The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I would appreciate help on this...

Nate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 24, 2007
Utah
I hope this is the correct place for this.

I am working on a little idea, and I do mean little. This will be something I will promote to a smaller demographic; people in my county and a few surrounding areas. So it is NOT something that can go nationwide.

That being the case, I have bought the domain and will get the website ready, but I feel like non-internet advertising is going to be a must, with just a little bit done online.

My ideas are:
  • Some ad-words
  • A mailer (snail-mail) to the correct demographics
  • Flyers
  • Ads in newspapers and appropriate local magazines
  • Craigslist
  • Ebay
  • A local Craigslist type thing that seems to be used here more than CL
The product will need to be mailed and I hope to be able to take orders just on the internet. (Getting a real merchant acct. seems to be out of my reach now, I wonder if I'll be able to do this with just Paypal and something like 2CO for the time being???)

Anyways, I hope that is at least enough information to get some help from some people.

• How can I best test this to see if there is even a market before going gung-ho?
  • Are there other advertising avenues or ones on my list that should not be done?
  • What about the idea of advertising on Craigslist/ebay/CL substitute, prematurely with the intent of checking interest and capturing email address?
  • Would a small adwords campaign also accomplish the same thing?
I would appreciate any feedback from you marketers out there. I know I have to go be missing a lot. Thanks.
-Nate

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 24, 2007
Utah
JScott, thanks for the reply.

Do you think that adwords would work if it was targeted towards local people? I noticed some very local terms that get a small amount of searches according to the overture tool (anywhere from 50-400 per month). I would imagine that these kind of clicks would be pretty cheap, and anyone searching the terms I checked would be probably be interested. But still like you say, it might be a waste of money.

In regards to asking people... do you think there is a way to be able to ask people besides in person? Some way I can ask hundreds/thousands? What do you think about putting up an ad on CL or in papers that would attract attention? If anything people sending emails saying they would like more interest??? Would that be a good indication of whether or not people will buy? How many responses should I expect to get if this is worth doing? I expect a cost to me of somewhere around $5-10 per product, and think it can be sold for somewhere around $30-50... really hoping for the 50. I heard that less than $50 and people start to think it doesn't really have value... although that probably really depends on product/industry.

Any more responses from JScott or anyone are much appreciated. Thanks guys, what a jewel of a forum.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Spend $50 for a spot a local flea market and craft fair -- place your product there and get feedback. Or, approach someone with a booth and offer them a flat fee or commission to place your product.

Sounds like you're still in market research mode vs start-up mode.

Nate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 24, 2007
Utah
Thanks for that. Fantastic points. I probably should have remembered that. I studied sociology in college, and that is a lot of surveys. Sociologists typically think that a random survey of about 3,000 random people will give you a good idea of the entire country.

Tim Ferriss says in his new book that people will usually tell you that, yes, they would buy your product, because nobody wants to be mean. Do you think that is true?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.