The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to install network monitoring software

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Darren1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 13, 2014
Hey everyone, quick question.

I am currently wanting to install network monitoring software on the employee computers. I found that time wasting has become a serious issue and one that needs to be addressed as quickly as possible. I do not want to prevent people from having fun, but at the same time, we are running a business. I am considering one product, but I want to get more information.

For those of you that have experience introducing network monitoring software, how did you do it? Did you announce it to your employees beforehand or did you just decide to go for it altogether? I would like to know what the forum thinks might be the best possible suggestion.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
I'd just use something like PRTG Network Monitor and announce "We are monitoring internet usage. No private browsing outside of breaks."

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Any chance you can set goals or requirements to meet instead of this?

You'll end up wasting time stressing over every website they visit and / or they'll get upset that you're monitoring them. If anything..you may just want to block facebook / youtube or other time wasters during certain or all times?

Just my opinion as a former Network Admin that was forced to piss a lot of people off.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Any chance you can set goals or requirements to meet instead of this?

You'll end up wasting time stressing over every website they visit and / or they'll get upset that you're monitoring them. If anything..you may just want to block facebook / youtube or other time wasters during certain or all times?

Just my opinion as a former Network Admin that was forced to piss a lot of people off.

I agree with jake. I deal with this daily, and the biggest problems are always a few sites. I'd add farmville to the list of blocked sites. Most of your employees will just end up using their smart phone when you aren't looking though. PFSense is a free linux server software that can do this for you, but it involves some education.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nate-NewVenture

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 31, 2014
Lomita, CA
If you add a layer seven tool to the mix, you risk layer seven issues (updates, crashes, hacks, bypasses, etc.). Of course if you're already using AV software at layer 7, they may have additional services to monitor/block web usage.

What we used to monitor usage was Solarwinds. Of course that is an expensive tool.

Another option is to monitor at layer 3. To do this you'll have to reorganize your network but if you're spending a lot using Cisco or Juniper, Watchguard is a very budget friendly router and for the non-network eng., it is easier to manage.

Just my 2 cents,
Nate-NewVenture

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.