The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I need to talk my way into this workplace

botnickguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 20, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Hey guys,

As maybe a few on this forum know I'm an (aspiring?) software developer who's looking to create a business based around software. Anyhow, there is a specific role at a specific small business located near me that would accelerate my mastery of my niche. But I just don't know how to get the job. To me and most people I know, it seems like getting somebody in SPECIFIC to hire you is next to impossible. I'm ridiculously motivated to make it happen though.

I'm wondering if anyone has specific advice on how I can persuade the management into interviewing me and bringing me on board. This isn't a huge, bureaucratic corporation. Just a small business located downtown that I can see myself bringing value to.

Do I just use copy to sell them? Would that work? Just using sales copy and writing about my skills? What can I do to grab their attention and say "Let's interview this guy?". Honestly, any advice would be useful to me. Especially from you employers out there. I'd be willing to do a job that is generally compensated at $40/hr in the market at minimum wage if that's what it took. I'm there for the growth.

If anybody can help me get an interview at this business, I will be incredibly grateful.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
What can I do to grab their attention and say "Let's interview this guy?"
Offer them something they value up front. An example would be creating nice looking business cards ($10) for a local business up front to get the opportunity to sell them a 40 page brochure ($500).
* Made up those prices

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
One of the best staff members we had went 'fight club' and stood outside our office for hours and would not leave until I talked to him. ...... He bombed the interview and I told him no. He emailed and called me on a regular follow up schedule for months until he got the job.

Quit finding reasons for 'why you can't' ....... Find 'how you can'!

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I'll teach you how for $500. You only pay me if you get the job.

:D

First, you gotta get some info. Figure out if they are in a hiring mode, most companies are always keeping an eye out for good people. You can email them using some random email, you search online to see if they are putting out any hiring requests in their hunt for good applicants, etc. If they are hiring, you treat it different than if they aren't really hiring.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Find the person that hires for your position. Tell them, "I'll make you look good for hiring me." If that doesn't lead to a conversation that you can close, you don't belong there.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
No, but I just looked that movie up. Looks like it might be good. Is it?
I liked it quite a bit. It's one of those weird, slightly darker movies that make you cringe, but intrigue you at the same time. So yeah, check it out.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Catch one of the leaders on Twitter.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.