The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I just went back 8 years of my life - Do you visit your past on a regular?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Olov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 10, 2019
I just spent a couple of hours to, finally, clean up my private email. 8 thousand emails got sorted. Took a good couple of hours.

It sucked big time.

Towards the end I came to my oldest emails, dating back to 2011-2012.

That was a sad read.

I've never forgotten the struggles of the past, but going through those sent and received emails was more intimate. I could remember the anxiousness, hardship and general struggle of my whole situation.

Basically it was loads of emails applying for jobs, everything from customer service to cleaning gigs. It was government "job seekers programs" where they hired coaches to train unemployed people on how to write a CV. I had to be there 6 hours a day, 5 days a week to get the benefits of like 300 euro a month (can't live off that in my country, that can only cover food. A monthly bus ticket cost 100 euro).

I stopped after a few days. It was depression at its finest to be there, among all the other unemployed people who just wanted a job to get by. Not sit there while some 18 year old told us how to write a CV and how to act in a job interview..

Life is completely different for me today. Married, self-employed, live in a good country and I'm financially comfortable.

So reading those emails were a good reminder not to F*ck up. Never get in that situation ever again. Never get too comfortable. Rarely waste money and rather invest or save them.

Obviously those hard years as a young man built character and gave some insights, and it was needed for me to grow up. But I would never ever want to be in that position again. So going back 8 years through those emails was like turning on turbo boost. I'm always hungry, but this made me even hungrier. I work a lot, but I also waste too much time on entertainment.

During my failed youth I also made music, so I plan on listening to that tonight to see if I get the same feeling from it.

I was not expecting this at all. The old emails and their content were not even in my mind when I started this annoying task of cleaning my emails.

Do you guys visit your past on a regular? If yes, how and why? Is it a necessary for you, so that you don't get too comfortable? When did you "go back to the past" and how did it affect you?

All the best.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Oct 23, 2020
UK
Spending time in the past makes one sad; spending time in the future makes one anxious; usually best to stay in the present where possible.

AdrianB

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 24, 2018
Romania
Hi Olov,
I've done the same think last week. Going through emails since I've been a student in 2008-2012. Oh, what memories, what struggles, remembered the people I used to chat on messenger, exchange emails, talk frequently. Life was not easy at that times, but I feel very often that I was more happy during that period than I am today. I really miss that time, 10 years ago, so much time, but remember as it was yesterday. I am really curious if some persons from the past are still thinking at me or completely forgot about me. Yeah, it was melancholy, took me three days to get back to reality...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.