- Joined
- Jun 17, 2017
- Messages
- 79
Rep Bank
$705
$705
User Power: 142%
Yesterday, I closed on Chapters 6-10 of UNSCRIPTED . On page 52, I came across the hyperreality #9 Corporations. After I read this, I realized that in many ways, myself and other colleagues were collaborators in all of it.
As money is not evil, nor are corporations. The people that manage money, and the people that manage corporations, and those that work to support corporations have a choice to exercise good or evil intentions with them.
I had shared in my introduction a few days ago that I am facing a 2nd layoff among an IT company that has one of the largest global workforces behind it. Shame on me for not learning the first time, and shame on me for allowing it to happen a second time. By next week, I am out whether I like it or not. 20 years of nothing, chapter closed.
Through all of this in the last few months, I heard several perspectives stated:
1) Employee not facing layoff - "I hope the company stock recovers so I keep my job, grow my 401K, and I make some extra money from the stock purchase program to retire in the next few years".
2) Employees facing layoff (with me) - "Nothing but corporate greed, it's all about the shareholders and never about taking care of the employees".
3) Employees retired from company - "These things are necessary by management, just the way it goes. I need the company to do well and stay around for the sake of my pension and retirement benefits".
At some particular point, we all wanted a strong company, strong stock performance, strong retirement options, the bonus for performance, etc. Return on Investment (ROI), payback are key metrics for any investors. When it comes down to it, a company's loyalty is always back to Wall Street - the shareholder's return.
As I take this back to the hyperreality of corporations, I just found it interesting by having a 401K with company stock, by participating in an employee purchase program, it was acceptable by all of us of wanting higher gains and better performance no matter what - as long as we had what was protected and walked away with a job at the end of the day. And when things don't go well with that performance, everyone is screaming, "They need to do something about that stock performance! The performance is terrible! My 401K is down, my gains are down!".
Multiply the hundred of thousands of interests in the company performance that everyone holds from individuals, to executive officers to financial institutions and funds. Those who so desired for increased performance (including myself) became now victims of the actions we advocated for in the desire to achieve profitability. The result - we don't have time to be innovative - that takes too long. We need results fast - we need work elimination or by hiring cheaper resources, cut the costs, remove the liability of benefits owed to each employee to balance things out.
Corporations are not greedy. People are greedy, and I was greedy. As a "shareholder", (though a tiny tiny tiny tiny fraction), I expected my "share" of return regardless. I found it interesting in the quest of return that myself and others brought about our own demise. In the end, we savaged our own for quest of profitability.
Sincerely,
LF
As money is not evil, nor are corporations. The people that manage money, and the people that manage corporations, and those that work to support corporations have a choice to exercise good or evil intentions with them.
I had shared in my introduction a few days ago that I am facing a 2nd layoff among an IT company that has one of the largest global workforces behind it. Shame on me for not learning the first time, and shame on me for allowing it to happen a second time. By next week, I am out whether I like it or not. 20 years of nothing, chapter closed.
Through all of this in the last few months, I heard several perspectives stated:
1) Employee not facing layoff - "I hope the company stock recovers so I keep my job, grow my 401K, and I make some extra money from the stock purchase program to retire in the next few years".
2) Employees facing layoff (with me) - "Nothing but corporate greed, it's all about the shareholders and never about taking care of the employees".
3) Employees retired from company - "These things are necessary by management, just the way it goes. I need the company to do well and stay around for the sake of my pension and retirement benefits".
At some particular point, we all wanted a strong company, strong stock performance, strong retirement options, the bonus for performance, etc. Return on Investment (ROI), payback are key metrics for any investors. When it comes down to it, a company's loyalty is always back to Wall Street - the shareholder's return.
As I take this back to the hyperreality of corporations, I just found it interesting by having a 401K with company stock, by participating in an employee purchase program, it was acceptable by all of us of wanting higher gains and better performance no matter what - as long as we had what was protected and walked away with a job at the end of the day. And when things don't go well with that performance, everyone is screaming, "They need to do something about that stock performance! The performance is terrible! My 401K is down, my gains are down!".
Multiply the hundred of thousands of interests in the company performance that everyone holds from individuals, to executive officers to financial institutions and funds. Those who so desired for increased performance (including myself) became now victims of the actions we advocated for in the desire to achieve profitability. The result - we don't have time to be innovative - that takes too long. We need results fast - we need work elimination or by hiring cheaper resources, cut the costs, remove the liability of benefits owed to each employee to balance things out.
Corporations are not greedy. People are greedy, and I was greedy. As a "shareholder", (though a tiny tiny tiny tiny fraction), I expected my "share" of return regardless. I found it interesting in the quest of return that myself and others brought about our own demise. In the end, we savaged our own for quest of profitability.
Sincerely,
LF
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
