The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"I think I could make you 50% a year on $1 million...."

Anything related to investing, including crypto

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
"...No, I know I could. I guarantee that." - Warren Buffet.

This is a well known quote from Buffet. What strategy would you take to return 50% on $1 million? A few I've thought of:

• Bet it all on or against companies that are in a good market space but insolvent and struggling to stay out of bankruptcy?
  • One example is Teck Resources which hit lows around $3 in Dec 08 recovering to around $16 in July 09 and now reaching $61.
  • Many other copper, gold, silver and nickel focused companies had similarly huge gains recovering strongly after facing insolvency due rapid mineral price falls at the onset of the GFC.
  • You could also bet against companies if you are confident they won't recover.
  • Obviously this strategy has a huge downside risk and signs of recoveries can take more than our one year time frame.

• Look for companies that have a strong financial position (significant cash, high eps...) and are depressed due to whatever reason and bet they'll recover?
  • Issue with this if you want 50% annual returns is that such returns will only come over a longer period of time.
  • Also in the world of computerised analysis it is hard to find companies as undervalued as in Buffet's early days (he often bought solid companies with more equities than the market cap and pe ratios of 1).

• Look for companies undergoing INSIDERS buying/selling and buy/short in the hopes of making 5-10% returns monthly (reinvesting monthly gains). Set stop loss orders to limit the carnage if the price moves against you?
  • Risk is that despite INSIDERS buying in their favor any number of unforeseeable events could send prices rapidly falling/rising against your position.

• Listen out for major events and think about what they'll do to share and commodity prices on a macro level, place orders to reflect your beliefs.
  • One example is in late December on hearing flooding was closing down mines in Queensland you'd have done like me and taken up positions on smaller coking coal producers expecting them to gain heavily.
  • On the ASX cza is one such examples that shot up 25% in 3 weeks on news of floods.
  • You'd also take news on serious events like Russian wheat export bans, rare earth export bans, quantitive easing plans, defaults in the Eurozone etc... to take positions on commodity, currency and share prices.

Obviously if you want to make these kind of returns year after year on a principle of $1m you've got to be on the ball and have a constant stream of good information. You'd need to pay up for a bloomberg/reuters terminal or similar and would need a platform that allows you to quickly make trades in shares, currencies and commodities in a variety of markets.

Do you think you could make such returns. Would you use a strategy I listed or something else?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

Thanks for posting that.

Posted by PhxMJ to jake24;

PhxMJ - Aug 28th, 2010, 10:52 PM - permalink
You are a stranger in this forum, if you continue to post links to your free book and other short, one phrase posts, you will be banned. Several of your posts have already been removed because they have been non-contributory.

D

DeletedUser394

I would use a combination of strategies in a variety of markets. Haha, not a good answer, but that's what I'm doing.

I don't have nearly anything close to a million dollars though, so it's a lot easier for me to get in and out of positions in rather illiquid stocks.

You could just sit from morning to night buying and selling shares for 1%-5% returns based solely on news reports from CNBC, Bloomberg, BNN (canada), etc.

For instance I was watching CNBC yesterday. They had an exclusive story that they broke on a company (don't remember which one). Two minutes later, the stock decreased by 3% (I didn't look at the charts to see if it would drop further).

Same happened today with lululemon. Up 6% last I checked.

Oceanside

Banned
Dec 8, 2010
Aside from investing in my own company which generally does me better than 50% per year.

I would consider "shorting" AT&T about 6 months out from when it will lose it's exclusivity with the Iphone.

Almost a guaranteed loss in stock value.

To "not be a noob".

You would need to get in early enough and be able to sit on your investment for 6 months to a year.

And when the "big move" happened you would want your T/P (take profit) set before time.

How much money do you want to earn per share you are shorting.

And stick to your plan. Do NOT get greedy and expect AT&T to fall out of the sky and go belly up.

But I'm betting you could earn a pretty solid return on your money shorting them properly before they lose Iphone proprietary carrier status.

My 2 pennies.

Justin

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Michael,
this is possible, but improbable. I have had returns of -10% in '08, 110% in '09, and 40% in '10. That's an 38% average return over the last 3 years.

If you read some books about traders like Market Wizards, you will see that many traders achieve this return over the long term. But it isn't easy. And it isn't passive or part time.

It is a full time job requiring a full time commitment. I spend an enormous amount of time reading every day just looking for trends and triggers. Sometimes I go days or weeks without making a trade. Sometimes I make several trades per day.

Keeping your emotions in checking and following your trading rules are imperative. For me, risk management is the biggest issue. I spend most of my day figuring out ways of how not to lose money.

michael

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 22, 2008
Australia
Michael,
this is possible, but improbable. I have had returns of -10% in '08, 110% in '09, and 40% in '10. That's an 38% average return over the last 3 years.

When I read the quote I thought exactly the same as you, "possible but improbable". As I said in my first post in the world of computer screening unlike when he began there is no longer good companies that have slipped through the cracks and become valued at multiples of 1 or at less than the value of their cash holdings.

Very impressive 3 year average you have esp when year 1 of the period closed -10%.

If you read some books about traders like Market Wizards, you will see that many traders achieve this return over the long term. But it isn't easy. And it isn't passive or part time.

It is a full time job requiring a full time commitment. I spend an enormous amount of time reading every day just looking for trends and triggers. Sometimes I go days or weeks without making a trade. Sometimes I make several trades per day.

I'll put tha t book on my amazon list. In your trading what kind of resources do you use for information?

Keeping your emotions in checking and following your trading rules are imperative. For me, risk management is the biggest issue. I spend most of my day figuring out ways of how not to lose money.

No easy task considering the huge volatility in a number of currencies at this point in time. Thanks for the response Bobby.

jake24

Banned
Aug 28, 2010
Posted by PhxMJ to jake24;

PhxMJ - Aug 28th, 2010, 10:52 PM - permalink
You are a stranger in this forum, if you continue to post links to your free book and other short, one phrase posts, you will be banned. Several of your posts have already been removed because they have been non-contributory.
Wow... I THANKED A PERSON FOR POSTING SOMETHING I LIKED.... Go ahead and ban if you want and quit harrassing me you moron!!.. This forum sucks anyway.

D

DeletedUser394

Wow... I THANKED A PERSON FOR POSTING SOMETHING I LIKED.... Go ahead and ban if you want and quit harrassing me you moron!!.. This forum sucks anyway.

This is the first time I ever posted something addressed to you.

First off, the original post was asking a question.

If you wanted to thank someone for their post you press the little "Thanks" button at the bottom.

The first person who approached you about this was the FORUM OWNER.

Edit: Look at that, you're banned.

D

DeletedUser394

Going back to the original post, very true that for my strategy to work, the stocks would have to be very liquid. Most stocks, even those that are generally illiquid, surge/increase volume significantly when people react to breaking news, so that you can get in and out of almost any position quickly.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
In your trading what kind of resources do you use for information?

I read a lot. WSJ, Seeking Alpha, Zero Hedge, Yahoo Finance, Bloomberg, and a few others.

I developed my trading strategy reading many, many books about investing, trading, finance, economics, experience, hard knocks, big losses, etc.

I also interact with lots of other business people. I rarely speak to other investors/traders and when I do I don't really take tips or advice.

I have found that when I follow someone else's stategy, I tend to lose money. I don't like losing money.

I also subscribe to some investment newsletters. However, I read them for ideas and in depth research. But I still do my own research. I don't like making a trade based on someone else's ideas. Sometimes I agree with the analyst, sometimes not.

D

DeletedUser394

I read a lot. WSJ, Seeking Alpha, Zero Hedge, Yahoo Finance, Bloomberg, and a few others.

I developed my trading strategy reading many, many books about investing, trading, finance, economics, experience, hard knocks, big losses, etc.

I also interact with lots of other business people. I rarely speak to other investors/traders and when I do I don't really take tips or advice.

I have found that when I follow someone else's stategy, I tend to lose money. I don't like losing money.

I also subscribe to some investment newsletters. However, I read them for ideas and in depth research. But I still do my own research. I don't like making a trade based on someone else's ideas. Sometimes I agree with the analyst, sometimes not.

For TV stations, if you had to choose between CNBC and Bloomberg which would it be? I don't take any of the hosts' advice, but I like having breaking news streamed constantly in audio format.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

David

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 14, 2008
Sydney

I have to agree with this one, I've been recommended to buy stocks in an aircraft company once from a friend who bought it solemnly on graphs, which showed they were at their lowest. I didn't buy and he ended up losing 30% withing 2 weeks. Buy low? Ye. Thanks.

Valuation of stocks tend to either skyrocket or plumet when unforseen events occur or from media hype. To predict this event occuring prior to it happening is the probably the key to great returns.

kidgas

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2007
Indiana
Collars

I think I could do it with collars and some leverage. The best part is that I am to the point where I can do it and lock in gains. Little gains compounded are better than big gains with the occasional loss. I have tracked my own data to verify this. Hence, Warren Buffett's rule about not losing money.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I have found that when I follow someone else's stategy, I tend to lose money.

This is an excellent point! I believe the same as well. It is important for an individual to invest in a way that is most aligned with their personality.

Best regards.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.