The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I would like some advice on inventory management

Feedback

freek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
I have a question for people who do e-commerce or another form of mainly selling products. How do you deal with inventory management? I was re-doing my books for this year and it took a lot of time, this is how i do it in FIFO (first in first out)

I am using a online bookkeeping program whenever i buy stock i add the bought inventory to the invoice like this: 1706478126566.png

Then at the end of the month i get an invoice from my platform and add the sold products to the invoice:

1706478203642.png
How i calculate COGS:

Count inventory at the last day of the month and compare the difference with last month - newly bought stock.

Use First in first out to acurately calculate the total cost of inventory sold. The red stripes are the productnames. The x means the batch sold out.
1706478388511.png

The calculation is automated in excel, this is a small part but you get the idear:
1706478518851.png

Then at the end of the month the bookkeeping program actualizes the inventory.

It works but i feel like there must be an easier way to do this. Can anyone recommend me a good software or a different way to do all this. Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Look up OMS or order management system. They will do this automatically, handle purchase orders, etc. one such example is Cin7.

Many people also use QBO (quickbooks online) as that's the standard for accounting. It definitely supports FIFO costing however I find it's inventory management is half baked.

If you are doing good volume and definitely if you sell cross channel (ie Shopify and Amazon) you likely want a dedicated OMS. Most OMS will integrate with QBO.

freek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
Look up OMS or order management system. They will do this automatically, handle purchase orders, etc. one such example is Cin7.

Many people also use QBO (quickbooks online) as that's the standard for accounting. It definitely supports FIFO costing however I find it's inventory management is half baked.

If you are doing good volume and definitely if you sell cross channel (ie Shopify and Amazon) you likely want a dedicated OMS. Most OMS will integrate with QBO.
Great advice, thanks! I'm going to look into this as i slowly am starting to sell cross channel more and more. I'm going to try out shopify's system first

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.