The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to sell my ed tech startup for 25,000$.

gaandu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jan 1, 2022
I have so far only built the concept. I haven't created anything. IWTL, if I want to sell it for 25000$ what parameters should I be satisfying? Like revenue per month, etc and stuffs like that? I got no idea about that. What should I look for? Valuation? Or what?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Welcome to the forum gaandu, interesting first post.
I'm intrigued by the figure of 25000$ for something that hasn't been created yet, how did you arrive at this figure, was it just plucked out of the air as the amount you want? To sell your product it needs to be worth at least that amount, if not more, to the buyer. I recommend you create your concept now, sooner than later, start marketing it, receive income, develop it and then see how much value it is. It may turn out the concept is worth far more than 25000$.

gaandu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jan 1, 2022
Welcome to the forum gaandu, interesting first post.
I'm intrigued by the figure of 25000$ for something that hasn't been created yet, how did you arrive at this figure, was it just plucked out of the air as the amount you want? To sell your product it needs to be worth at least that amount, if not more, to the buyer. I recommend you create your concept now, sooner than later, start marketing it, receive income, develop it and then see how much value it is. It may turn out the concept is worth far more than 25000$.
It was pretty much plucked out of thin air. It is the money that I need to make to pay my student loans. So was thinking what criteria I need to fit in to sell the startup for that much. So I need to search about "company valuation"? It is going to be pretty niched market. I am from India and I would be really happy even if it makes 1000$ while selling as that's a lot of money here. but the time and effort should be worth it which won't' be if it sells for 1000$ as I need to hire latex writer and professional content creator as well as a professional programmer(which I might do myself after few years of industry experience though).
I want to know how to reach the valuation of my company to 25K...I would like to take them as goals and work to fulfill the goals. Any help will be appreciated.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 11, 2019
It sounds like you're planning to sell an idea which just like an a*hole everyone has. I don't mean that in a discouraging way, just being objective. An idea is worth nothing unless it has traction/ proven demand. There are thousands of business ideas posted daily, there are even threads on this forum dedicated to sharing business ideas, and they're free.

To sell it, it should be functional, ideally, performing.

Functional, - you have a platform that has the educational content created and uploaded, all the registration and billing features work. The buyer now needs to market it (the hardest part). This mainly requires your time and skills, and could be sold but not for much.

Performing, - you have everything I just mentioned, plus you also have users/students paying for access to your educational platform. This requires capital (fueling the marketing campaigns).

The best way to get started is to create an MVP. Don't hire a developer just yet. Create an ebook about a topic that would be covered on your platform and see if anyone gives you their email to get the book. You will get feedback about the value of your education materials, and build the foundation for an email list that will support marketing activities.

gaandu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jan 1, 2022
It sounds like you're planning to sell an idea which just like an a*hole everyone has. I don't mean that in a discouraging way, just being objective. An idea is worth nothing unless it has traction/ proven demand. There are thousands of business ideas posted daily, there are even threads on this forum dedicated to sharing business ideas, and they're free.
No I am not planning to sell idea. I am going to create it. My objective is to know it beforehand, how much worth it will be before making sth. For example in my startup. the cost of using the app will be 2.99$. the customerbase is pretty niched for first few years till I grow enough. It won't be more than 2000 people per year. I might get small percentage of it.. Say at most 200.
Then later I will expand it internationally. First to India.
Then internationally.
finally after 5 years of teaching experience, I will start an udemy course.
To sell it, it should be functional, ideally, performing.

Functional, - you have a platform that has the educational content created and uploaded, all the registration and billing features work. The buyer now needs to market it (the hardest part). This mainly requires your time and skills, and could be sold but not for much.

Performing, - you have everything I just mentioned, plus you also have users/students paying for access to your educational platform. This requires capital (fueling the marketing campaigns).

The best way to get started is to create an MVP. Don't hire a developer just yet. Create an ebook about a topic that would be covered on your platform and see if anyone gives you their email to get the book. You will get feedback about the value of your education materials, and build the foundation for an email list that will support marketing activities.

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Oct 5, 2018
No I am not planning to sell idea. I am going to create it. My objective is to know it beforehand, how much worth it will be before making sth. For example in my startup. the cost of using the app will be 2.99$. the customerbase is pretty niched for first few years till I grow enough. It won't be more than 2000 people per year. I might get small percentage of it.. Say at most 200.
Then later I will expand it internationally. First to India.
Then internationally.
finally after 5 years of teaching experience, I will start an udemy course.

How can you know how the market is going to change, what your customer's will do (or how they'll value your offer), what additional upsells you'll figure out, how your competition will react, if any wars break out etc? You can't.

Aside from macro speculation (which won't give you any value anyways) you can't know anything beforehand.

@Devilery 's point was - first make something to test how the audience responds and then start gauging how much you can charge - then from that you can extrapolate what the company could be worth.

Any speculation before you've even sold a single unit of your product is mental masturbation. You're putting a cart before the horse. At this point you're like a dude without an a$$*ole trying to figure out how to sell your dump as a manure to the industrial farming complex. At least pierce a hole first, brother!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.