The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I went to CityData asking for advice on places to live in AZ, you won't believe what happened next!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
(Practicing my Facebook clickbait title writing :p)

But anyway I wanted them to maybe help me out with where would be good to find an apartment in Scottsdale/Phoenix and how I could work out finding a job temporarily etc.

Welll....typical slowlane/sidewalkian stuff getting thrown at me, it's entertaining lol have a look [emoji23]

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/2409782-22-yo-male-looking-move-scottsdale.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
(Practicing my Facebook clickbait title writing :p)

But anyway I wanted them to maybe help me out with where would be good to find an apartment in Scottsdale/Phoenix and how I could work out finding a job temporarily etc.

Welll....typical slowlane/sidewalkian stuff getting thrown at me, it's entertaining lol have a look [emoji23]

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/2409782-22-yo-male-looking-move-scottsdale.html

Were you trolling them or was your post serious?

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I guess maybe I should've somewhat expected the response but it just surprised me. I dont care either way, doesnt deter me one bit I just found it rather entertaining

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
LOL, love the typical slowlane talk in that thread.

I too am looking to move to Scottsdale AZ in the spring...Although my situation is slightly different...

From my research there seems to be plenty of sub $1000 a month rent in Scottsdale. Plenty even in the $800-850 range.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
What did you expect them to tell you?

Hell, their advice isn't too far off mine.

You don't mention any degree or skills, you're unable to convince someone to hire you.

You don't mention a plan or give any indication that you have any idea on how how you can offer value to a landlord, an employer, potential clients or potential customers.

What exactly is your plan aside from drive to Scottsdale?

Last edited:

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Well, you're right, I didnt lay out a solid plan. I need to develop a few more valuable skills before I can go. Otherwise I'll probably be a fish out of water.

I have little value to offer at the moment.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Well, you're right, I didnt lay out a solid plan. I need to develop a few more valuable skills before I can go. Otherwise I'll probably be a fish out of water.

I have little value to offer at the moment.

Note to self: buy a 7-11 in Scottsdale.

S
eems to be a lot of folks with no money moving there.

Like California in the 80's..."Where are we going?.. California...what are we gonna do there? don't know - we'll figure it when we get there."

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
Since you can do any type of work offer your skills in an ad on Craiglist that would pay your rent for a short period of time. Once you get that done 1. You have your physical address. 2. Who knows he might even offer your more work and/or talk to his friends about you that could get you some other job too. When I came to Canada that's how most immigrants were doing since we had no credit history at all.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
648%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Note to self: buy a 7-11 in Scottsdale.

S
eems to be a lot of folks with no money moving there.

Like California in the 80's..."Where are we going?.. California...what are we gonna do there? don't know - we'll figure it when we get there."

Are people actually moving to Scottsdale, or is it just this forum? My assumption was that it's this forum.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Are people actually moving to Scottsdale, or is it just this forum? My assumption was that it's this forum.
I'm pretty sure it's just this forum.

There is a decent entrepreneur scene out there, but it's not like San Fran or San Diego from what I can tell. But I also never lived there.

The big entrepreneur cities where people are flocking, imho, are:
  • San Fran (for tech)
  • Seattle (for tech)
  • Austin (for tech and food)
  • Brooklyn (for tech and food)
  • Boston (for medical tech/med device)
IMHO Scottsdale is more of a place with a lot ton of rich people, but not necessarily high growth entrepreneurs.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
I'm skilled in almost all of Adobe's suite. I can write copy, I've spent the last 6 months teaching myself that. I'm no master copywriter but I've been doing side work on Upwork, just not SinisterLex type income yet. I can also design websites and I'm real good with Wordpress. I can also setup ecommerce stores on Shopify and Magento and I've experimented with BigCommerce.

I can operate a forklift, not that that matters lol.

Last edited:

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
I'm skilled in almost all of Adobe's suite. I can write copy, I've spent the last 6 months teaching myself that. I'm no master copywriter but I've been doing side work on Upwork, just not SinisterLex type income yet. I can also design websites and I'm real good with Wordpress. I can also setup ecommerce stores on Shopify and Magento and I've experimented with BigCommerce.

Oh, you didn't mention all your e-commerce skills.

Why would you care what a bunch of tools on Cityfeet think.

If you're willing to become an expert in excel and bang out 75-100 calls a day (sales) you won't be sleeping in your car for long.

You're probably right, but it sure is nice in winter.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
Oh, you didn't mention all your e-commerce skills.

Why would you care what a bunch of tools on Cityfeet think.

If you're willing to become an expert in excel and bang out 75-100 calls a day (sales) you won't be sleeping in your car for long.

You're probably right, but it sure is nice in winter.
I don't care what they think I just thought their responses were interesting.

Yes, I have extensive ecommerce experience and I've also worked in sales before, both for insurance and for electric and gas contracts. Averaged a 26% close rate on warm leads.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015

Well you have two options: get a job or sell.

It sounds like you have a lot of self-confidence - so your'e half way there.

Go get em!

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I thought that most of their advice was actually not bad. Keep in mind that none of them really know you, or understood from the beginning that you aren't interested in the college+job route. They took it pretty easy on you, IMO.

You did ask for ANY suggestions, after all :)

That said, good luck on your moving plans. As @MKHB said, you are half-way there.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
I thought that most of their advice was actually not bad. Keep in mind that none of them really know you, or understood from the beginning that you aren't interested in the college+job route. They took it pretty easy on you, IMO.

You did ask for ANY suggestions, after all :)

That said, good luck on your moving plans. As @MKHB said, you are half-way there.
^^^^^Wise Words! @mayana

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
I'm pretty sure it's just this forum.

There is a decent entrepreneur scene out there, but it's not like San Fran or San Diego from what I can tell. But I also never lived there.

The big entrepreneur cities where people are flocking, imho, are:
  • San Fran (for tech)
  • Seattle (for tech)
  • Austin (for tech and food)
  • Brooklyn (for tech and food)
  • Boston (for medical tech/med device)
IMHO Scottsdale is more of a place with a lot ton of rich people, but not necessarily high growth entrepreneurs.

I think MJ D should contact The Scottsdale Chamber and ask for a small promote $$ he seems to be responsible for a lot of the new pop growth.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
We are round pegs in a square holed world.

I run into problems all the time trying to get loans. It seems that the country runs on w2 income requirements.

These are problems that you will need to solve.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
We are round pegs in a square holed world.

I run into problems all the time trying to get loans. It seems that the country runs on w2 income requirements.

These are problems that you will need to solve.
BTW @stevo a little hijack here: Cushman came out with the new MF forecast for Scottsdale and it's scorching hot. mmm...development might be back.

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012
Serious...why?

That was my first thought to reading your City-data post. I wish you luck on your moving plans.

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser394

Look at it from their perspective.

Random guy with no money, no job, no degree, and bad credit wants to move to another state. Has zero prospects lined up. How would you respond?

You asked the same question before.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoenix-area/2173032-want-move-scottsdale-but.html

From July 2014 to July 2015 you were able to save zero dollars?

Why haven't you made this happen, or even at least put yourself closer to the goal, if that's what you want to do? (I don't care about the answer, it's for you to think about).

You had nearly 365 days to make your move since that last post. Had you saved as little as $10 per day, you'd have enough of a cushion for a few months rent and expenses saved up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have thus far proven yourself to be incapable of doing the bare minimum to get to where you want to be, so why should anyone put faith in your ability to follow through?

You wanted to move to California as well...

Why not just make it happen. Why not make your dreams reality.

I know I sound like a douche, but I've been exactly where you are, ie, talking through my a$$ and never making my 'move' happen. However recently I was put into a position where I was FORCED to make a change.. one that I've always wanted to do. So I moved, and my life changed instantly and improved dramatically. I'm never going back to where I was. I'm a new man with new motivation.

Just F*cking do it dude. If you aren't happy, put yourself into the best position possible to be happy. Life is too short for this shit.

Don't be that broke a$$ guy that starts a new CityData thread July 2016 asking how/where he should move in Scottsdale or where ever. Be that guy that comes back to the forum while posting from your apartment facing Camelback Mountain and come tell me to go F*ck myself.

I hope you actually make this happen. You totally can, but you got to get your shit together.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Guess it helps once in a while to be publicly debased and brought back down to earth. Thanks guys.

:)
One of the best quotes I have ever heard came from T. Ferris.

And even though I didn't totally get his book (I stopped reading 3/4 of the way through and went back to re-reading MFL)....

"you have to become comfortable with uncomfortable conversations."

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Go for it. The worst thing that could happen is you would have to get a shitty job for a while and find somewhere to live. Even that isn't that bad. I mean, it's not like you'll be dead or anything.
Don't be that broke a$$ guy that starts a new CityData thread July 2016 asking how/where he should move in Scottsdale or where ever. Be that guy that comes back to the forum while posting from your apartment facing Camelback Mountain and come tell me to go F*ck myself.
"What GrumpyCat said next left me SHOCKED!" lol, feeding the title of this thread a bit. That did genuinely make me L-O-L though.

In all seriousness though, OP, I say go for it man. It's clearly something you want to do, but there is also clearly a lot of fear and self-doubt still in your mind, thus causing you to seek validation. How do I know? I used to do it all the time. I catch myself still sometimes doing it and have to smack myself a bit.

Let me know how it is when you get there, I'll be joining you in the near future.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Guess it helps once in a while to be publicly debased and brought back down to earth. Thanks guys.

:)
It's only debasing if you do nothing about it.

None of us have said you couldn't. We just have said you aren't.

Doing is a choice. Make it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.