The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to license my product, but I would like to protect it

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
So I have a great idea for a new container of a current product. The problem is I can't get a provional patent for a design so how do i go about protecting it? I have looked at one of the companies that I would pitch the idea to and they have some jargan about how I can pitch the idea and they may already be working on the same idea and I am SOL. Is there a way to protect myself? Do I just try adn get them to sign something before we talk about it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Curious, how did your grill handles do?
Hi Michael,

My grill handles did ok. I still have a full time job, but I was able to get them into about 45 stores nation wide and I even sold a bunch to a charcoal company last season to use as give a ways.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
I have looked at one of the companies that I would pitch the idea to and they have some jargan about how I can pitch the idea and they may already be working on the same idea and I am SOL.
if you read Stephen's book - reread it. He's pretty clear that companies don't rip you off - it's just not worth it. Of course they say they may be working on the idea - because it's true!

But - you have two choices: keep it a secret or take the business risk of getting it in front of a company. It's not going to do you any good in your drawer.

Remember Stephen's first product - the Michael Jordan wall ball? No patent on that one.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
I plan on presenting it once I have a proto built. I will be opening up to some big companies and that is my worry. My idea is a new way to serve a food item and I am also concerned that if I protect my design which comes in a round tube that the company I am presenting to will pass and then do the same idea but in a square tube, could that even happen? You are right, keeping the idea to myself is pointless.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
the company I am presenting to will pass and then do the same idea but in a square tube
so, the scenario is - "hey, great idea! instead of paying this guy $0.04 per container, we'll just go around his neat idea and make it a bit different"

No way! It's so not worth it to them - to chance having the internet plastered with copies of your email to them and pictures comparing and all the bad PR... The last thing a big company wants is to feed the "Goliath beats up David" image.

If it was me, I'd document what you've done, keep copies of mails, etc. - but - life's too short. You'll have other better ideas if this one doesn't work out.

Papillon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Sep 10, 2013
Île Saint-Joseph French Guiana ~ UK!
Take pictures of your product, ad a brief description and load it onto a CD and copyright it.

What I did recently for a project was: 'a poor mans copyright' which IS legal in the UK, according to the UK governments website.

For some reason it's NOT legal in the USA, however its not that expensive to get done.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_man's_copyright

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.