss of reputation.
  • Start-up costs would be ridiculously high considering all the gear you'd have to buy.
  • It may still not be that lucrative considering it's more of a passion kind of a business and industry where you can be easily beaten by established names.
Something similar to what you have in mind is Elite Exped | High-altitude adventures led from the front by ground-breaking mountaineers.

I would not start it if it were my first business.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Not even that, this is the kinda thing you start because you are that dude, you just can’t not start it, it’s in you. You don’t start a business like this because you think it’ll be a good way to make money.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Not even that, this is the kinda thing you start because you are that dude, you just can’t not start it, it’s in you. You don’t start a business like this because you think it’ll be a good way to make money.

I agree with you but I didn't want to be too discouraging considering I already shot down this idea quite aggressively:happy:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

I agree with you but I didn't want to be too discouraging considering I already shot down this idea quite aggressively:happy:
In your defence the original way it was explained didn’t sound appealing, but this post did, I would do the thing described in the this post, I’m sure you would too

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
I'd go. I'm moving toward working on myself and love to go for a long walk any time I can.
I like the idea of including some cultural and inner health aspects with the trekking. I'm not too crash hot on trying to do timed legs etc. I feel like I could gain more with distance rather than speed or exertion.
I feel like it would need to be somewhere pretty special to entice people to attend though. It couldn't be any random country track.

Do you have any particular person in mind beside yourself that this should appeal to?
Yeah I'd say as a short hand, there would be a significant overlap between my ideal customer and the listeners of podcasts such as Chris Williamson. Some points that define them.

• Adventurous - People who enjoy active vacations, pushing their limits, and embracing new challenges.
  • Culturally Curious - Guests who appreciate immersing themselves in local cultures, foods, and having meaningful interactions with communities. The INSIDERS lectures and heritage tours will appeal to them.
  • Mindful travelers - Those looking for transformative travel experiences that provide mental clarity, self-reflection and a chance to reconnect with nature.
  • Socially Conscious - Environmentally aware travelers who care about sustainability, supporting local economies, and making responsible tourism choices.
  • Luxury buyers - Affluent guests who value expert service, upscale accommodations, and exclusive experiences.
  • Bucket Listers - People who want to make the most of their leisure time and have meaningful adventures.
  • Personal Growth Focused - Guests viewing travel as an opportunity for self-improvement, discovery and gaining new perspectives.

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
It could work though it's an extremely complicated business:
  • You need to find very qualified guides who will ensure safety.
  • You need to get super comprehensive insurance if anything bad happens.
  • IF anything bad happens (common in such high mountains), you'll probably still lose your business due to loss of reputation.
  • Start-up costs would be ridiculously high considering all the gear you'd have to buy.
  • It may still not be that lucrative considering it's more of a passion kind of a business and industry where you can be easily beaten by established names.
Something similar to what you have in mind is Elite Exped | High-altitude adventures led from the front by ground-breaking mountaineers.

Fair enough man, I appreciate the feedback. Just a couple of points on things you raised. I am myself already a qualified mountain leader (summer) and starting the International mountain leader award this year so I'd be leading the hikes to start off.

You're right, it is much more an idea born from passion. It's not really about maximising output and profit so much as it's something I think would be deeply rewarding to do, and I believe there would be a market willing to pay for experiences like this as really it's just a combination of things people already enjoy and pay money for. It's a Venn diagram for a number of experiences and a service offering designed around the intersection.

It might be complex and involve many moving parts but tour operators aren't a new thing. There are established business models in the tourism industry so it's not like I'd be reinventing the wheel. The nuts and bolts of the business would the same as any other mountain tour operator, but it would offer something that I have not been able to find.

I'm thankful for your input though even if it's not your cup tea :)

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
You are correct.

terrordread

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 26, 2020
In your defence the original way it was explained didn’t sound appealing, but this post did, I would do the thing described in the this post, I’m sure you would too
That's interesting as in my mind it sounded like the same thing. What about the original post wasn't appealing to you but was omitted or included in the later comment that then changed your opinion?

DonyaSze

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 17, 2024
I've written the below in a way that sounds like an advert because the idea is best explained like that. I want to reiterate, as far as I'm aware, this does not exist. I came up with the idea after a meditation retreat that I thought would have been a better experience had they included some other elements. That's not the point of what they were doing there but it got me thinking and that led to this.

I would absolutely love to hear your thoughts on it all. Thanks!!!

What Sets Us Apart:

Holistic Retreats: Our multi-day hikes blend adventure, cultural immersion, and luxury indulgence. Picture challenging mountain hikes complemented by guided meditation, gourmet cuisine, steam and cold water immersion therapy. The contrast of physical and mental challenges against wellness and spiritual practice creates a balance that is both intensely difficult, rejuvenating, and rewarding.

Exclusive Cultural Insights: Immerse yourself in local culture and gain a genuine sense of place with fireside talks by significant local figures; think local Michelin-starred chefs, Indigenous Community Leaders, Conservationists, Social Entrepreneurs, Local Authors, Poets, and Craftspeople. Gain privileged access to wisdom and perspectives not easily found on regular tourist paths.

Extreme Challenge: Timed hiking sections and orienteering challenges, guided by former special forces operatives, push you physically and mentally beyond your comfort zone. Overcoming these challenges leads to a heightened sense of accomplishment, confidence, and personal growth.

Small Group Size: Keep it intimate and personalized. Our small group sizes ensure every retreat is tailored to participants, fostering a strong sense of camaraderie and shared accomplishment, and mutual experience.

Spiritual Wellness: Balance the extreme with moments of introspection through guided meditation, breath-work, and yoga. The retreat is a holistic journey that challenges and enriches every facet of your being. Our journeys offers an opportunity for self-transformation through a disconnect from the everyday and complete immersion in nature, culture and the self.

At Transformational Trekking, we're not just about reaching mountain peaks; we're about reaching new heights within yourself. Join us on a journey that's more than a trek—it's a philosophy, a transformation, and an exploration of your true potential.

------------------------------

Okay - the wording is a bit cheesy in parts but hopefully you get the general idea.

Thanks for reading :)
I think it sounds awesome!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
You're right, it is much more an idea born from passion. It's not really about maximising output and profit so much as it's something I think would be deeply rewarding to do, and I believe there would be a market willing to pay for experiences like this as really it's just a combination of things people already enjoy and pay money for. It's a Venn diagram for a number of experiences and a service offering designed around the intersection.

And would you be okay if this wouldn't make you wealthy?

You need to be very clear about ideas like that because it's very easy to kill your passion by trying to monetize it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

@biophase - doesn't your brother do something like this, or is it simply a tour?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase - doesn't your brother do something like this, or is it simply a tour?
His is just a guided trek. I think if the OP wanted to do something like this it would be outsourced in separate packages.

For example, you hire an outfitter for the trek portion. But you add a day before and a day after at a nice resort. You bring in a yoga instructor and xxx guide for the day before and another spiritual xxxx for the day after.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.