The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have an idea... :) Need some help (Branding, etc)

Idea threads

GuitarZan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 17, 2015
Hey,

Yes, another idea thread. This is my first one. I did AF marketing in the past, and can't stand it now. I would like a fastlane business. Something to call my own.

My gf and I thought a really great business idea would be in the form of a monthly tampon subscription service. I found out there were some companies already doing this, and then I read one of the last chapters in TMF about finding a unique spin, and generally just doing something better than the competition.

A lot of women do not like buying tampons in the store, and in the US alone, tampons are an 8 billion dollar a year business.

Currently, it seems pretty much all of the competition are just selling the normal brands. Our idea is to brand our business around organic tampons, to set ourselves apart from the pack. I have contacted a few companies to discuss purchasing from them, and we could get the tampons branded. My gf also says that she has never seen a company encase their tampons in something discreet looking like a lipstick case, etc, so that is another possible idea to set us apart.

I have also read some reviews about the other companies, and their seems to be a lot of complaints about shipping etc that would need to be handled.

You don't have to validate my idea, that is fine. But it would be great if I could get some help in the right direction, from people that have been down this route before with their own stuff. I have read some branding stuff, and am currently reading as much on this forum as I can. I don't code, but that can't stop me from outsourcing the web design. I read a few posts on copywriting, but I want to apply my time in the best possible way, and I think branding may be a good start. Thoughts?

All the Best,

Cody

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I love the idea. I did a quick search and found companies too so there seems to be a need. Did you also search Amazon ? Any blogs advertise or write about this ?

Study the competition deep. See what you can find. Let us know.

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
Is there really a demand for organic tampons? I've never seen organic toiletries. There are "natural" spray cleaners, which had a problem to solve (harsh chemicals).

Not sure if people will pay more for organic in that category, but it would probably increase your cost.

Otherwise, a good candidate for monthly subscription for obvious reasons.

...and don't listen to some dude on the internet for obvious reasons. You may be on to something. It is a very personal product after all. Much more so than tissue or q tips, etc. Good luck.

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
Something I heard the other day

"It's a lot easier if you find someone who knows they have a problem, rather than trying to convince someone they have a problem, even if it's true."

So look for complaints.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
OP, Are you serious?

I thought you were trolling.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I subscribe to that razor subscription service, dollarshaveclub.com. Great service, great branding. But, I do that because their razors are just as good as ones that cost 4x as much at Costco.

if 'organic' tampons are in demand, this might be a good idea.

I'm not even sure what an organic tampon is, though...made from organic cotton?

and...a box of tampons at costco is quite reasonably priced, in my opinion. Not so with razors, which are waaay too expensive.

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
and...a box of tampons at costco is quite reasonably priced, in my opinion.

I agree. I don't think it's a value play at all. I think the appeal here is twofold: the organic factor, and the privacy/convenience factor.

Ladies, is the privacy thing really an issue? At the grocery store, I don't really notice that women are embarrassed when they put a package of tampons on the belt.

GuitarZan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 17, 2015
Hey,

Yes my post was serious.

Organic tampons are made from organic cotton. The normal tampons a female gets from the store are made with various materials that can pose problems, and are not biodegradable.

Obviously, they would not appeal to everyone - But nothing ever does. There are already sub services offering this stuff, but not organic, and I believe I can do better marketing.

The main convenience is not having to buy tampons at the store. There actually seems to be quite a few women that do not like this.

Cody

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Ladies, is the privacy thing really an issue?

Not at all. I don't know where GuitarZan is getting that from. That information is completely inaccurate.

Why would anyone order / subscribe to something you can get at the drugstore next door? It doesn't make any sense.

Secondly, there are already organic and natural options for this product. There's too many choices as it is.

Thirdly, there are already plenty of unique cases available. (including lipstick cases)

Last edited:

GuitarZan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 17, 2015
Hey,

So your saying that every woman is comfortable buying tampons in the store? Why do these tampon sub services exist then with customers? I have been checking out different boards and plenty of women have said they loved this idea, and there were also many reviews around regarding the current subscriptions service providers.

All the Best,

Cody

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
So your saying that every woman is comfortable buying tampons in the store?

Of course!! Why would they be uncomfortable?

That's like me asking if you are comfortable buying shampoo.

And then trying to get you to sign up with me on a subscription basis to have your regular shampoo that you buy at the drugstore shipped from across the country, with postal delays, shipping fees, etc.

Know what I mean?

Anyway, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions :)

GuitarZan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 17, 2015
Hey,

Thanks for the help. I still think it's worth putting effort into. If anything I can learn something to help me in the future. I am not completely set on the organic either. I know the most important part is marketing.

All the Best,

Cody Kahl

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
Just test it! Sign up for one of the landing page programs, create a page, and test it using facebook ads. You should be able to gauge the interest with a couple hundred in spending and know if it is something that will work or not.

Don't worry about branding at the start. Find out if it is a need that people are willing to pay for then worry about the brand.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Since I'm a guy I have absolutely no idea of how big the need of this product is. But I don't think women have a problem with buying tampons publicly. I think it's as normal as buying a deo or a razor.

CoolAV8R

Cleared For The Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Oct 15, 2015
Georgia
@GuitarZan

The only way you will ever know is to test the idea. I would encourage you to go for it and see how it plays out.

By the way...do you listen to Eric Johnson?

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
First of all thanks for making me laugh today, your business idea is funny as hell. Seriously man, your Unique Value Proposition (UVP) is Organic?

Few Points:

1. Your niching down a lot here, organic tampons? AND Subscription service? You would be lucky to get 10 customers for this in a year.
2. You should concentrate on your strength and your passion. Tampons is not your game, one smack in the face and you will quit. You will be smacked a hundred times in business and you need it to be your passion to get back up again.
3. Think bigger, find something important to solve. Dollar shave club was a great idea as razors were expensive as hell. There was a big need for razors that didnt cost you 2 hours of your pay for.

I was an idiot too only a few years ago. If you keep going you will get better ideas and things will get better but this idea is for the bin.

How old are you and what is your field of expertise?

GMJimmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 19, 2015
I was distributing/wholesale organic tampons but as part of a complete product range. Was not a great business, normal tampons sold a lot better on the same market at the same time. There was a demand but just very small, about 3% of the non-organic sales.
Maybe if you add a selection as well, that would help to raise the revenue.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Hey,

So your saying that every woman is comfortable buying tampons in the store? Why do these tampon sub services exist then with customers? I have been checking out different boards and plenty of women have said they loved this idea, and there were also many reviews around regarding the current subscriptions service providers.

All the Best,

Cody

I like the idea, but don't women buy this stuff in bulk? I live with 3 women...they use pads, not tampons. I've seen boxes of pads in the laundry cupboard, enough to last a few months, for each of them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.