The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have the opportunity to gain a contract with a Ecommerce furniture website and need some advice..

Mikhail Joseph

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 13, 2014
Australia
Hey guys, been a while.. I know. Busy busy.. Still at it, still haven't given up.

I've been running my own little offline delivery service and I was recently hired by someone who was paying me $40 a delivery.. I could manage up to 8 a day in the small van I own.

However, this wanker has screwed me and isn't paying me... Whilst I can accept a loss on the 900 I was meant to be getting ( I hadn't delivered much the past 2 weeks as I had a feeling ).. I'm not too fussed.

I instead decided to get a hold of the Director and figured it's better to screw this a**hole by taking his business rather than bitching over 900 dollars. All good.

I got a call with the director if this company and offered him my service and asked if I can have melbourne instead of the previous guy who hired me. I let him know what's been happening down here and how his company is getting a bad reputation via the courier service I was delivering for. He told me he was thinking about cutting out this guy and looking for business else where anyway. Great I thought, so i pitched my service and fastfoward, here we are with an email asking what rates I charge and that perhaps we can do business together.

So here I am, never in my life have I done something like this but as im more experienced with private quoting and services, I'm not experienced with dealing with proper companies.

So I ask, what rates should I offer him?

Mind you, a lot of the items are flatpack beds, boxed wine coolers and sometimes saunas. It's mostly outdoor furniture and bed sets and dining sets etc.

He told me that he was paying $55 a delivery to the guy who hired me. However, on the website of the ecommerce store, the saunas have delivery fee of 270$.

The beds get delivered for fee of around 35 dollars, but saunas and fridges range from 70 - 200 $ a delivery.

I'm just a little stuck here because I don't want to screw this up and risk losing business with this person.

is it okay to ask what rates he was paying to the person who originally hired me?

Cheers,
Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
What are your expenses? Gas, insurance, vehicle wear and tear, tolls, parking tickets...
How much does it cost for a competent driver? Don't forget to pay yourself.

Those costs should help you figure out the minimum you would accept.

You said the middle-man was offering $40 per delivery. Was that for any item? It would seem to me that larger items require more help and should cost more (but I have no experience here).

Hope this helps.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Are you just dropping off, or are you carrying the sauna from the truck into the backyard? Don't you need another guy with you to do some of these deliveries?

I would set my rates based on the item, just like on his website. If you were getting paid $40 before, was this for any size object?

Mikhail Joseph

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 13, 2014
Australia
Are you just dropping off, or are you carrying the sauna from the truck into the backyard? Don't you need another guy with you to do some of these deliveries?

I would set my rates based on the item, just like on his website. If you were getting paid $40 before, was this for any size object?

Well what I found out last night is that the guy who hires me is using a metric system for delivering the items. But yeah, I was paid 40 dollars per delivery.. I wouldn't take things I could not fit or take alone, however if I ever did the customers needed to help.

Perhaps I need to figure out what some of the competitors are charging as rates.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.